Getting back on SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back on SSDI

Well, I now can state, from experience, after working 21 yrs as a quad that getting back on SSDI was extremely easy. I am now approved, my dependent child is approved.

I applied 1 and a half months ago after being on medical LOA from work since the end of January. I never even had to go to an SSA office. Forms were filed online by me and the local SSA office only called twice with minor questions.

What a difference from 22 years ago! So don't be afraid you'll have trouble getting back on SSDI just because you've worked for years or are thinking of doing so.

So glad to hear you have gotten that settled Cass.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Yeah, the only criterion for sci chair users is that you are not working.

Congratulations! Your 21 years work as a quad with a kid is phenomenal, enjoy your well desrved retirement.

Comment

Glad to hear this was reinstated for you and your son without delay or hassle.

Here's hoping retirement will allow you to have less physical pain.

Comment

I'm glad that went so smoothly! That's one big worry - gone!
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

thx, but i assure you i am not planning on retirement just yet! i will be on med LOA several more months. i just wanted ppl to know getting back on SSDI was relatively easy.

we shall see what the following months bring. COBRA starts 8/1 and i am trying to figure out life insurance. i can convert my boeing paid policy. anyway, i imagine i will have to continue LOA for several months while i sort out what to do with the rest of my life.

so, folks, i just wanted everyone to know how easy it was to get back on SSDI so nobody is afraid to go out there and work. you will have no trouble getting back on SSDI if you need to.

Comment

Cass-
              did they recalculate how much you get for SSDI from what you'd gotten before? I'm concerned about it b/c the last several quarters before my accident I was making A LOT more money than I anticipate initially making going back to work(the year before I was at at least 50K including all the OT and frelance jobs I was working)...I don't want it to be recalculated down to a lower ammt than what I'm getting now...
              'Chelle
              L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

chelle, no. i am getting what i have earned. they didn't even look at what i got all those years ago. it was definitely worth it to work for many reasons, but this is one of them. my SSDI is much higher now. they look at all your work quarters.

Comment

glad that worked out for you Do you know if they can lower your SSDI payment if you go back to work and don't make as much as you used to? That's my big concern...
                  'Chelle
                  L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

chelle, i don't think they can lower it, but i will ask. i know that my SSDI is higher than my SS retirement and if i live that long, my SSDI will convert to SS retirement but my monthly check stays the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Broknwing
                      glad that worked out for you Do you know if they can lower your SSDI payment if you go back to work and don't make as much as you used to? That's my big concern...
                      That's my worry too. Pre-injury I earned 6 figures --- That's not going to happen again. I've been afraid to earn over my SGA and forego SSDI for this reason.
                      My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

I believe they use a fixed number of quarters, using your best earnings quarters but to be sure see what's on ssa.gov

Comment

Hi Cass, see your in Wa. Not many west coasters here, then saw your an aerospace eng, or were, since your ssdi was okayed. Congrats. So you probably live near Everett i'd be thinkin,I'm in Edmonds. Mainly just wanted to say hi, I'm fairly new here,and really do enjoy the banter, but esp. the huge base of info available.I went on ssdi about 13 yrs ago. I had lupus for 30 yrs or so, and my wife wanted me at the time to go on it,esp. for our youngest at the time was 8,wanted to be sure he got to know his dad because things were a bit hairy health wise at the time.Well here I am yrs later and still kickin.
                          My rheumatologist and I were and are good friends and he heartily agreed with my wife, so she wrote up application Took copies of all, because they'd ask same question later on, and ans. had to be pretty close. She killed them with info, but main thing was I had history to back it up. The soc sec guy called my dr, ad said he'd had alot of my doc's patients over the yrs and he didn't want to read all the answers, said he knew dr's history and if he thot I needed to be on SSDI that that was good enuf for him.Doc responded "that if anyone needed to be on it I did"
                          BINGO .3 weeks to okay. My work place people had been really worried about if I could make it because of history of other's trying and it possibly takeing mo.'s or yr's to get okayed,but my wife is a great writer and really nailed down how to kill 'em kindness, and a hell of alot of info, more, an more n more.
                          Just wanted to inroduce myself , say hi, neighbor, and ain't retirement great. PS, my dad worked at the big B for 38 yrs. Good luck. Guy

Comment

Hi everyone... I am glad the reapplication process was simple for you. I would like to stress one small thing: to be eligible for SSDI every individual has to meet 3 criteria:
                            1. you must have a medical condition expected to last at least 1 year or result in death,
                            2. you can not be working at the time of application and earning over Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA), $940 gross/month in 2008,
                            3. You must have worked in the past and earned credits in the system (you would have earned a credit for every three month period you worked and earned atleast 1,050.00 and can earn a max of 4 credits per year), the number of credits you need depends on your age and the amount of SSDI you are eligible for depends on the amount of income you made before becoming disabled.

For people who meet the first two but who have not worked and earned a work history and credits (and who are not eligible to draw their benefits off another persons record, such as a parent if they became disabled before the age of 21 and one of their parents are deceased, retired, or disabled), these individuals get SSI - Supplemental Security Income.

This informations is available online in SSA's RED BOOK. Simply type "ssa red book" in your search engine. For more specific information, contact me.

CWIC Melanie

Comment

hi melanie,

i question condition 1. in my ssdi award letter it made no reference to how long my dis is expected to last. it said i am determined to be permanently disabled due to the fact i cannot work in my current occupation (the letter's exact wording for current occupation escapes me but i will find it).

the letter specifically said i was eligible for ssdi after 5 months of not working due to a dis. it said absolutely nothing about expected duration of dis. could you please cite a source? tyvm.

the Red Book is cited in the sticky on this topic. i do suggest everybody read it and it is available online.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/
                              Last edited by cass; 8 Oct 2008, 3:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X