Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stunning...what do you think?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Stunning...what do you think?

    Drug can reverse Alzheimer´s symptoms in minutes

    A drug used for arthritis can reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer's "in minutes". It appears to tackle one of the main features of the disease - inflammation in the brain.
    The drug, called Enbrel, is injected into the spine where it blocks a chemical responsible for damaging the brain and other organs.
    A pilot study carried out by U.S. researchers found one patient had his symptoms reversed "in minutes".
    Other patients have shown some improvements in symptoms such as forgetfulness and confusion after weekly injections over six months.
    The study of 15 patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's has just been published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation by online publishers Biomed Central.
    The experiment showed that Enbrel can deactivate TNF (tumour necrosis factor) - a chemical in the fluid surrounding the brain that is found in Alzheimer's sufferers.
    When used by arthritis sufferers, the drug is self-administered by injection and researchers had to develop a way of injecting it into the spine to affect the brain cells.
    Sue Griffin, a researcher at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said: 'It is unprecedented to see cognitive and behavioural improvement in a patient with established dementia within minutes of therapeutic intervention.
    'This gives all of us in Alzheimer research a tremendous new clue
    about new avenues of research.' Enbrel is not approved for treating Alzheimer's in the U.S. or the UK and is regarded as highly experimental, said Dr Griffin.
    'Even though this report predominantly discusses a single patient it is of significant scientific interest because of the potential insight it may give into the processes involved in the brain dysfunction of Alzheimer's,' she added.

    http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/3

    http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/co...2-2094-5-3.pdf
    Last edited by Mike C; 10 Jan 2008, 1:39 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

    #2
    hopefully their on to something. going to be alot of patients , when the baby boomers start aging.
    oh well

    Comment


      #3
      Another article about this.

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0109091102.htm
      "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

      Comment


        #4
        I saw that too. My elderly father in law has alzheimer's and it is just reaching the point of really affecting his life. Hopefully they are on to something here.
        T7-8 since Feb 2005

        Comment


          #5
          The drug is available now. I say shots for everybody with Alzheimers right away...no wait.
          "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

          Comment


            #6
            Excellent to read. Thanks for posting.

            Makes me wonder about what we'll be reading about as 'miracles' in twenty years from now.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

            T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

            Comment


              #7
              Like for SCI as an example? Sigh.
              "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

              Comment


                #8
                Instant neurons! I am very skeptical. Wise.

                Originally posted by Mike C
                Drug can reverse Alzheimer´s symptoms in minutes

                A drug used for arthritis can reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer's "in minutes". It appears to tackle one of the main features of the disease - inflammation in the brain.
                The drug, called Enbrel, is injected into the spine where it blocks a chemical responsible for damaging the brain and other organs.
                A pilot study carried out by U.S. researchers found one patient had his symptoms reversed "in minutes".
                Other patients have shown some improvements in symptoms such as forgetfulness and confusion after weekly injections over six months.
                The study of 15 patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's has just been published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation by online publishers Biomed Central.
                The experiment showed that Enbrel can deactivate TNF (tumour necrosis factor) - a chemical in the fluid surrounding the brain that is found in Alzheimer's sufferers.
                When used by arthritis sufferers, the drug is self-administered by injection and researchers had to develop a way of injecting it into the spine to affect the brain cells.
                Sue Griffin, a researcher at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said: 'It is unprecedented to see cognitive and behavioural improvement in a patient with established dementia within minutes of therapeutic intervention.
                'This gives all of us in Alzheimer research a tremendous new clue
                about new avenues of research.' Enbrel is not approved for treating Alzheimer's in the U.S. or the UK and is regarded as highly experimental, said Dr Griffin.
                'Even though this report predominantly discusses a single patient it is of significant scientific interest because of the potential insight it may give into the processes involved in the brain dysfunction of Alzheimer's,' she added.

