Sarah Palin under consideration to head the Veteran's Administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Palin under consideration to head the Veteran's Administration

Sarah Palin under consideration to head the Veteran's Administration. Head hurt!

All the best,
    GJ

God forbid!! The last thing we need in the VA is an airhead like her.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

As governor of Alaska she mentioned having to deal with Russia which led to Tina Fay's SNL skit. To my great embarrassment I had no idea how far it was from Alaska to Russia. Does anyone here know off the top of your head?

C5/C6

Comment

56mi I think.

Good Grief!! Where is Mad Magazine when you need them? (which this is resembling)
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Can You Really See Russia From Alaska?

Yes, but only the boring parts.

By Nina Rastogi

Neighbors Russia and Alaska

In her Sept. 11 interview with ABC's Charlie Gibson, Sarah Palin had this to say about Russia: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Is that true?

Yes. Russia and Alaska are divided by the BeringStrait, which is about 55 miles at its narrowest point. In the middle of the Bering Strait are two small, sparsely populated islands: Big Diomede, which sits in Russian territory, and Little Diomede, which is part of the United States. At their closest, these two islands are a little less than two and a half miles apart, which means that, on a clear day, you can definitely see one from the other. The Diomede Islands are often blanketed by persistent fog, which makes visibility difficult. On a clear day, though, a person standing at sea level can see a little less than three miles across the ocean. You can see farther if you go higher—at the highest altitude on Little Diomede (919 feet), you can see for about 37 miles. (Between mid-December and mid-June, when the water between the two islands freezes, an intrepid explorer can just walk from one to the other.)

The tactical importance of this proximity is debatable, however:Big Diomede has no permanent population though it does house an important weather station. Alaskans can, however, see into the future from Little Diomede since Big Diomede (or Ratmanov Island, as it's known to the Russians) is on the other side of the International Date Line.

You can also see Russia from other points in Alaska. According to a New York Times article written in the waning years of the Cold War (when the Alaska-Siberia border was known as the "Ice Curtain"), if you stand on high ground on the tip of St. Lawrence Island—a larger Alaskan island in the Bering Sea, southwest of the Diomedes—you can see the Russian mainland, about 37 miles away. The same article claims that you can see Russia from the Tin City Air Force facility at Cape Prince of Wales, which is the westernmost point of the mainland Americas.The station chief at Tin City confirms that, for roughly half the year, you can see Siberian mountain ranges from the highest part of the facility.

It's not as if Alaskans can see into the heart of the Kremlin, though. The region you'd be seeing from these vantage points is the Chukotka autonomous district, a massive, desolate expanse of about 285,000 square miles with a population of about 55,000. (That's an area roughly the size of Texaswith a population the size of Pine Bluff, Ark.) Chukotka has fewer than 400 miles of road and no railroad infrastructure; the population is mostly employed in mining and subsistence hunting. The more strategic areas of the Russian coastline, militarily speaking—the Kamchatka Peninsula, home to a nuclear submarine base, or Vladivostok, headquarters of the Russian Pacific Fleet—are not visible from Gov. Palin's home state.

Palin does have Obama beat, though: The closest foreign territory to Hawaii is the Micronesian Republic of Kiribati, but at more than 1,000 miles away, it's not remotely visible with the naked eye.

Got a question about today's news? Ask the Explainer.

Explainer thanks Stephen Blank of the Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College, Greg Durocher of the Alaska Science Center, Clifford Gaddy of the Brookings Institute, and Vance Spaulding of the Tin City Long Range Radar Site.

Comment

I have no time, someone post her credentials vs the last 2 who held position.

Comment

It’s widely known they have posts and observe each other with binoculars frequently too. I see you, you see me.

Comment

But, she could dance and sing while putting on a good show for a few years. She might even one-up Tina Fey, or for that matter invite her on her “tours” of Vets hospitals. Entertainment can be had!!!

Comment

Thank you alhavel. I looked it up after she was mocked so badly and realized it was only 34 miles and she was right. The horrible thing to me is that most Americans are as ignorant as i was.
                  C5/C6

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    God forbid!! The last thing we need in the VA is an airhead like her.

(KLD)
                    But, she could dance and sing while putting on a good show for a few years. She might even one-up Tina Fey, or for that matter invite her on her “tours” of Vets hospitals. Entertainment can be had!!!

