Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA benefits....In service or not you qualify...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
    An update: Dave has an appointment at the local VA next week!

One of the nurses that had been covering for the social worker has been really helpful and now the social worker is back from leave. They have all told me the SCI doc here is great and then Dave would probably be referred to the SCI clinic in Mpls where they do an entire evaluation.
    Of course this brings more questions because we like our family doc so much and do not want to change or have this affect the nursing home waiver program we are on which pays aides and myself.
    It looks like we have more income, but we pay $1,700 back to the state each month as a spenddown. I've got to quit worrying about everything!
    They said as a quad he qualifies.
    What I am most looking forward to is getting him positioned in his chair properly by a professional. There are not many people in our area (I have heard of one young girl)
    with a injury level as high as his.
    The recent dx of diabetes and learning everything to do with that has my head spinning.
    Thanks everyone!!! I would never have known about this program without a few people here who were so helpful.

You don't have to change a thing as far as your family doc goes. In addition to the care the VA provides me, I have my medicare advantage program. The eligibility for VA care does not affect any care he now gets that you are happy with. VA services are not considered income.

Be sure to ask about Travel Pay if you have to go to MPLS VA. As far as I know, if the VA orders you to appear or gives you an appointment to go to a specific VA for an exam or treatment, they will give you travel pay. At 41.5 cents a mile (minus a 3.00 each way deduction), it can add up for a four hundred mile round trip. I know that they give travel pay to individuals who are not service connected if they are appearing for a compensation and pension exam, so I don't know why they wouldn't for you. It don't hurt to ask. There are rules also for special transportation requirements. It can be complicated, so don't give up.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

cat 4 will give you travel pay now, i know, i couldn't get it as a catagory 5........

Comment

Originally posted by airart1 View Post
        cat 4 will give you travel pay now, i know, i couldn't get it as a catagory 5........
        Why are you Category 5? Don't you have a SCI...bowel & bladder involvement, paralysis?

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

KLD, In the above article on fee-basis payments, it states "payments are made directly to the provider", "a family member can receive reimbursement" and "you should monitor your pension awards awards closely to insure it is not counted as income for your spouse."

My question is, is there a specific form that needs to be filled out stating that this is not counted as income. We (wife & I) were told by the VA SCI case manager that this is taxable income and needs to be declared.

Comment

Oldtimer, I am certainly not the expert on this. I would defer your question to your PVA NSO. They ARE the experts and can help you with any of the required paperwork.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you KLD, I will do just that!

Comment

You can also ask the question on IRIS. Call the MN VARO for information too.
                Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

that's just what they categorized me at first with....they just changed it the first of 2011, i don't remember why they said they changed it, new guidelines or what, i got the letter filed, but year before last they had me cat 5 and then sent me a letter the first of 2011 and said i was cat 4.....which is great, no co-pays and such..........

Comment

My husband had his first appointment at the VA on Friday and they could not have been any nicer to us. The team and doctor were casual and knew their stuff.
                    It was great he got ALL of his skin looked over and people that actually knew about SCI.
                    We now have a resource if he has skin issues.
                    He is being referred to the hub in Minneapolis where he will be pressure mapped and the OT had some suggestions on improvements on his chair.
                    They nearly embarrassed me with praise.
                    Thanks everyone!

Comment

I am so glad that you both sought the services to which he is entitled through the VA as a Veteran who has served our country. I continue to find Veterans out there who don't know what the VA has to offer for those with SCI, and still have old ideas about what the VA is about. Your husband is lucky that you pursued this.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                        My husband had his first appointment at the VA on Friday and they could not have been any nicer to us. The team and doctor were casual and knew their stuff.
                        It was great he got ALL of his skin looked over and people that actually knew about SCI.
                        We now have a resource if he has skin issues.
                        He is being referred to the hub in Minneapolis where he will be pressure mapped and the OT had some suggestions on improvements on his chair.
                        They nearly embarrassed me with praise.
                        Thanks everyone!
                        Fantastic!

Don't forget we have telemedicine to link us all together and I serve on the National SCI Telehealth Steering Comittee with their SCI Coordinator. If the therapist would like any assistance with your husband's chair, they know where to find me.

Comment

Working...
                        X