Am I entitled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I entitled

As some of you know my van was damaged by the mechanic at a garage when I went to get my inspection requiring new gas tank as well as some body work. I had the vehicle to to the conversion place and they will be doing the work. The garage's insurance company states that they will pay for a rental for seven days.

One. It will be more than seven days for my car to be returned I have been without it since before the first.

Two. There are currently no rentals available in my area that would suit my needs (utilizing a power wheelchair)

Three. I called an ambulette service and they want $400 round-trip to go into Manhattan for one day.

I need to know if I am able to sue the garage for the monies that I would be entitled to under a rental even though a rental is not available.

I'd also like to know if this is ever happened to anyone else. Please e-mail me or send me a private message if you would like.

Thanks in advance.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I am not litigious, but I would be talking with an attorney. You need transportation, and it should be made available to you during the repairs. Good luck!

Comment

They need to hire you a vehicle and a driver, for now. Lawyer up at 9:01 am. tomorrow, this is BS. You need a lawyer anyway, the lady not wanting to claim it on her insurance, there at the beginning, is the first indication they are wanting to screw you imo. The stereo installation place that did it to my car 28 years ago did the same ploy.

I am also not litigious. I also am not anybody's doormat (as I know you aren't, either.) You've got all the cards stacked against you in the world of car mechanics-female, disabled, and now immobile-and you need an equalizer. Like yesterday. jmo

I'm saying you need a driver b/c of my last go-round. Jake wrecked my van. I had to get somewhere, I think Mom was having surgery and I needed to get to Kansas. Insurance entitles me to a rental car, I pay for that coverage. I said I just need hand controls and to be able to load my little manual chair-I don't even use a ramp on my own van! I said get me a Grand Caravan and pull the middle seats out, they have Grand Caravans in their fleet at Enterprise.

Yeah. Like that happened. 3 weeks later, they found one, in Dallas. Such a bunch of crap. Actually, you've reminded me, I need to speak to my insurance. If the benefit isn't really available to me I shouldn't be paying the premium for it.

I'm positive they won't find a van you can use. I think there must be some alternative and driver is all I'm coming up with. Any way that could be made t work?

I'm so sorry, Liz. This sucks w/ the full pull of all gravity.
      Last edited by betheny; 10 Aug 2008, 1:45 PM.
      Blog:
      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Liz, here's a website you might want to check out.
        consumer advocates

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
        - Barack Obama

Comment

Thanks again.
          Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Comment

This situation is unique and has me thinking about how these situations are resolved. What if you're half way into a semester at school and your vehicle gets wiped out by someone else's negligence?

A rental for 7 days sounds like a load of crap, it should be for as long as it takes to get the vehicle repaired to your satisfaction. You don't seem to have much choice but to consult an attorney, in my opinion.

Comment

I'm wondering how the hell she gets to the attorney's office, though. OMG this stuff seems insurmountable sometimes...
              Blog:
              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
                I'm wondering how the hell she gets to the attorney's office, though. OMG this stuff seems insurmountable sometimes...
                It's quite frustrating. yesterday Called the garage's insurance co. She called me back stating she was told a rental was available. She was wrong. Called her back at @ 3 pm...it's 12:30 now...nada

Called and left another message. 2pm..guess I'm not going to the mayor's gracie mansion for the bar-be-que
                Last edited by Liz321; 12 Aug 2008, 2:17 PM.

Comment

Liz, I would think you'd be entitled to some sort of compensation for your pain and suffering (inconvenience) too.

I was involved in a minor fender bender a few years back, a car rear ended my sisters truck, a traffic officer called the ambulance so I could be checked out at the hospital -- no damage was done to my neck. The drivers insurance company paid for all my hospital expenses and wrote me a check for $1500 for my suffering.

Much luck in getting your van back asap, i'm sure it sucks to be without transportation.
                  A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321
                    As some of you know my van was damaged by the mechanic at a garage when I went to get my inspection requiring new gas tank as well as some body work. I had the vehicle to to the conversion place and they will be doing the work. The garage's insurance company states that they will pay for a rental for seven days.

One. It will be more than seven days for my car to be returned I have been without it since before the first.

Two. There are currently no rentals available in my area that would suit my needs (utilizing a power wheelchair)

Three. I called an ambulette service and they want $400 round-trip to go into Manhattan for one day.

I need to know if I am able to sue the garage for the monies that I would be entitled to under a rental even though a rental is not available.

I'd also like to know if this is ever happened to anyone else. Please e-mail me or send me a private message if you would like.

Thanks in advance.
                    Liz

I'm an insurance agent so I can tell you the insurer is only responsible for the coverages that the garage is paying for. They elected for 7 day's of coverage and usually there is a maximum amount per day with that.

So you will need to go after the garage it self. Sue the garage, they should be bonded.

Comment

Ah ha, see there, right from the sn, ooops horses mouth. Good luck.

Comment

jus kiddn Rain.

Comment

Oh suck liz......best of luck to you!

Comment

i was just going to say, most ins. policies have a max/day rental (see it's been said). this is why i don't bother with that coverage. i had a repair shop wreck my van, they used hand controls instead of pedals. anyway, short of suing Goodyear (the shop), i just had to wait it out. i'm not big on suing.

Comment

it's done
                              garage that did damage has had check over a week (never called me)
                              conversion placed asked where the check was.............
                              what a f*ck up this has been

Comment

Working...
                              X