Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Vent to Diaphragmatic Pacing System (DPS)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been told the same thing about never leaving the trach open for more than a few minutes lest it start to close. Those few minutes kind of creep me out too, not being able to speak or cough.

Comment

Well, I haven't ever been told how quickly a trach stoma can close, but a GI doctor told me if we ever want to get rid of my g-tube (we kept it for convenience mostly; I get water & meds while I sleep, but it's also good for gastric burping and taking hard-to-swallow meds) to just take it out and put a bandage over the gastric stoma. He didn't even say to not eat or drink for a certain timeframe, which I took to mean it would close up pretty quickly.

NancyGail, is there a benefit or reason you like having it out? Did your doctor say it was ok?

Just curious.
      Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

I remember when hubby was at Craig and they removed his trach. They just put a piece of clear tape ver it and it closed in days.
        It amazed me a hole in your throat can heal so easily, but a spinal cord is ruined.
        Unfortunately he had to have it back within a few months. In his case, looking back I think it was a bit too optimistic removing it.
        We need it for suctioning and the vent at night or when he is tired. Espscially with the chronic atelectisis (sp) of one of his lower lobes.
        The same with the gtube twice, taped over and in a couple days closed.

Comment

NancyGail, I wasn't trying to "reprimand" you when asking if your doctor approved of you having your trach out for 3 hours. I realize that those of us who need breathing assistance occasionally do things without asking our doctors (myself included). But this seems more important than some other choices we could make. I'm wondering if your doctor has a strong opinion. I'll try to remember to ask my ENT doctor about trach stomas the next time I see him.
          Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

A few years ago I was doing a lot of self-breathing practice and was doing fairly well with it. I did some while my trach was out as well, but not for very long. My doctor first approved me going without it for ten minutes at a time then, a few months later, he let me leave it out as long as I wanted, if it went in without problem.

I believe the longest I went was about 30 minutes. It feels great to have it out, but it's not pleasant by any means when it doesn't go in well.
            C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by BillMiller823 View Post
              Well, I haven't ever been told how quickly a trach stoma can close, but a GI doctor told me if we ever want to get rid of my g-tube (we kept it for convenience mostly; I get water & meds while I sleep, but it's also good for gastric burping and taking hard-to-swallow meds) to just take it out and put a bandage over the gastric stoma. He didn't even say to not eat or drink for a certain timeframe, which I took to mean it would close up pretty quickly.
              Bill, my sons G-tube stoma closed in under 2 hrs. When it first was placed, we were told to not let it come out because it would close in less than an hour.

It was finally removed after 9 years and it was a surgical procedure at that point because of all the scaring. Even with surgery it refused to heal.
              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake View Post
                It was finally removed after 9 years and it was a surgical procedure at that point because of all the scaring. Even with surgery it refused to heal.
                My g-tube was removed via muscle spasm. Over 20 years later, the whole left from is still quite visible, my second belly button my young cousins called it.

Comment

What's the difference between DPS & phrenic nerve stimulator? I'm a c1 &c2 complete, and I've been using phrenic nerve stimulators for 27 years. Just curious about the difference

Comment

Basiclly, the main differences are that with the DPS the surgical approach is through the abdomen & the electrodes are attached directly to the diaphragm while with PNS it is through the chest & the electrodes wrapped around the phrenic nerves. Also with the DPS a wire goes through the skin to the under side of the diaphram long term.

KLD
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank youit's amazing how technology has come since 1984

Comment

I've been a quad since 1985, I agree on the large number of changes over the years. One item about these pacemakers is that they aren't very common or well known. Yesterday I had a quick 15 minute fix done to my wires, but it took two months to get it arranged.

As use and knowledge increase, it will get better, but that will take time.

Comment

With mine it was usually battery wires breaking antennas needed to be changed or the receiver breaking inside me. I've experienced it all

Comment

What type of pacer is yours?

Comment

Mine is by Synapse Biomedical, a diaphragmatic pacemaker. I'm interested to hear what yours is as well mcwhiman.

Comment

phrenic nerve stimulators by avery laboratory. I have had them for almost 27 years

Comment

Working...
                                X