Moving from Canada to Florida - Need Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Good point Lorrie. I'll ask that question when I inquire about insurance as a snow bird with my insurance company up here. With my condition, I may be denied by insurance up here which would really piss me off !
    Another problem brought to my attention by an immigration lawyer yesterday is that there are only 3 ways to become a legal US citizen.

- sponsorship by family member or spouse who live in the US
    - sponsorship by an employer from the US
    - starting or investing in a business. Minimum investment of $100,000.00 and you have to be majority owner with at least 2 or 3 employees.

Later......Paul

Comment

KLD - Hawaii requires every employer (even if only one employee) to provide health insurance to its employees who work at least 20 hours a week, and pay at least 50% of the premiums, unless the employee premium is more than 1.5% of wages. If it exceeds 1.5%, he pays the lesser amount of 1.5% and we pay the rest.

I've just recently discovered this while setting up our business in that state. We also will need to provide non-work related disability insurance for 3 months after disability, per the laws in Hawaii, on top of the standard workers' compensation insurance for on-the-job injuries.

Hawaii seems to have stepped ahead of the mainland where health insurance is concerned.

Source
      Formula for Payment of Premium. Hawaii employers may cover the full cost of the health
      insurance premium, or share the cost with their employees. Based on a fixed formula, the law
      requires employers to contribute 50 percent of the premium cost for single coverage, and the
      employee must contribute the balance, as long as the employee’s share does not exceed 1.5
      percent of his or her wages.
      - more –
      Page 2
      A person who works 40 hours per week at a salary of $10 per hour would earn $1,733 per
      month. If the cost of insurance (single coverage) is $150 per month, half that amount is $75, and
      1.5 percent of the worker’s salary is $26. As stipulated by the Act, the worker would pay the
      lesser of the two amounts ($26) and the employer pays the rest ($124).
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbyapple
        Hi

Good point Lorrie. I'll ask that question when I inquire about insurance as a snow bird with my insurance company up here. With my condition, I may be denied by insurance up here which would really piss me off !
        Another problem brought to my attention by an immigration lawyer yesterday is that there are only 3 ways to become a legal US citizen.

- sponsorship by family member or spouse who live in the US
        - sponsorship by an employer from the US
        - starting or investing in a business. Minimum investment of $100,000.00 and you have to be majority owner with at least 2 or 3 employees.

Later......Paul
        Have you considered The Bahamas? As a Commonwealth country it might be easier to immigrate. I know several Canadians living in The Bahamas, but they do return to Canada for annual health care, as The Bahamas is limited in that area.

Comment

Working...
        X