Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does this "9 month work trial period work with ssdi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does this "9 month work trial period work with ssdi?

Anyone had expierience with it? Maybe point me to a government/state (fl.) website that expains it or a previous thread would be cool too.. thanks
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

I googled, hope this helps:
    http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10095.html
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

look to the first sticky on this page, the ssa redbook.
      http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/eng/main.htm

and remember, ssdi is federal, not subject to state laws. in other words, the 9 month trial work period and the other ssdi rules (you can work and get ssdi given you earn under significant gainful activity, which i believe is now $900/month or your work related expenses get you under the 900) do not vary state to state.
      Last edited by cass; 25 Mar 2008, 7:34 AM.

Comment

The Ticket to Work program has not been implemented in all states yet though, even though it is a federal program.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

ticket to work program

Baron;

The ticket to work program is available in Florida. The people to contact are at the Florida Division of Vocational Rehab. They can be accessed through your state government website under disability services. They use a number of state as well as private contractors (almost like employment agencies) to help you find work, or prepare for work or school. Some of them are better than others, so choose very very wisely. Best to stick with official state programs in my opinion. In my state they will help with some of the expenses to get you to the place you want to be. for example, a bus pass, phone or other things including clothing. but only the bare necessities that are required, nothin fancy. The vocational rehab way is not going to throw you out into the work world unprepared, so it takes time and nothing happens overnite. It could in fact, take months. But it is better to be prepared with a better chance of success in the long run. Best of luck to you.
          Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

thanks..uguys rock. iwoulda just googled i but i didnt know the exact name.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
              The Ticket to Work program has not been implemented in all states yet though, even though it is a federal program.

(KLD)
              i don't think the ticket to work program has anything to do with the trial 9 month work period. the trial 9 month work period, in my exp. and reading, is federal. its terms are clearly spelled out in the ssa links on the links on this thread good luck, baron. use the redbook at every local ssa office. from exp., i can tell you, the local ssa employees are not educated on it.
              Last edited by cass; 26 Mar 2008, 2:43 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were the same, but the intent for both is the same. Trial work periods are available in all states, but Ticket to Work only in some.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

baron, if you return to work, then your SSDI checks will continue for 12 full months, not 9. Good luck.
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

and then.....ssdi gors away?100 percet? forever? what i i stop working or cant.
                    Last edited by barondidit; 27 Mar 2008, 1:20 AM.

Comment

You will not lose your safety net if it doesnt work out. But you need to know the rules. If you call around, you can get information about the best way to approach getting into work. there are several ways, but the ticket to work comes from the social security office, and is not offered to everyone, they generally contact you. You might try talking to someone at the state voc rehab. they are usually up on the rules and regs that apply to us. Keep trying, or go to your local state employment office and ask questions, sometimes they can be helpful, too. They are not only there to dispense unemployment checks. Most importantly, dont give up. You deserve to have the best chances at working if that is what you want or need to do. The systems may be complicated and somewhat cumbersome to work with, and getting information can be difficult, but you just need to keep calling around until you find the right person who can give you the answers that you need. Best of luck .
                      Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

if you can't continue to work because of your dis, you go back on ssdi. i'm most likely headed that way now. the thing is, the longer you can work, the more you pay into ssdi and the higher your benefit gets. i've worked 21 yrs out of 22 being dis. my ssdi payment will be much higher because of it. in fact, it exceeds my ssa retirement payment (and my ssa retirement eligibility is yrs away). the advantage of going on ssdi now, rather than killing myself working, is if i make it to retirement age, my payment will not revert to the lower retirement one but will remain the same.

the trial work period's intent is for you to continue to get your ssdi check while you see if you can really handle working. as long as you are dis and have the work quarters to be eligible for ssdi, you will always be eligible for it.

again, i'll emphasize the trial work period is diff from the ticket to work program. also, don't forget, you might still work indefinitely and get ssdi IF you have sufficient work related expenses to get you under the $900 or so SGA.

in any case, you will not permenantly lose ssdi. well, unless ssa goes belly up....

the ssa redbook is really the bible on your questions. i learned that long ago. it may be cumbersome to read but i can pretty much assure you, it behooves you to read and understand it, and take it to every ssa office visit you have.

there are also ss attorneys out there, but if it comes to that, do not use yellow pages. get a referral. i'm fortunate enough to have a childhood friend who is a judge so she knows exactly who i need to talk to.
                        Last edited by cass; 27 Mar 2008, 2:56 AM.

