No announcement yet.

New bed - with MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, wrote a long sad letter to my Insurance Case Worker yesterday (including a letter from my PCP) describing why putting 36 inch wide shoulders in a 38 inch wide bed kind of restricts my movement when I have to turn over...also pointing out that MS doesn't cause muscle wasting, and my 280 pound body is still very powerful even if my nerves can't control it. I broke the arms off a 350 pound rated rollator and I've bent the foot peddles on my 300 pound rated wheelchair.

I need something I'm not going to break...and that I have room to move around in...and that will stand up to the strenght in my upper body.

Probably a waste of time.

Comment

Was a waste of time. Insurance would only pay $1890 toward a $7000 bed from TransferMaster. Found a bed from SpinLife that would work for only $2460, but because it doesn't say "hospital bed" on it, insurance won't pay anything.

Crap.

Comment

Gotta love this vicious cycle. Have you checked into the sleep number bed? I think our insurance would pay some but only a single, I ended up on a payment plan for the queen size. Just a thought.

Comment

I talked with the med equip supplier and asked if he had something BC/BS would pay for...he recommeded www.flexabed.com . He's going to call and verify today.

The saga continues....

Comment

You might also consider renting the Transfer Master for the 10-month period your insurance will cover - you might not even like the bed, and at least that way you'd know for sure.
            MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Not quite sure how all that works. BC/BS says they pay the equivallent of 10 months rent...but the supllier says "no returns".

Comment

Wow, that's not good...no returns sounds pretty definite, regardless of what the insurance company will pay. I guess as a "why not?" measure, you could call Transfer Master and explain your situation, asking if they ever provide direct assistance to customers (either in the form of adjusted payments or support letters to insurance companies).

Another thing you might look into is whether or not the MS Society (either the national organization or a local branch) offers grants for needs of this kind. Where I live, the local group does annual fundraisers and maintains a $6000 pool for people who need beds, ramps, equipment and so on.

If there's no way in the world to get a Transfer Master, then I hope the Flexabed will be a viable alternative. I note on the Flexabed website that they do make a high-low model, and that is clearly what you need, with your history of falling when getting in/out of bed.

Comment

Glad you are OK Mona. I'm doing the same thing (losing weight) and I'm very aware of my bony ass.

Somebody who is really missing in action is MonkeyGirl. She is the ultimate Canucks fan (ice hockey) but was nowhere to be seen during their recent Cup run and celebration riot.

Comment

We have that exact bed, a queen Transfer Master. Its a great bed, so sorry to hear you can't get it. We paid 100% out of pocket for it ourselves.
                    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

I talked with the supplier yesterday, and he says he's cleared a Hi-Lo FlexiBed with the insurance company. There's a ton of paperwork to go thru, but it sounds like a definite maybe. I'll know more next week.

Comment

Hope it works out!

Comment

Update: Got a Queen FlexiBed. Insurance paid all but $180. So far, so good. Still need to work out a few kinks for getting in and out...but, no visits from the paramedics yet.

Comment

Hey, that's great! Hope you will love your new bed and that those paramedic calls will be a thing of the past. It's excellent that insurance paid as much as it did.

Comment

So glad to hear!

Comment

Working...
                              X