Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

humans and fire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • humans and fire

    why humans were not afraid of fire and all the other species are afraid of fire?if we evolved ,we evolved from what?
    sorry if is a dumb question,but i cannot sleep until i will know how i became a human[homo sapiens].

  • #2
    Well, first of all, there are other species that are not afraid of fire...For example, horses will run into a burning barn. AND, there are MANY humans who ARE afraid of fire, I know several people who are terrified of it....I'm not one of them, I'm fascinated by it, and a trained pyrotechnician....

    NOW, the question as to how you became a human comes down to your belief system..If you believe in evolution, then you are going to believe that humans evolved from another species....If you're a Christian and believe in creation then you believe that we were created by God and put on this earth that way, in which case, THAT is how you became human. No one here can tell you what YOU believe, we can try to convince you of OUR beliefs, but that's not going to serve any purpose. Do you believe in creation or evolution? that is the answer to your question of how YOU became a human....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

    "My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

    Comment


    • #3
      i agree

      Comment


      • #4
        Adi, to answer your question on how you became human, you must first establish whether or not you are human [homo sapiens sapiens].
        Daniel

        Comment


        • #5
          My granny convinced me that if I played with fire....I would wet the bed. LOL

          Right on "Chelle.....
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

          My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dan_nc
            Adi, to answer your question on how you became human, you must first establish whether or not you are human [homo sapiens sapiens].
            i have never seen any chimps or other primates to control the fire or to type like i do.am i a human[homo sapiens sapiens]or not?j/k.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Broknwing
              there are other species that are not afraid of fire...For example, horses will run into a burning barn.
              I'm not sure that's proof that horses aren't afraid of fire. I'm pretty sure that in cases where animals have run into the path of oncoming flames or into burning structures it's because they are actually quite scared and disoriented by the smoke and fire.

              I have seen some pretty well documented cases of mama kitties running into burning buildings to save their babies, but I bet they were scared, too.

              C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                I'm not sure that's proof that horses aren't afraid of fire. I'm pretty sure that in cases where animals have run into the path of oncoming flames or into burning structures it's because they are actually quite scared and disoriented by the smoke and fire.

                I have seen some pretty well documented cases of mama kitties running into burning buildings to save their babies, but I bet they were scared, too.

                C.
                You have a very good point Tiger. Horses are not a dumb animal..but super high strung personalities. That at times gets them into trouble.

                The most famous Momma Cat was Scarlett of recent times. She really was burned badly but just kept on going back. Amazin animals.
                Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

                Comment


                • #9
                  my dogs love curling up near the fireplace.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My horse jumped the fence when the pasture was on fire. (She ran FROM the fire.) The only other time she jumped the fence was to get away from the other horses to give birth.

                    I was surprised to realize she could jump the fence at will. Most times I guess she just didn't want to.
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by betheny
                      My horse jumped the fence when the pasture was on fire. (She ran FROM the fire.) The only other time she jumped the fence was to get away from the other horses to give birth.

                      I was surprised to realize she could jump the fence at will. Most times I guess she just didn't want to.
                      I think if animals have the time to rationalize they will do just that.
                      Your most likely right about your mare. She didn't have a reason or desire to jump that fence..only doing it when needed.
                      Just like those elephants in Indonesia dealing with the tsunami. They had huge chains around their legs..and when they NEEDED to be set free..one SNAP and they were going uphill.
                      Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wesley
                        my dogs love curling up near the fireplace.
                        Wesley, yes, dogs do love to curl up near a fire. I thought that I would search the internet for examples of apes that have been able start fires and came across an ape that pulled a fire alarm:

                        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15392875/
                        Ape learns human lesson: Don’t pull fire alarm
                        ‘It's my understanding that she's been told not to do it again,’ official says
                        IMAGE: Panbanisha
                        AP

                        This undated photo provided by the Great Ape Trust shows Panbanisha, who pulled the fire alarm Friday, sending out the fire department to the Great Ape Trust of Iowa in Des Moines.

                        Updated: 9:33 p.m. ET Oct. 23, 2006

                        DES MOINES, Iowa - One of the great apes at a research center in Des Moines has learned a valuable lesson: don't pull the fire alarm. A bonobo named Panbanisha did just that last Friday, sending out the fire department to the Great Ape Trust of Iowa.

                        Fire department spokesman Brian O'Keefe said Monday it was the first known case of an animal setting off a fire alarm in Des Moines.

                        Trust spokesman Al Setka said a 25-year-old female named Panbanisha was the guilty ape.
                        Story continues below ↓ advertisement

                        Setka said Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, a lead scientist at the trust focusing on studying the behavior and intelligence of bonobos, scolded Panbanisha.

                        "It's my understanding that she's been told not to do it again," Setka said.

                        The fire alarm is on a wall in the bonobo home in an area used by the apes and members of the scientific team. Panbanisha is one of seven bonobos at the Great Ape Trust, and was among the first group to arrive in April 2005. Bonobos are among the most human-like of the great apes.

                        <more>

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'd be interested to see what happens when you take an animal that is afraid of fire and show it something like this: http://www.vat19.com/dvds/ambf.cfm

                          Would the fear transfer to the television image?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by emilstringer
                            I'd be interested to see what happens when you take an animal that is afraid of fire and show it something like this: http://www.vat19.com/dvds/ambf.cfm

                            Would the fear transfer to the television image?
                            Hey, that could be an experiment although interpretation may be difficult. You would have to have a control image to compare against the fire image. Animals respond variably to images on televisions. Most dogs, in my experience, watch television. However, I don't think that rats watch television. Wise.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Wise Young
                              Hey, that could be an experiment although interpretation may be difficult. You would have to have a control image to compare against the fire image. Animals respond variably to images on televisions. Most dogs, in my experience, watch television. However, I don't think that rats watch television. Wise.
                              Dr. Wise,
                              Perhaps your lab rats don't care for C-Span.
                              Try Animal Planet. All those predators might get a reaction out of them.
                              Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X