                http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/3

                http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/co...2-2094-5-3.pdf

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mike C
                  Drug can reverse Alzheimer´s symptoms in minutes

                  A drug used for arthritis can reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer's "in minutes". It appears to tackle one of the main features of the disease - inflammation in the brain.
                  The drug, called Enbrel, is injected into the spine where it blocks a chemical responsible for damaging the brain and other organs.
                  A pilot study carried out by U.S. researchers found one patient had his symptoms reversed "in minutes".
                  Other patients have shown some improvements in symptoms such as forgetfulness and confusion after weekly injections over six months.
                  The study of 15 patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's has just been published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation by online publishers Biomed Central.
                  The experiment showed that Enbrel can deactivate TNF (tumour necrosis factor) - a chemical in the fluid surrounding the brain that is found in Alzheimer's sufferers.
                  When used by arthritis sufferers, the drug is self-administered by injection and researchers had to develop a way of injecting it into the spine to affect the brain cells.
                  Sue Griffin, a researcher at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said: 'It is unprecedented to see cognitive and behavioural improvement in a patient with established dementia within minutes of therapeutic intervention.
                  'This gives all of us in Alzheimer research a tremendous new clue
                  about new avenues of research.' Enbrel is not approved for treating Alzheimer's in the U.S. or the UK and is regarded as highly experimental, said Dr Griffin.
                  'Even though this report predominantly discusses a single patient it is of significant scientific interest because of the potential insight it may give into the processes involved in the brain dysfunction of Alzheimer's,' she added.

                  http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/3

                  http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/co...2-2094-5-3.pdf

                  I really hope that if this is not so, it will soon be so. Maybe one day soon we will have the answer for all these diseases that plague mankind.

                  Raven
                  Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

                  A warrior is not one who always wins,
                  but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

                  Comment


                    #10
                    After looking at that paper, I think that this is real and very interesting. I am putting my skepticism aside.

                    A little bit of history might be of interest as well. Some of you may remember thalidomide, the drug that made babies that don't have arms and legs? Thalidomide was very popularly used by women to treat nausea and morning sickness.

                    Well, thalidomide turned out to be one of the very first and most effective TNF-alpha blockers. TNF-alpha is one of the most important inflammatory cytokines that plays a major role in many tissues, including spinal cord injury. There has been talk about trying out thalidomide in spinal cord injury, for example. TBF-alpha has also been implicated in the pathogenesis of motoneurons (Source) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and also demyelination in multiple sclerosis. Finally, the FDA recently approved thalidomide (of course with special precautions to ensure that it is not taken b pregnant women) to be used for the treatment of psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. So, a drug that was considered to be insufferably evil and that led to the formation of the Food and Drug Adminstration has now taken shown to have beneficial effects in many diseases.

                    The fact that this TNF-alpha blocker has such dramatic effects of Alzheimer's suggests strongly that TNF-alpha may play a major role in the symptoms of the disease. This is going to open a whole new field of research.

                    Wise.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Not to jump too far off topic; this is the type of research Dr. Oswald Steward is doing at RIRC. He's testing a host of existing approved drugs for use in SCI. Maybe he'll hit on one as well.
                      My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

                      Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

                      "I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

                      Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I hope people with Alzheimer's are not required to wait to use Enbrel.

                        I cannot help, but wonder how this might have helped my Grandmother. She died in December of AD complications compounded by stroke.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          How about this? Wise, if you have time, can you tear this apart at all and give your 2 cents? I wonder if such a device could also help stroke and brain damaged patients...let alone other neuro afflictions.

