Interesting scientific factoids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting scientific factoids

We consider factoids interesting if we have not encountered it before and it is surprising to us. Well, I encountered this site that listed "odd facts". For example, these are "facts" that I did not know:
    • Venus is the only planet in the solar system that rotates clockwise.
    • It usually takes 30-45 minutes for gas to pass their your intestines.
    • A person burns 7% more calories if they walk on hard dirt than on pavement.
    • A raindrop falls from the sky at an average of 21 feet per second.
    • Fetuses start yawning at about the 11th week after conception.
    • The average ear grows 0.01 inches in length every year (in other words, if you are 100 years old, the ear would be 1 inch longer).
    • A human sheds 10 billion skin flakes a day, adding up to about 2 kilograms per year.
    • Humans are born with 300 bones in their body but many fuse so that adults have 206.
    • An average woman has 17 square feet of skin. A pregnant woman in the 9th month has 18.5.
    • The average day is actually 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4.06 seconds long.
    • One third pound of broccoli contains more vitamin C than 204 apples.
    • Almonds are members of the peach family.
    • The hyoid bone in your throat is the only bone in the body not attached to another bone.
    • During a typical lifespan, the heart beats about 2.5 billion times.
    • More people have phobia of frogs than rats.
    • When glass breaks, the cracks develop at 3000 miles per hour.
    • If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will be heads up more like 4,950 times (because the heads side is heavier).
    • The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet.
    • A butterfly must have a body temperature of greater than 86 degrees F in order to fly.
    • Hippos drink 250 liters of water in any 24 hour period.
    • Armidillos have four babies at any time and they are always the same sex.
    • The largest spider is the Megarachne (in Argentina) and measures 50 cm in diameter.
    • Sharks don't have cancer.
    • One tree can filter 60 pounds of pollutants from the air each year.
    • Iguanas recognize their human handlers and greet them differently compared to strangers.
    • Blueberries have more antioxidants than any other fruit.
    • Alaska has twice as many caribous as people.
    • Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 50 years or older.
    • All penguins live south of the equator (except those in zoos).
    • A mature oak tree draws about 50 gallons of fluid per day.

I don't know how true most of these are.

Wise.

Novel information is of interest because a recent study suggests that novelty increases learning due to release of dopamine http://www.smart-kit.com/s118/studen...e-your-memory/

Comment

• If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will be heads up more like 4,950 times (because the heads side is heavier).
      It seems anti-intuitive that the heavier side would land up.
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
        It seems anti-intuitive that the heavier side would land up.
        I thought this too until I realized that the heavier side would land up 4950 which is less than 50%, meaning that the heavier side has a higher chance of being dragged down and the penny landing tails up appx. 5050 times out of 10k. But the question to ask is by how much heavier is the heads side than the tails side. I always thought they were equal.
        No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

Megarachne (Giant Spider) a "Sea Scorpion"

Originally posted by Wise Young
          • The largest spider is the Megarachne (in Argentina) and measures 50 cm in diameter.
          Wise.
          Having had a lifelong interest in arachnids (steming from a desire to understand and overcome my arachniphobia), I searched for images of this "spider" and discovered that is has been reclassified as a "sea scorpion" or member of the crab family.

source

Megarachne: Paul Selden's latest reconstruction

Spider: Original reconstruction

Do you have someone else squash the spider in the tub? No? What if the spider was nearly a metre long? Since 1980, after the discovery of a fossil, the world's biggest spider was thought to be the Megarachne. But now Dr. Paul Selden -- an expert in all things creepy crawly -- says it's not a spider at all. Feel better? Didn't think so. We reached Dr. Selden at his home in Manchester, England.

Listen to Mary Lou's interview with Dr. Selden.

Related links:

Dr. Selden's page (Manshester University)

* Very revealing interview with expert in field.

Last edited by Wise Young; 11-28-2006, 05:39 AM.
          "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
          J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Juke, great catch! (I edited the length of the URL address).

Tufel, very good reasoning.

Wise.

Comment

Working...
            X