Immther ( used in spinal tumor) production discontinued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immther ( used in spinal tumor) production discontinued

CNN story on Allie with Ewing's sarcoma, with tumor on her spine which paralyzed her legs:

Successful treatment with Immther will no longer be available because: marketing people determined the pharmaceutical company would not be able to recoup R&D.

Dr. Kleinerman ( of MD Anderson?) ran the clinical trial.

What's It?

Faye: Not familiar with the news story on the use of Immther. What is Immther and who produces it? I think a drug company, once it has committed the necessary time, effort and money into a drug would bring it to market and sell it at a cost to at least recoup some of their costs. Most of us take drugs that costs more than a $100 a month or use cathing devices that cost even more. Why would the retail cost of a drug prevent a company from making it available?

Paul Bearer
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck
      Faye: Not familiar with the news story on the use of Immther. What is Immther and who produces it? I think a drug company, once it has committed the necessary time, effort and money into a drug would bring it to market and sell it at a cost to at least recoup some of their costs. Most of us take drugs that costs more than a $100 a month or use cathing devices that cost even more. Why would the retail cost of a drug prevent a company from making it available?

Paul Bearer
      Apparently they would have had to go through a number of more steps in order to secure FDA approval.
      I guess that would have been too costly given the (smaller) market size for this drug??

More on Immther here http://www.sarcomahelp.org/Sarcomas/Ewing's%20Sarcoma/refractory_recurrent/unknown_effect/immther.htm

ImmTher is an investigational agent which stimulates the body's white blood cells to attack and kill tumor cells.
      Last edited by Faye; 01-12-2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X