X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible new wind energy harvesting technology... very convincing

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1233395616

I am very impressed. Wise.

I think that is great it, but I wonder if it will go into some type of production or if it will get squashed by the major power industries. wind power has been around for years and now they are finally trying to harness it by the use of turbine. Why must we wait to be ECO friendly, we should have been doing this for decades.

Comment

While I agree that this technology is very creative, I have never thought of wind power as very practical on a mass scale. I imagine this tech. would still require a lot of surface area and massive 80ft. towers. Thousands of wind towers all over the landscape, even possibly clearing acres of trees that block the wind flow.

The environmental impact is tremendous, and they're ugly. For single use on farms and such, this may be practical.

Imagine how beautiful and serene this scene would be without the wind towers.

Comment

Originally posted by ala
        While I agree that this technology is very creative, I have never thought of wind power as very practical on a mass scale. I imagine this tech. would still require a lot of surface area and massive 80ft. towers. Thousands of wind towers all over the landscape, even possibly clearing acres of trees that block the wind flow.

The environmental impact is tremendous, and they're ugly. For single use on farms and such, this may be practical.

Get the mills out where the wind is;

Here is a cool clip (click the first);

See video about the Hywind Hydro concept:

Hywind - high broadbandHywind - low broadbandHywind - Modem/ISDN

Comment

Simply outstanding. A KISS solution that can change the world.
          "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

I agree with ala about the environmental impact of wind farms in comparison to the amount of electricity generated, while not totally against them I think are far better alternatives. Heres an idea by an inventor that produces enough electricity for the average household by placing small relatively inexpensive wind turbines on the roof, they appear to require only relatively low wind speeds to operate effectively.
            http://www.metaefficient.com/renewab...australia.html
            Place a few of these on the roof, buy an electric car and your individual carbon footprint is vastly reduced.

Comment

I´d buy 4 or 5 of those wind turbines right away.
              "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Mike, I will too. I cant think of anything better than to be independent of the oil companies. The government here is subsidising alternative energy sources for households which I think is a very good thing. They will also through subsidy schemes pay the total cost of LPG vehicle conversions for non businesses.

Comment

I like solar power. Like wind power, solar power is not continuous; they both are dependent on availability of the wind or sun. But solar has less impact. Consider the new solar roof film tech. or panels on every home creating a decentralized grid supplementing the main power grid. In places like Florida where the highest energy use is during the day when the sun is brightest, it is a natural--no moving parts, no emissions. Little impact to the environment--they even look good, similar to a metal roof.

Comment

Originally posted by ala

Ala,

Let me try to address your comment from two perspectives.

First, if the choice is between not having that scene at all or the scene with wind towers, I think that I would prefer the latter. Fortunately, we probably don't have to make that choice. The wind towers can be placed in less desirable spots. For example, Chicago is known as the "windy city". Wouldn't it be nice to capture that wind and use that energy.

Second, I like this idea of having a vibrating tape approach to capturing the energy. Such a device can be placed vertically in a pole or tower. Imagine putting a wind collector into all the telephone and power towers in windy areas, all contributing to the grid of electricity. After all the towers are there already and therefore should not be any more unsightly than what we already have.

Wise.

this is why this particularly technology that gets away from the turbine will solve the problem that you are referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
                      Ala,

Let me try to address your comment from two perspectives.

First, if the choice is between not having that scene at all or the scene with wind towers, I think that I would prefer the latter. Fortunately, we probably don't have to make that choice. The wind towers can be placed in less desirable spots. For example, Chicago is known as the "windy city". Wouldn't it be nice to capture that wind and use that energy.

Second, I like this idea of having a vibrating tape approach to capturing the energy. Such a device can be placed vertically in a pole or tower. Imagine putting a wind collector into all the telephone and power towers in windy areas, all contributing to the grid of electricity. After all the towers are there already and therefore should not be any more unsightly than what we already have.

Wise.

this is why this particularly technology that gets away from the turbine will solve the problem that you are referring to.
                      I do agree that this technology has advantages over the standard turbine/generator configuration--less complex, less moving parts, less maintenance. On the surface your idea of using existing phone/power towers sounds plausible, but I think I see a flaw in this logic. First, these existing towers cover an extremely wide area making their placement critical in relation to other structures blocking the wind. Second, doing this would require a wind corridor around each tower necessitating the clearing of large numbers of trees. What would be the impact of that to Global Warming? This would also greatly limit construction of buildings and homes in populated areas near these towers.

Comment

you all neglect that there is a moving part. and as that part vibrates in is also emitting a sound simular to a string instrament also the fact that animals getting into the movement, by placing a screen around it to keep things from entering the area you also slow the wind speed to operate it. there are all sorts of pro/con arguements of the use. the Question is what is going to be done and how soon?