Comment

Big Diomede, which sits in Russian territory, and Little Diomede, which is part of the United States. At their closest, these two islands are a little less than two and a half miles apart, which means that, on a clear day, you can definitely see one from the other

Comment

I just read a site about Trump's little 10 year old being a spoiled rotten rich kid. Leave him alone!! Leave Obama's daughters alone!! I am so tired of all the spiteful jabs people take all the time. I have a cousin who continually makes nasty comments about Hillary and Michelle. I have a friend who mocks Trump and Palin, etc. I just wish we could all be mature adults. Rant over.
                        Last edited by 47+years; 1 Dec 2016, 12:49 AM.
                        C5/C6

Comment

In all fairness, according to Snopes, Today I Found Out, Christian Science Monitor, Quora and other sites, Sarah Palin never said, "I can see Russia from my house." That was Tina Fey in a Saturday Night Live sketch.

Here is the actual exchange with Charlie Gibson that prompted the comedy sketch.

"GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

GIBSON: What insight does that give you into what they're doing in Georgia?

PALIN: Well, I'm giving you that perspective of how small our world is and how important it is that we work with our allies to keep good relation with all of these countries, especially Russia. We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it's in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along."

All of that aside, what qualifications does she have to run the Veteran's Administration?

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                            I have no time, someone post her credentials vs the last 2 who held position.
                            Sarah Palin:

• BA, Communications/Journalism, University of Idaho, 1986
                            • Wasilla, Alaska city council, 1992.
                            • Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska in 1996.
                            • 9th Governor of Alaska 2006-2009
                            • Unsuccessful VP candidate in 2008 election.
                            • Speaker, TV show host, and one of the leaders of the Tea Party.

Bob MacDonald (VA Secretary since 2014):

• Graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in the top 2 percent of the Class of 1975.
                            • Served with the 82nd Airborne Division in the Army, and was an Army Ranger.
                            • MBA from the University of Utah.
                            • Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G), Employed by (P&G) 1980-2013.

Eric Shinseki (VA Secretary from 2009-2014):

• Graduated from Westpoint in 1965.
                            • Served two combat tours in Vietnam, awarded 3 Bronze Stars and lost most of his foot in a mine explosion.
                            • Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans, United States Army 1996
                            • Commander, NATO operations in Bosnia & Herzegovina, 1997.
                            • First USA Asian-American 4 star general.
                            • Chief of Staff of the Army, 1999-2003.
                            • Retired from the Army, 2003.

(KLD)
                            Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 30 Nov 2016, 11:56 PM.
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by 47+years View Post
                              I am so tired of all the spiteful jabs people take all the time. I have a cousin who continually makes nasty comments about Hillary and Michelle. I have a friend who mocks Trump and Palin, etc. I just wish we could all be mature adults. I just read a site about Trump's little 10 year old being a spoiled rotten rich kid. Leave him alone!! Leave Obama's daughters alone!! Rant over.
                              Agree 47, but by ANY measure she is unqualified to hold this position.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                              Sarah Palin:

Wasilla, Alaska city council, 1902.
                              Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska in 1996.
                              9th Governor of Alaska 2006-2009
                              Unsuccessful VP candidate in 2008 election.
                              Speaker, TV show host, and one of the leaders of the Tea Party.

Bob MacDonald (VA Secretary since 2014):

Graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in the top 2 percent of the Class of 1975.
                              Served with the 82nd Airborne Division in the Army, and was an Army Ranger.
                              MBA from the University of Utah.
                              Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G).

Eric Shinseki (VA Secretary from 2009-2014):

Graduated from Westpoint in 1965
                              Served two combat tours in Vietnam, awarded 3 Bronze Stars and lost most of his foot in a mine explosion.
                              Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans, United States Army 1996
                              Commander, NATO operations in Bosnia & Herzegovina.
                              First Asian-American 4 star general.
                              Chief of Staff of the Army, 1999-2003.
                              Retired from the Army, 2003.
                              (KLD)
                              Thanks KLD. I saw McDonald in several interviews and was very impressed. His outlook and plans to reform the VA were excellent. Palin would be over her head filling out the paperwork for the position.

Comment

Working...
                              X