Spinal infarctions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinal infarctions.

There seems to be little data on this subject.Does anyone have any information on recovery or improvement or lack of them after one of these injuries.Thanks.

What was your cause of infarction? This can be a significant factor. Is your injury complete (AIS A) or incomplete?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Incomplete Asia C .Doctors don't seem to know what caused it.I am recovering and improving but it is painfully slow!

Comment

Some possible causes of spinal cord infarction:

AV malformation
        Spinal stroke
        Due to surgery on the spine or cord
        Due to surgery on the aorta or disruption of aorta blood flow to the cord
        Due to trauma to the artery(s) that supply blood to the cord
        Vascular conditions such as arteriritis

No way to say how much return you will get or for how long. Only time will tell.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I had a spinal stroke due to blood flow that was cut off from aortic aneurysm surgery. 4 years later after been told i was initially told i was asia a i am now a asia c sensory complete motor incomplete para. I have also made very little progress the last year or so but i think it is mainly from laziness as i have not done too much rehab lately.
          T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1712 View Post
            Incomplete Asia C .Doctors don't seem to know what caused it.I am recovering and improving but it is painfully slow!
            Just since January is slow? OK, you live in the UK, right? Any MRI? What level was the infarct? I had one around C5-6/7 back in 1992. The first two years were painfully slow and then things kept kicking in. I never made it to walking but managed standing transfers and a lot more than rehab first thought. What can you do now based on your level?
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Some possible causes of spinal cord infarction:

AV malformation
              Spinal stroke
              Due to surgery on the spine or cord
              Due to surgery on the aorta or disruption of aorta blood flow to the cord
              Due to trauma to the artery(s) that supply blood to the cord
              Vascular conditions such as arteriritis

No way to say how much return you will get or for how long. Only time will tell.

(KLD)
              Epidurals are also on the rare list of causes. I've met two lower lumbar women from epidurals during labor. Cocaine and heroin can also cause a spinal stroke by rupturing an artery from high blood pressure and heroin can cause ischemia to the cord. I'm not implying our OP is a druggy anymore than the doctors who had to ask me those questions did.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Level is C6/7.I can transfer,move my legs pretty well,hands are ok,arms ok.Have stood in parallel bars and standing frame.Currently waiting for a standing frame to be delivered to my home.Go to the gym twice a week and the trainer there says I am improving all the time.Weak glutes and stiff core are my main issues.Get them sorted and I think I'd be 25% better!

Comment

There is a condition called "banding" in the TM community. It is said to feel like a cold and stiff 3" to a foot wide some where between the hips and lower chest that normally surrounds the body. I started feeling it maybe 5 or 6 months post and it lasted a few years. After or maybe while it was fading I started getting some abdominals back. Unfortunately those abdominals required constant exercise to maintain and one bad illness wiped them out. Keep working as it sounds like you are are still getting natural recovery. Moist heat can help any core stiffness before PT on the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                    There is a condition called "banding" in the TM community. It is said to feel like a cold and stiff 3" to a foot wide some where between the hips and lower chest that normally surrounds the body. I started feeling it maybe 5 or 6 months post and it lasted a few years. After or maybe while it was fading I started getting some abdominals back. Unfortunately those abdominals required constant exercise to maintain and one bad illness wiped them out. Keep working as it sounds like you are are still getting natural recovery. Moist heat can help any core stiffness before PT on the area.
                    Thanks Sue,I'll definitely keep working at it!I've been recommended for more physiotherapy too which is great as they don't tend to do that in the UK unless they think there is at least some potential.I've also been told,not sure if it's true or not,that improvement can continue after the two year benchmark.Good luck to everyone and keep on fighting!

Comment

I started getting the return below my injury after the 2 year mark. Currently though most doctors and therapists tend toward cutting therapy short the later any return begins. Those who get natural recovery tend to so early on and you are gaining back a lot early on. Keep at it. You may be able to help someone newer in the gym coming up when the therapists are too busy to load weights or adjust tightness on an Uppertone or other gym equipment where they only need things added then you go do your stuff and the newer person gets a few extra minutes that they may desperately need. Good luck!

Comment

I didn't realize there was a special thread for is. Haven't been here in a couple of years. I am an incomplete To from surgery 4 years ago to remove scar tissue from a surgery in '83. I haven't had any return. My spasms decreased then turned into this kicking thing that looks like I'm having a seizure. Baclofen has helped that but I am still spastic and my left leg spasms out when I lean back while my right leg draws under when I lean forward. This makes mornings a lot of fun until my body acclimates. Add a decub on the bottom of my foot from fighting the spasms last winter and being too tight to put shoes on. This has been the worst 4 years of my life.

I love hearing the stories of people who get return. It happened to me in '83 and I was able to have 25 productive years. Now every day is just an exercise in survival.

Comment

Have you had any therapy since your surgery? And what level are you? Looks like auto-correct zapped your level in your post.
                          Originally posted by 2timer View Post
                          I didn't realize there was a special thread for is. Haven't been here in a couple of years. I am an incomplete To from surgery 4 years ago to remove scar tissue from a surgery in '83. I haven't had any return. My spasms decreased then turned into this kicking thing that looks like I'm having a seizure. Baclofen has helped that but I am still spastic and my left leg spasms out when I lean back while my right leg draws under when I lean forward. This makes mornings a lot of fun until my body acclimates. Add a decub on the bottom of my foot from fighting the spasms last winter and being too tight to put shoes on. This has been the worst 4 years of my life.

I love hearing the stories of people who get return. It happened to me in '83 and I was able to have 25 productive years. Now every day is just an exercise in survival.

Comment

Paul,
                            just wondering how your recovery is progressing? My husband is t10/11 incomplete from spinal infarction, unknown cause. He was 43 when it happened and he had absolutely no warning signs at all, an executive job, fit, active, dad of 4, prior professional golfer. Hope is all that gets us through some days. He is in constant banding pain that is relentless. Do you have any banding? How far have you come in your return?

Comment

Hi,yes I do have the stiffness/banding! am doing ok though apart from thatHave taken some steps with a frame and my legs are still improving I think.My glutes are not very strong but my quads are quite strong.I keep thinking it's too late for significant improvement as my injury was over 2 years ago but I am told this is not the case.How is your husband doing?Has he had much improvement?Can he move his legs?I hope he's doing ok and you too.Keep fighting because you never know what will "come back"!

Comment

Working...
                              X