No announcement yet.

Service Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I need to skip the housetraining w/o helpers during the day, like you said, if I am not actually in the chair, I am not fast enough to anticipate a puddle.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
      Of course, trying to get something down from a high shelf today, I wonder about service giraffes?
      or you could try this cat the climbing is there, although I think major work on co-operation skills would be needed

Comment

That might work w/ one of mine. She is fascinated with the kitchen. The same one that stands on her hind feet trying to get the ceiling fan. I'll have to consider that!
        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

This is all really very interesting however, we have steered a bit away from the original post. Hopefully this info helps him as well.

sjean- our dog cleans up food spills too (thats her specialty)

Comment

On a more serious note, I have read of cats being trained to recognize seizures as well as dogs, and a woman whose cat would actually bring her inhaler when she had an asthma attack. And they have been known to frequently be used for people with psychiatric diagnoses.
            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
              This is all really very interesting however, we have steered a bit away from the original post. Hopefully this info helps him as well.
              Lighten up. There was no harm done with a few off tangent posts as the thread already had plenty of on topic information in reply to the OP's query.

Last edited by orangejello; 03-06-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Orangejello - Sorry, I really didnt mean my statement to come across as I was complaining. I have posted several times in this post and have learned some valuable information regarding service dogs. I was just saying the OP question was how many people with MS have service dogs, just hoping that if he is looking into getting one that this info helps him as well.

Comment

Thank you MS Wife.
                  I guess I should have been more specific. Good feed back anyway.
                  I am considering trying to get a service dog to help me when my wife is at work or if I want to go fishing, gardening, etc; by my self.

Which would be the best route to take in getting a service dog?
                  Should I start with the MS Society first?

Comment

2 organizations might offer you the assistance you are seeking. The first is the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, which has a handout on training service dogs for people with M. The other group that might be of interest to you is Canine Partners for Life (K94life.org). Best of luck. Huckleberry

Comment

Here is an excellent resource for anyone considering a service dog:

http://www.deltasociety.org/

There are a number of different programs (many listed above) that you can apply to for help in getting a dog, or training a dog you already own, and they vary significantly related to waiting lists and programs.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Here is another I found: http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEm....BED8/Home.htm

Comment

Canine Partners for LIfe (info@k94life.org) has info, and the MUltiple Sclerosis Foundation has a fact sheet on training service dogs for people with MS.

Comment

Thanks Everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by huckleberry View Post
                              Canine Partners for LIfe (info@k94life.org) has info, and the MUltiple Sclerosis Foundation has a fact sheet on training service dogs for people with MS.
                              Canine Partners for Life is an EXCELLENT organization. My mother has gotten 2 service dogs from them. I may be biased, but I really feel they are top notch...the best you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello View Post
                                or you could try this cat the climbing is there, although I think major work on co-operation skills would be needed

The wall duster or the too curious kitty... hmmmmm, what's that string doing there??

Bob.
                                "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Working...
                                X