Comment

According to the brochure my social worker gave me, it says that if you are SSDI, the trial work period allows you to test your ability to work for at least 9 months. During your trial work period, you will receive your full Social Security benefits regardless of how much you are earning as long as you report your work activity and you continue to have a disability impairment.
                          It also says that after the trial work period,you have 36 months during which you can work and still receive benefits for any month your earnings are not "substantial" (the Extended Period of Eligibility). Earnings of $900.00 or more are considered substantial. No new application or disability decision is needed for you to receive a Social Security disability benefit during this period.
                          If you lose your job during the trial work period, your benefits are not affected, If you lose your job during the 36-month extended period of eligibility, call SS and your benefits will be reinstanted as long as you are still disabled.
                          The name of the brochure is "Working While Disabled-How We Can Help".

Hope this helps! I am currently taking CNA classes, and once they are completed and I get my state certification, I plan on going on the trial work period program. If you have more questions about this, I'd talk to your social worker. Mine helped me a out a whole lot with understanding the rules and stuff for going back to work. I also agree with Cass, if needed, get an attorney if you have a whole lot of trouble with getting a job while on SSDI. Carol, one of the nurse managers at the nursing home I am taking CNA classes at, has helped me a whole lot with the SS stuff and working. Carol has told me constantly that just because I am in a wheelchair, doesn't mean I can do a CNA job like all the other able bodied people at the nursing home.

Jessie
                          Last edited by jessie.gray; 5 May 2008, 1:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cass
                            i don't think the ticket to work program has anything to do with the trial 9 month work period. the trial 9 month work period, in my exp. and reading, is federal. its terms are clearly spelled out in the ssa links on the links on this thread good luck, baron. use the redbook at every local ssa office. from exp., i can tell you, the local ssa employees are not educated on it.
                            Please look at Ticket to Work on the SSA website. This program allows for a longer trial work period as well as the ablity to keep Medicaid/Medicare. One of my co-workers returned to work on this program and 3 years later he is still getting services from SS, his state and his salary.

Ticket to Work is also a Federal program but has not been funded in all states. Currently it has been introduced in each state but some such as MO do not offer it any longer. Also, as your Voc Rehab counselor to wite a PASS plan, this allows you to deduct any disability work related expenses from your salary thus reducing your "gainful employment dollars".
                            Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Having gone through this without ever being aware of it... O,o
                              I worked actually for 10 maybe 11 months almost before I went 100% fully disabled... And, it allows disabled people the chance to see how they handle working... And, if you can't do it, then the idea is no penalty accurs against your claim.

baron, no sadly they do not cover 100% it is a percentage of your last worked wage. And, for me it worked to about 60% of my last working wage, I am 38 now, and this will cover me until I turn retirement age... Once, I actually get it.

I was denied and appealed in 2005, and in 2/08 I finally got my first appeals hearing. Where in less than 20 minutes I was approved. It takes 3 to 6 weeks to hear from the Admin Law Judge (letter sent), then after this 3 to 6 months to hear from the review team (letter tells you how much you have heading your way), and then another 3 to 6 more months before that award actually is in your hands. I live in NY, Upstate where the back log is insane and worse.

I would do anything to be out of this freak'n chronic pain, even in my wheelchair I would get back to work in a heartbeat.

When I was first denied that as well as other real life issues, and medications going wrong... Caused a full break down, and landed me in the mental ward of the hospital I work at... Where I had to fight like hell to work my way back to being me... In over three years now I have had no repeat issues...

But, the SSD system is slow, and for the most part the first claim is mostly denied. Appeal it. Other parts of the country are not nearly as backed up as we are, so the wait for you will be shorter. But, it is something that can happen... And, if you do not have Long Term Insurance Caverage... As I did and do, the kind that covers old, or past medical issues as well as new oned to leave someone disabled... They will cover you for up to 60% of your last worked wages... And, once SSD comes through, you pay them off the top first for the money they paid you, in expectations of your SSD being approved...

In my case, my employer has a policy that if SSD fails to approve me, my LTD covers me until I hit retirment age, and SSI would kick in. No repayment needed, as I never got SSD. And, if SSD pays less than 60% LTD will cover the rest... So, know your policy, ask your employer benefits people about these things.

Because without these in place... Even waiting 1 year as SSD gets its act together can leave you homeless... And, with out much of anything...
                              Kite
                              Riding Proud!
                              The Proactive Patient & Advocate
                              Never give up trying. Never.

Comment

Working...
                              X