Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Veterans Going to The 29th Veterans Wheelchair Games in Spokane Wash 7-12 to 7-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Veterans Going to The 29th Veterans Wheelchair Games in Spokane Wash 7-12 to 7-18

Any Veterans going to The 29th Veterans Wheelchair Games July 12 to July 18, 2009 in Spokane Washington? If you are I sure would like to meet as many of my fellow Veterans as possible. Please PM or e-mail me here on Care Cure if you plan on going to the games. I'm excited as this will be my first time going to the games. Any one that has never gone to the Veterans Wheelchair games before your airfare & hotel will be paid for as a novice participant. Take care !

Thanks,
    Bob
    Oldsmar, Florida

Would love to attend but we have therapists accompanying our team and cannot release more staff to go. We hosted the NVWG in 1997 and I was on the local committee (and in charge of all the first aiders) and it was a blast (but a LOT of hard work). We had 650 athletes that year!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

This guy! It'll be my 6th.

You are going to meet so many people... everyone is totally friendly and outgoing. Sign up for as many events as possible, especially the slalom!

Comment

I plan to go to my third games this year

I was able to go to my first in AK missed Milwaukee and made Omaha last year. The games are a great time I recommend signing up for five events and at least watching as many events as you are able to. You'll find the "old timers" are quick to advise, assist and show you the ropes.

Comment

I'll go as an observer if I can make it. I have family up there (it's my birthplace) and would love to come to see and cheer you on.

I'll bring my camera and photograph your events if you wish.

Amy
          Last edited by skippy13; 01-16-2009, 06:56 AM.
          Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Last year, Omaha, was my first year. We are working on our fundraisers to get as much of our team there as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Them Bones View Post
              This guy! It'll be my 6th.

You are going to meet so many people... everyone is totally friendly and outgoing. Sign up for as many events as possible, especially the slalom!
              I'm excited about going. Thanks for your encouraging words. If I do go I hope that we will be able to meet one another. May be we should PM or e-mail each other our cell phone numbers so we can get in touch with each other at the games. Let me know if that's what you want to do & I will PM you mine & then you can do like wise.
              Take care my fellow Veterans. I hope we get to meet in July in Spokane.
              Bob
              Last edited by RAFS; 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

My son will attend this event. It is a great opportunity for him to meet his fellow veteran.

Comment

Originally posted by Timo View Post
                  My son will attend this event. It is a great opportunity for him to meet his fellow veteran.
                  It'll be eye opening both for Tim and the family once you see how many paralyzed vets there are living in our society...and the amazing way they defy the odds and achieve independence no matter the level of injury. My first NVWG forever changed my outlook on life.

Comment

I just got my packet in the mail today! It doesn't say but does anyone here have an event list, one that shows events quads can compete in maybe?
                    Thanks,
                    conrad
                    When trains meet motorcycles, the motorcycle always loses.

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                      I just got my packet in the mail today! It doesn't say but does anyone here have an event list, one that shows events quads can compete in maybe?
                      Conrad,

Here's a link to last year's games that explains each event. You'll have to verify whether the events you choose will be held in Spokane. http://pva.convio.net/site/DocServer...pdf?docID=1401

FYI, I did the slalom (gold), airguns (bronze), and weightlifting (gold). Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                        Thanks,
                        conrad
                        Conrad; go to www.wheelchairgames.va.gov and from the menu on the left pick events and rules. It lists the events and rules (of course) and the various venues. I also found a list of the hotels that will be used somewhere on there. They seem to all be in the downtown area, but maybe you can use that to coordinate the best hotel in location to your particular events. None of the hotels are far from any event venue, and transportation is provided, so it is not really that much of an issue, but if you look up the hotels, you can choose personal preferences.

Amy

Comment

Originally posted by skippy13 View Post
                          Conrad; go to www.wheelchairgames.va.gov and from the menu on the left pick events and rules. It lists the events and rules (of course) and the various venues. I also found a list of the hotels that will be used somewhere on there. They seem to all be in the downtown area, but maybe you can use that to coordinate the best hotel in location to your particular events. None of the hotels are far from any event venue, and transportation is provided, so it is not really that much of an issue, but if you look up the hotels, you can choose personal preferences.

Amy
                          Unfortunately, that website doesn't explain which events a quad can participate in. I wish they'd do a better job of that in those packets or on the website. Just to add to Skippy's post, Conrad, if you go with a team instead of as an individual it'll be easier to get flight, hotel, and travel arrangements made...of course, assuming your VA's SCI Recreation Therapy department has a team. Some PVA chapters also offer to pay for part of the trip for novices so try sending a request-for-funds letter to your local chapter as well.

Gunner
                          Last edited by Veteran Advisor; 01-25-2009, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Skippy and Veterans Advisor. I will take a look at the links! I live in sw Washington so getting to the games is kinda a local affair. I'll talk to the local PVA this week as well, I'm pretty excited about the games.
                            When trains meet motorcycles, the motorcycle always loses.

Comment

The site I mentioned lists participation by classification. Classification is done on Sunday I believe. You have to know what your classification numbers are. At the bottom of each list of rules and description of events is a web address you can contact for further information.

Comment

Working...
                              X