No announcement yet.

Pregnant and neurological disorder diagn.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pregnant and neurological disorder diagn.


    I’m a woman aged 36, five months pregnant.
    For about a month, I have been experiencing pains in the legs, aching all over (stiff sensation like a girdle), sometimes all along the leg until down the calf. The pain is quite acute, makes it difficult to walk and is switching from one leg to the other, including some kind of knot in the buttocks that causes electrical sensations and makes me limp. No incontinence problem.
    I’ve already had this kind of pain at several occasions in the last 8 years, but I relieved it thanks to Voltaren. Now I am pregnant, I do not take any medication and the pain is dragging on in time.
    I have consulted a neurologist that noticed tetra-hyperreflexia. He thinks I have a spinal cord related problem as a myelitis (swelling), or a (non-cancerous) tumour, or …?
    Problem: due to my pregnancy, the MRI is excluded. Without this imagery, the neurologist cannot establish a precise diagnostic.
    According to the fact that I have experienced these symptoms for 8 years without deterioration, the neurologist makes the hypothesis that my status won’t worsen during the next few months. Therefore he wants to wait until the childbirth (end of May) to make an MRI or a lumbar puncture.
    I also mention that I’ve had Migraines, for 6 years, at a frequency of one a month, 3 – 14 days duration. Eletriptan (Relpax) is quite effective on it.

    - What do you think of the abovementioned guess? Isn’t it dangerous for me to wait until end of May (I fear irreversible neurological deficit) ? Any danger for the baby? Even if this is due to a virus?
    - Is it exact that no useful test can be carried out, while I am pregnant, to identify (evaluate and monitor) the disorder I am suffering from? Isn’t there no “plan B” for pregnant women (spinal tap, EEG, Doppler imagery, blood analysis…) ?

    Thanks for your help


  • #2
    Other problems that should be considered, and which have blood tests include rheumatic diseases, & Lyme disease. MS is best diagnosed with an MRI. The safety of MRI during pregnancy has not been established, but appears to have the most concern during the first half of the pregnancy, so it may be possible to do one during your last trimester. CT can be done, but appears to have even more risk than MRI for the fetus. Your OB, radiologist, and neurologist should consult together on the advisability of this. A spinal tap is of limited value in diagnosing a spinal tumor or abscess, but might help make an MS diagnosis, but is not a procedure without risks itself.

    I will ask Dr. Young to comment on this as well.

    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.


    • #3
      There are several blood tests that can help narrow down certain neurolical problems. I'm not up on most of this but a lot of the tests start with Ig---. Dr Young should be able to tell you. And yea, the Washington Post Health Section just did a piece on CTs and how much more radiation is used in them than with xrays.

      Just one question. Voltaren is normally used for things like anklosing sponylitis, bone pain and joints like arthritis. Has your neurologist suggested why this relieves your symptoms?
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

      Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.