Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Dog

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by spasticXfantastic View Post
    i dont have MS, i have HSP, but i am on the waiting list for a service dog from NEADS in massachusetts.
    I am looking into this organization as one of my top 3 but they have not written me back with questions I had. Can you PM me with your experience with them so far? Anythying at all you want to tell me, i'm interested in.

    thank you!
    Liza R. McCollum

    Comment


    • #47
      Unfortunately hawaiis requirements are a little different than anywhere else in the US. They still allow owner trained dogs though.

      A lot of times programs perpetuate 'their' version of the law because they want people to believe that program dogs are the only way so that they can make money. Believe it or not that is what they are in the business of doing. Whether you pay them for the dog or whether fundraising is taking place.

      I might sound like I am against program trained dogs but really I am against the false propaganda that they spread.

      Oli

      Comment


      • #48
        I am currently in the application process for a service dog from CCI. If I am not approved for their waiting list or if it is going to be 2 or 3 years before I can get a service dog, my plans are to get a labrador pup and train him myself. I plan on taking him everywhere I go after he is ready.

        I have been doing much research on this and by law, NO ONE can ask you anything about certification. A self trained service dog can just as well go anywhere that a service dog trained by an agency.

        I have a quad friend that has a Doberman that he self trained as a service dog. She goes everywhere with him including hospitals, airline flights, places to eat etc and so forth.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Oli View Post
          Unfortunately hawaiis requirements are a little different than anywhere else in the US. They still allow owner trained dogs though.

          A lot of times programs perpetuate 'their' version of the law because they want people to believe that program dogs are the only way so that they can make money. Believe it or not that is what they are in the business of doing. Whether you pay them for the dog or whether fundraising is taking place.

          I might sound like I am against program trained dogs but really I am against the false propaganda that they spread.

          Oli
          Very well said.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by ryano View Post
            I am currently in the application process for a service dog from CCI. If I am not approved for their waiting list or if it is going to be 2 or 3 years before I can get a service dog, my plans are to get a labrador pup and train him myself. I plan on taking him everywhere I go after he is ready.

            I have been doing much research on this and by law, NO ONE can ask you anything about certification. A self trained service dog can just as well go anywhere that a service dog trained by an agency.

            I have a quad friend that has a Doberman that he self trained as a service dog. She goes everywhere with him including hospitals, airline flights, places to eat etc and so forth.
            Don't you need some sort of certification for your dog to get the spiffy vest? That would be cool if I could train my own, I have had dogs all my life and am quite good at training them.

            Comment


            • #51
              The best way to train a Service Dog is to hire a trainer to train YOU how to train your dog. Clicker training is the easiest for sure. You can train a dog to do anything with a clicker. It is amazing and so easy once you learn how! There is also a special clicker that can be used by people with limited hand strength called the iClick clicker, sold on the Karen Pryor website.

              You do not need a vest by law but I find that it is almost more polite. What I mean by that is that the general public is very uneducated about Service Dogs and often wonder what a dog is doing in a restaurant or wherever, if the dog is wearing a vest they usually are more understanding and hassle the business less.

              So by wearing the vest you are hassled less buy businesses and the general public have a better understanding of why a dog is there.

              Remember the ADA is all about making equal access for all. If a person could not afford a vest or didn't have the hand strength to put one on that person would be excluded from public access if the law required a vest. That is why they don't require one.

              Personally I use a vest because it is the signal to my dog that he is working. With the vest on his is on his best behavior and ignores people and focuses on me (required for a seizure alert dog) and with the vest off he is just a regular dog. He knows the difference.

              Oli

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Oli View Post

                Personally I use a vest because it is the signal to my dog that he is working. With the vest on his is on his best behavior and ignores people and focuses on me (required for a seizure alert dog) and with the vest off he is just a regular dog. He knows the difference.

                Oli
                Yes, they know.

                When my dog was a service dog, (meaning when he did specific things for me, now he is a pet, I have been lax on almost daily training) when he had the vest on, he knew that he was working and was on his best behavior. Exactly, they know!

                "I might sound like I am against program trained dogs but really I am against the false propaganda that they spread."

                This is so true! I was led to believe that the law required certification for a service dog and that the dog had to be trained by a certified trainer.

                My dog was trained by a trainer (not a program) and as Oli said, "The trainer trains you to train the dog!

                My next dog will be from the local service dog program because they are near by, the cost is minimal ($525) and they offer free on going refresher training for as long as he/she is your service dog. The waiting period is less than one year max.
                Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
                ~~~~~~~~~~

                Comment


                • #53
                  ADI Assistance dogs international is the only "regulatory" organization that I would go with. Delta society can help you find a way to train your OWN dog but since most service dogs wash out I believe it's better to let a professional choose the dog. I'd look at any service dog organization that is a member of ADI. you can go on ADI's website. Also you don't have to go through channels that specifically deal with people with MS. These companies train for a slew of disabilities. Good luck and happy researching!
                  Liza R. McCollum

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Actually most Service Dogs do not wash out. That is misinformation.

                    If you were to find a reputable breeder with a serious focus on health and temperament and were to give a litter of pups the Volhard test to determine which one had the right temperament, then bring that pup home and train it yourself... the washout rate is VERY small.

                    It is the organizations that breed like crazy and train them all and organizations that use rescues from the pound that have high washout rates.

                    Owner trainer washout rates are extremely low. In fact it is so rare that I can't even think of anyone I know that has had one wash out in the last several years.

                    I have known several program dogs that washed out and many many more rescues that didn't make it for both behavioral and health problems.

                    Oli

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Here is the new DOJ brief of the 2010 revised edition of the ADA about Service Dogs...

                      http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

                      Oli

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I forgot to tell my dog she isn't "certified". She pulls me anyway.
                        TM 2004 T12 incomplete

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          That's great just make sure your doggie is not pulling more weight then is good for her health and bones and joints.


                          I forget what the ragtio is but you can find it easily on line.

                          P,S, your dog is beautiful.
                          Liza R. McCollum

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I've been reading the book Until Tuesday about an injured soldier and his service dog. His dog is from ECAD-Educated Canines Assisting With Disabilities. The parts on the dog training are amazing as this group starts when the dog is 3 days old. If you plan on self-training I highly recommend the book.
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                            Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X