                          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1774



                          The helmet is the creation of Dr Gordon Dougal, a director of Virulite, a medical research company based in County Durham.
                          It follows a study at the University of Sunderland which found infra-red light can reverse memory loss in mice.
                          Dr Dougal claims that only ten minutes under the hat a day is enough to have an effect.
                          "Currently all you can do with dementia is to slow down the rate of decay - this new process will not only stop that rate of decay but partially reverse it," he said.
                          Low level infra-red red is thought to stimulate the growth of cells of all types of tissue and encourage their repair. It is able to penetrate the skin and even get through the skull.
                          "The implications of this research at Sunderland are enormous - so much so that in the future we could be able to affect and change the rate at which our bodies age," he said.
                          "We age because our cells lose the desire to regenerate and repair themselves. This ultimately results in cell death and decline of the organ functions - for the brain resulting in memory decay and deterioration in general intellectual performance.
                          "But what if there was a technology that told the cells to repair themselves and that technology was something as simple as a specific wavelength of light?"
                          The study at Sunderland found that exposing middle-aged mice to infrared light for six minutes a day for ten days improved their performance in a three-dimensional maze. In the human trials, due to start this summer, the scientists will use levels of infra-red that occur naturally in sunlight.
                          Neuroscientist Paul Chazot, who helped carry out the research, said: "The results are completely new - this has never been looked at before."
                          "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I don't think that this will be credible without a ton of data or a credible mechanism of action. From the outset, I am not sure that I am willing to accept both the results and the premise of the results, i.e. that it is infrared and not something else that they were doing. First, they need to ensure that it is that particular infrared wavelength or some other wavelength. Second, if what they say is true, that means people who go onto into the sunshine for ten minutes a day have better memory than those who do not. Suppose that this is true, it may have no relevance whatsoever because almost all people are exposed to at least ten minutes of sunshine (infrared). Third, there is no reasonable mechanism.

                            Wise.



                            Originally posted by Mike C
                            How about this? Wise, if you have time, can you tear this apart at all and give your 2 cents? I wonder if such a device could also help stroke and brain damaged patients...let alone other neuro afflictions.

                            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1774



                            The helmet is the creation of Dr Gordon Dougal, a director of Virulite, a medical research company based in County Durham.
                            It follows a study at the University of Sunderland which found infra-red light can reverse memory loss in mice.
                            Dr Dougal claims that only ten minutes under the hat a day is enough to have an effect.
                            "Currently all you can do with dementia is to slow down the rate of decay - this new process will not only stop that rate of decay but partially reverse it," he said.
                            Low level infra-red red is thought to stimulate the growth of cells of all types of tissue and encourage their repair. It is able to penetrate the skin and even get through the skull.
                            "The implications of this research at Sunderland are enormous - so much so that in the future we could be able to affect and change the rate at which our bodies age," he said.
                            "We age because our cells lose the desire to regenerate and repair themselves. This ultimately results in cell death and decline of the organ functions - for the brain resulting in memory decay and deterioration in general intellectual performance.
                            "But what if there was a technology that told the cells to repair themselves and that technology was something as simple as a specific wavelength of light?"
                            The study at Sunderland found that exposing middle-aged mice to infrared light for six minutes a day for ten days improved their performance in a three-dimensional maze. In the human trials, due to start this summer, the scientists will use levels of infra-red that occur naturally in sunlight.
                            Neuroscientist Paul Chazot, who helped carry out the research, said: "The results are completely new - this has never been looked at before."

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                              I don't think that this will be credible without a ton of data or a credible mechanism of action. From the outset, I am not sure that I am willing to accept both the results and the premise of the results, i.e. that it is infrared and not something else that they were doing. First, they need to ensure that it is that particular infrared wavelength or some other wavelength. Second, if what they say is true, that means people who go onto into the sunshine for ten minutes a day have better memory than those who do not. Suppose that this is true, it may have no relevance whatsoever because almost all people are exposed to at least ten minutes of sunshine (infrared). Third, there is no reasonable mechanism.

                              Wise.


                              FYI - This is in the news the last few days... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU3GuSmiBQc

                              18-Oct-2021 see for details....
                              https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/931749
                              Last edited by C5QuadGuy; 22 Oct 2021, 11:46 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X