SCI side effects of using Xarelto as a prophylaxis to prevent DVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCI side effects of using Xarelto as a prophylaxis to prevent DVT

Hi, am about 9 years post injury now. T3 complete. Every couple of years, my right leg swells up and I visit the ER. They do an ultrasound but have never found any clots. It happened again a couple months ago and stayed however. I saw a circulation doc yesterday and she thinks that my extended time sitting is causing an artery near the hip to compress a vein, thus creating accumulation in my leg.

I told her that I am freaked about getting a pulmonary embolism or having a stroke, and she recommended putting me on 10 mg of Xarelto to prevent clots, basically for the rest of my life!

Question to the community: will a drug like this make me more susceptible to pressure sores or any other SCI complications? If you have used it, how did it work out for you? Thanks so much, Mark

I was just put on it 5 months ago ... preventative for clots so I am definitely interested in what others have to say not sure how long drug has actually been available so maybe limited number of SCI,s have been on it?

Comment

Working...
    X