Comment

Originally posted by ala
                          I do agree that this technology has advantages over the standard turbine/generator configuration--less complex, less moving parts, less maintenance. On the surface your idea of using existing phone/power towers sounds plausible, but I think I see a flaw in this logic. First, these existing towers cover an extremely wide area making their placement critical in relation to other structures blocking the wind. Second, doing this would require a wind corridor around each tower necessitating the clearing of large numbers of trees. What would be the impact of that to Global Warming? This would also greatly limit construction of buildings and homes in populated areas near these towers.
                          Hmm, I see a lot of towers is along the roads and lots and lots of high towers that seem to be everywhere.

In terms of wind in cities, I lived close to the Citicorp building on Murray Hill in Manhattan and can testify that there are strong winds in the city, as this article from 1994 describes:
                          NEIGHBORHOOD REPORT: LONG ISLAND CITY; Controversy Died Down; Wind Hasn’t

By BRUCE LAMBERT
                          Published: February 6, 1994, The New York Times

Citicorp’s tower, an impressive skyscraper, sometimes sweeps people off their feet — literally. Powerful winds sporadically swirling around it actually lift unwary pedestrians off the ground, neighbors say.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but people get blown into midair,” said Susan P. Chetwin, general manager of the Muzak office across the street on Jackson Avenue. Her workers regularly use the tower for its Citibank branch and basement subway stop.

Jean McIntyre, describing a daily bank errand for Muzak, said, “the wind picked me up completely off the sidewalk — this is no exaggeration — and I was just flying through the air.” She was lifted several inches off the ground and flung about 20 feet away, she estimates.

“It felt like I was going 30 miles an hour. I was headed for a glass window, so I managed to throw myself to the ground to prevent that. I hurt my shoulder, hip and head. I was dazed for a while. I could have been killed there.”

Just what is causing the turbulence is unclear. A Citicorp spokesman said, however, that the company took precautions recently by temporarily closing one entrance, posting warnings and putting up a rope railing; further measures are being studied.

Speaking without specific knowledge of the Citicorp situation, experts noted that wind striking skyscrapers can create strong drafts. Irwin G. Cantor, a structural engineer specializing in tall buildings, said that scientists can make a model of a building and its surroundings, then measure air flow in a wind tunnel “to learn where the hot spots are.” Installing planters or trees might help buffer the wind, he said.

Writing to Citicorp on Jan. 4 about turbulence that day, Ms. Chetwin said three workers were swept off their feet, including one who “was blown into a pole and slightly injured and has gone home for the day.” An earlier letter described a woman being hurled beneath a standing car.
                          http://licsundial.net/?p=66

Wind maps indicate that the USA is a great place for harvesting wind energy. The U.S.Department of Energy indicates that California, Texas, and Iowa are the densest users of wind power in the country. Together wind is generating already 13 GW (August 2007). If this new device turns out to be ten times more efficient than turbine propeller approaches, wind can be used to generate 130 GW by 2010.

Comment

This is my idea of attractive wind power. Don Quixote would love it.

Comment

Originally posted by darrel
                              you all neglect that there is a moving part. and as that part vibrates in is also emitting a sound simular to a string instrament also the fact that animals getting into the movement, by placing a screen around it to keep things from entering the area you also slow the wind speed to operate it. there are all sorts of pro/con arguements of the use. the Question is what is going to be done and how soon?
                              Yes, noise and protection of the devices is something that needs to be considered. In many ways, a vibrating sheet is similar to the reed of a saxophone or other kind of wind instrument.

In my opinion, the most difficult problem will be to keep the sheet clean and at the proper tension. Eventually, dirt will accumulate. So, the mylar sheet that serves as the wind catcher may have to be regularly replaced.

By the way, I doubt that birds or animals will get into the device if it is situated high enough. It is not moving so fast that the birds will be killed on contact. If it is on a tower, animals are less likely to get to it.

I am puzzled by the concern that people are expressing concerning birds being killed on wind farms. All wind-driven devices are not turning that fast. Several studies of avian mortality in Iowa have not shown any significant increase in avian mortality. I suspect that one highway such as the New Jersey Turnpike probably annually kills more birds and animals than all the wind farm of the United States put together.

Noise may be a problem. I find it interesting that some scientists are spending time studying how the noise of wind farms may be affecting the anti-predatory behavior of ground squirrels (Source). This concept is so startling that I had to read through the article twice to figure out what they are talking about. It is hard to believe that the sound of wind farms would be much greater than the noise of automobiles whooshing along on highways.

Finally, in an earlier topic, I had pointed out a number of people who had actually suggested that a great place to put wind generators are on high ways. These are natural wind tunnels and the passage of the vehicles generate wind. /forum/showpost.php?p=640557&postcount=1

Wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X