Gabapentin and walking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabapentin and walking.

Anyone have any experience with this? Gabapentin seems to releive the spasticity in my legs, but, they feel much weaker. I could walk (slowly with a walker) before, but it seems harder now. I've only had 7 doses of 300mg...

I don't have personal experience with Gabapentin, but from what I understand, that is the tradeoff with all drugs used to reduce spasticity - the muscles aren't as tense and tight, but as a result they lose the strength that resistance gives them. Hopefully, others with knowledge of meds and dosages will chime in.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Well, after 5 days ( 7 doses) and 3 visits from the paramedics, I switched back to Zanaflex. After about 30-40 steps, either all the strenght in my legs went away, or whatever little bit of control I had over them disappeared.

Fell once...kind of a slow collaspse onto the carpet, so no damage. Other two times, my wife got a chair behind me before I collasped.

I took Zanaflex on my regular schedule beginning yesterday afternoon, and now my legs are useable.

And, of course, the doctor is out of town until monday...

Comment

I have never tried Gabapentin, but when I was walking and tried Baclofen, I couldn't walk at all.
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I'm so glad you weren't hurt when you fell, and that you had the other med on hand - The Force is with you, even though the doctor is out of town!
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Well, fortunately, bumbles bounce...

Comment

Gabapentin and Baclofen have both been mentioned to me by my GP as possible medication to help with muscle stiffness along with Diazepam (which I thought wa an anti-anxiety med?)

My walking is not great at the moment and I would be hesitant to use anything which may make it worse.

However the the stiffness, associated pain and mobility issues are becoming more and more difficult for me to deal with.

Have those of you with MS found the trade off of taking muscle relaxants worth it?

(sorry for the thread highjack)

Comment

I have tried both Baclofen (up to 80mg/day) and Gabapentin. Baclofen had no effect whatsoever, and Gabapentin...well, read the above. I've also tried Ampyra with no effect.

I currently take Zanaflex (4mg, 4 times a day). It hasn't returned my walking to 100% normal, but the spasticity keeps my legs from collasping and, with the help of a walker, I can shuffle along.

Comment

Here's the Shit'
                  I take Baclofen 10 mg x 3 times a day, Gabapentin, 600 mg x 3 times a day, and Ampyra 10 mg x 2 times a day. Nothing is great, everything somehow works despite the contradictions in the meds, I don't know it works for me, and why. I fell a sleep and had a dream I was retired and it didn't happen too. I'm busier now than pre SCI where have I gone wrong?????????

Comment

leg weakness

Sometimes spasticity or increased muscle tone can actually be beneficial as it does support individuals with walking. Too much loosening of that muscle tone can make your muscles noodly or weak. Gabapentin can help with spasticity along with nerve pain. Baclofen helps mostly with spasticity.

pbr
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Gabapentin is used for treating neuropathic pain and seizure disorder, not for spasticity.

Comment

Originally posted by PMR DOC View Post
                        Gabapentin is used for treating neuropathic pain and seizure disorder, not for spasticity.
                        Understood, although as was noted above, it does sometimes help with spasticity.

The thing is, my "attacks" are not classic MS-like. About every 6-8 weeks, I get extremely cold, go rigid, and get chills to the extent that I'm shaking. Lasts about 20-40 minutes. Then, I'm weak for a couple hours, and them I'm back on my feet again. My new internist thought perhaps they are epiplepsy (sp?) related, and suggested Gabapentin as an experiment. No joy.

I see him again next week, so we'll see what else he's got.....

Comment

Working...
                        X