Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waza, you know we closed Bermuda back in '95. Since then the disabled of Bermuda have been doing god all to get the old hospital turned into studio apartments for the disabled over there. Seems the need for accessible housing is as great as the Bermudian government's fear that gimps from the Caribbean may move north if they do anything more than is needed for cruise ship tourists.

And yea, I was a Czech linguist but had Bermuda on my wish list of 3.

Originally posted by wazabiker View Post
    1. USA
    2. U.S. Navy, journalist with specialties as publications editor, Armed Forces Radio and Television.
    3. 1954-1963. Missed Korea and Viet Nam.
    4. Service connected for leg and knee injuries, but not for SCI which came into my life seven years ago.
    5. Current volunteer at VA hospital and with Paralyzed Veterans of America. Receive all my health care via the VA and have no complaints.

While in Navy served shipboard sea duty; newspaper editor U.S. Naval Base Bermuda;Admiral's staff, newspaper editor, manager base television station, Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; Amphibious Force Atlantic newspaper editor, Little Creek, Va.

Fully enjoyed my time in the Navy. I met my wife of 48 years in Bermuda, both daughters born in Guantanamo.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Bermuda

Sue, I get back to Bermuda every few years as my wife has family there. Yeah, the government took over the U.S. Air Force base and use it as a civilian terminal. The Navy base has been pretty much demolished except for a few buildings. There is activity to sell the property for development.

Bermuda is nopt veryt accessible with a wheelchair. You must pick your destinations with care as most require doing stair steps. Being so old (1609) Bermuda does not have many new buildings, but some of those constructed in the past 10 years are accessible. We have a friend there who has quadraplegia, he and his wife run an accessible transportation service which we use.

MY SCI is a result of ischemia from the repair of a torn aorta.

Chuck
      You C.A.N.
      Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Viet-Nam / Agent Orange

USA
        Navy
        1957-1966
        After Discharge

I fought the VA for over 2 years on my Agent Orange claim. Luckily I located an old shipmate who had photos of us ashore in DaNang. Now I receive 40% service connected disability for my type 2 diabetes, etc.

Comment

Welcome Arkie. Good thing you found those photos.

You may also wish to check out a web site that has a great forum dedicated to AO and Blue water navy/coast guard. It is called Veteran Benefit Network. You can get to it at Vets@Yuku.com. A lot of good infor there specific to your type of sc disability. It is run by former raters and a few former C&P examiners and some old been there done that Vets.

Again, welcome to care cure.
          Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

USA
            Army / Parachute Infantry. Alpha Co. 2ND BATL. (AIRBORNE) 505 INFANTRY.
            82nd Airborne Division. Fort Knox, Fort Polk, Fort Benning - Airborne/Ranger School, Ft.Bragg.
            73 to 75 Missed Viet.
            Non service connected. Catastrophically injured vet. Cat.4

Hated barracks time. Nothing to do for weeks at a time except pull guard duty or lousy details.
            Civilians treated us like shit. Only wore class A uniform off base one time.

Old school khaki uniforms looked great with maroon berets and paratrooper awards. Troops not allowed off base with BDU's then. Big fine.

Army definitely needs new dress uniforms. Get rid of those ill fitting green suits.
            C 5/6 Comp.
            No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

1) In which country's military did you serve?
              2) Which branch/units?
              3) When?
              4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards?
              5) Anything else you want to share about being a veteran with SCI/D.

(KLD)
              1) US Army
              2) Heidelberg MEDDAC (91A Biomedical Equipment Repairer)
              3) 94-98
              4) After
              5) VA has been fricken awesome for me! I have not had any problems through them so far.
              When trains meet motorcycles, the motorcycle always loses.

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                1) US Army
                2) Heidelberg MEDDAC (91A Biomedical Equipment Repairer)
                3) 94-98
                4) After
                5) VA has been fricken awesome for me! I have not had any problems through them so far.
                Good to see you here, Conrad. Thanks, and thanks to everyone else who's introduced themselves.
                get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Mark

1) In which country's military did you serve? US
                  2) Which branch/units? Navy
                  3) When? 1973-1980
                  4) Did you receive your SCI/D while in the military or afterwards? After
                  NO-LMTS
                  One Big Ass Mistake America!

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    Please share a little bit about yourself as a veteran:

2) Which branch/units?
                    3) When?

