Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much will the full body scanners see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been offered everywhere I traveled except in Kansas City. I have flown maybe 10 times the past 2 years, counting return flights. I always wonder why they don't worry what is down in our tubing on the chairs.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
      I have been offered everywhere I traveled except in Kansas City. I have flown maybe 10 times the past 2 years, counting return flights. I always wonder why they don't worry what is down in our tubing on the chairs.
      About a million years ago in my old hippy days I use to know a guy who used a cane when he flew, and only when he flew. He was perfectly AB, so one time when I heard him talking about "the cane" I finally asked what was up with that.....to which he replied the entire tubing was stuffed with marijuana. No one thought of explosives in those days, but he had already figured out how to get grass through customs, so you are right in wondering why they aren't worried about tubing, although I would much prefer that they do not disassemble my chair just to check!

Comment

I don't remember, it was not in Nashville so it must have been in Philadephia on the way home. And they did look inside my cushion too. I had to sit on another chair. And shoes off. And I was nearly late for the plane and half the people were on the plane when I came. They nearly forgot my computer too. Ok, it was a cheap trip but I didn't like the US Airways too much.

But it was not as bad as Moscow where they wanted me to take the steps three floors down, no lift. LOL, in the end they had to drag my chair down all the stairs and up again into the plane. They wanted me to walk down and they only understood Russian.
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Judge for yourself

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/c...gh_powers.html
          Kaya Special Optics now gives you Superman-like powers, specifically the famed X-ray vision, in the form of the new Infrared See-through Filter PF. Able to penetrate an object's surface, it actually allows you to see what's underneath.

Of course, you also know that this will come with all sorts of regulations - I doubt if they'll ever allow you to use it on the streets. The 52mm PF4, when used with a compatible camcorder (or any CCD for that matter) allows you to create a See-Through system.

Check out the image below when PF4 is used on a digital camera's CCD. The results are unbelievable. I bet this thing will be banned in several countries in the days to come. Details at Kaya Optics and here.
          ex1_1.gif Kaya Optics 52mm PF4 Filter

May be the genie has already left the bottle.
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
          --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
          ––Paul Nussbaum
          usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I remember, Sony I think, had to pull a bunch of their video cameras off the shelf years ago because the IR night vision saw through clothes.

My only concern with full body imaging is turning on the operator so much they start stalking me.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I'd tap that.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                I remember, Sony I think, had to pull a bunch of their video cameras off the shelf years ago because the IR night vision saw through clothes.
                Memory serves correct. Camera technology has much improved in the past four years.
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                ––Paul Nussbaum
                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lazlo View Post
                  I strongly suspect this image is fake. Her hair would not look like that, highlights and all, on the scan. And why would her nipples appear darker than the rest of her skin? That would only happen with visible light and multiple wavelengths, not a single wavelength of reflected x-rays.
                  Lazlo, The picture of the woman is simply a photoshopped picture where the signal intensities were manipulated. If the original x-ray like picture is a real picture, the second picture that looks more like a photo is simply a one where the intensity was adjusted.

You do raise some interesting questions. For example, why should the areola absorb more x-ray than other skin? I don't know but the areola clearly absorbs more light than the rest of the skin and why not x-rays. The areola is also different underneath from the rest of tissues and I wonder if more x-ray goes through the areola than is reflected.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mal_scheme.png

I think that I can reasonably justify why hair would have highlights on x-ray reflection. After all, light has such high lights... why not x-rays? I don't have much experience with reflected x-rays but have looked at lots of infrared and ultraviolet pictures. Reflected light, even of a single frequency, often will show highlights.

Wise.

Comment

LOL! After a few weeks of inpatient I started referring to my 'privates' as my 'publics'!

Seriously, I think we've got better things to do with our time then waste it wallowing in shame or embarrassment over our body images. We're all human, we all look the same with very minor differences. If you're an adult, get over it.

Safety first.

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                    Is it just me, or anyone else feel slightly de-sensitized to a naked body after:
                    • 3 months of SCI rehab
                    • numerous full bed baths
                    • perhaps 15 people with their fingers up my butt
                    • urology exams with electrodes on my testicles and in my butt
                    • being cleaned up after another involuntary while in bed
                    • having been given a bowel program in IC's from both my wife and my mother
                    I am being silly of course.....but being seen naked in a grainy black and white picture no longer sends shivers of fear and embarassment down my spine....lol
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Ditto, Dale and Jody, what's mine is yours and whats yours is yours!

Comment

Anyone been in trouble for a leg bag or the like? Many years ago I got stopped at an airport where the people doing the pat down didnt really speak english. They felt my full bag and shouted 'bomba' then people with guns came around me and bustled me into a spare room. OF course they let me go when they saw what it was, but talk about embarrassing!

Another time a lady wante to put her hand in my undies because she saw/felt my pad.
                        "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

Comment

Turns out the pic was a fake after all: http://trueslant.com/KashmirHill/201...drudge-report/

Here's a link to the original un-photoshopped source pic: http://www.f1online.de/premid/000518000/518430.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lazlo View Post
                            Turns out the pic was a fake after all: http://trueslant.com/KashmirHill/201...drudge-report/

Here's a link to the original un-photoshopped source pic: http://www.f1online.de/premid/000518000/518430.jpg
                            Lazlo, thanks very much. It is very helpful to know that those pictures are actual pictures of a nude model.

It would be useful if somebody were to assess real scans. The pictures that I found on internet for scans were quite revealing as well but, as you pointed out, the areola are not dark on x-ray images. I know that they are not dark on transmitted x-ray images but I did not know whether this was true for reflected x-rays.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                              Right there with you Mark. I am not sure why, but if I had to choose between safety and someone oogling my midddle aged body, let them oogle. I just want to arrive at my destination in one piece.
                              But why do we think that full body scanning improves safety?

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                                It would be useful if somebody were to assess real scans.
                                I find it comforting that they can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X