1-USA

2-USN
                    AS-34, SSBN's 629, 640, 734, and 742

3-1979 to 2009
                    4-Came down with Neurosarcoidosis in my 29th year. Retired on 16Jan2009.

5-going through the VA process now.
                    Last edited by Subman®; 25 Jan 2009, 10:39 PM.
                    sigpic

http://submans.shutterfly.com/

Comment

US Army
                      Field Artillery Radar
                      Deployments to Iraq & Afghanistan
                      10th Mountain Division
                      Non-service connected
                      Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

Comment

2) Which branch/units?
                        3) When?

1. USA
                        2. Army / 82nd ABN, 101st ABN, 160th SOAR(A), US Dept of State, USAJFKSWC
                        3. 1982 - 2005
                        4. Post-Retirement Non Service Connected
                        5. Injured while racing motocross, lifeflight to Huntsville Hospital, transferred to Shepherd Center in Atlanta then to Augusta VA. After 4 1/2 months of recovery & rehab, I returned to the same job I had with the government that I had prior to my injury. I'm in good spirits and have come to terms with my condition. I have an awesome support network. The VA although frustrating takes good care of my needs. I have moderate to severe spacticity, back pain and difficulty sleeping. I maintain a website to keep my friends informed of my condition at http://www.phillipsherwood.com

Comment

Originally posted by sherwoodp View Post
                          2) Which branch/units?
                          3) When?

1. USA
                          2. Army / 82nd ABN, 101st ABN, 160th SOAR(A), US Dept of State, USAJFKSWC
                          3. 1982 - 2005
                          4. Post-Retirement Non Service Connected
                          5. Injured while racing motocross, lifeflight to Huntsville Hospital, transferred to Shepherd Center in Atlanta then to Augusta VA. After 4 1/2 months of recovery & rehab, I returned to the same job I had with the government that I had prior to my injury. I'm in good spirits and have come to terms with my condition. I have an awesome support network. The VA although frustrating takes good care of my needs. I have moderate to severe spacticity, back pain and difficulty sleeping. I maintain a website to keep my friends informed of my condition at http://www.phillipsherwood.com
                          Hello Phillip,
                          Fellow Veteran welcome to the group. Sorry you had to find us but glad that you did. Went on your website & looked at your hospital pictures. I'm so sorry to read that you got hurt the way that you did. Make sure you post often & come here often & you will learn a lot from others the more you frequent this site. Any time you have a question make sure you post it here. Some one will answer you. If some one doesn't know the answer to your question may be some one else will & if not when they have the answer they will answer you. Dr. Wise Young, founder of this site is very, very knowledgeable as well as the SCI Nurses. Some of them work at other VA Hospitals & Medical Centers.
                          Thanks for having served our great country for over 20yrs. & for your sacrifice.

Take Care,
                          Bob
                          Air Force 8/71 to 5/75
                          VA employee 5/76 to 8/97
                          I get my care at the James A. Haley VA SCI Center, Tampa Florida

Comment

Originally posted by sherwoodp View Post
                            I maintain a website to keep my friends informed of my condition at http://www.phillipsherwood.com
                            Good to have you aboard, Chief. I read some of your blog, and bio. Very impressive repertoire, I especially liked this [abbreviated] summary:
                            During my 23 years of military service, I've deployed to four different theaters of combat on multiple occasions, spent 19 of those years in combat arms rapid deployment units, and continually sought and mastered those challenges most soldiers chose to avoid.
                            Thank you very much for your most dedicated and active service. I was admittedly one of those soldiers who chose to avoid most of those challenges you have mastered.

Keep up the hard work, and all the best in your recovery.
                            get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

New guy here

2) Which branch/units?
                              3) When?

1) The United States of America
                              2) USAF/483rd Tactical Airlift Wing Republic of Viet Nam 1967-68
                              3) 1965-68
                              4) Afterwards. injured in 1976, riding a motorcycle
                              5) I do not have to use the VA system. I have private insurance from work.

Hello all, I found this site while searching for hand controls for my golf cart. Everyone seems very friendly, courteous and helpful.

Comment

2) Which branch/units?
                                3) When?

1.)USA
                                2.)USMC-Security Forces Naples, Italy
                                3.)1993-1994
                                4.)Hurt while on active duty-MVA(100% Service Connected)
                                5.)Rehab at Augusta VAMC

Found this site a few months ago and have already found it very helpful and informative.

Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                                X