Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do spiders create such dread in some people?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    My 12 year old son who usually makes his bed on the floor in my room woke up a few nights ago to one ugly brown spider with splotchy black spots on the legs crawling on his face. He knocked it off and jumped up to turn the light on cause he knew something had been on him. We didn't see anything, so he turned the light out, laid back down to go back to sleep and the thing comes crawling across the covers. He has been in my bed since.
    __________________________________
    C4/5 functioning on a C6 level, use of left hand, no triceps

    Comment


    • #17
      I don't know why spiders make me want to destroy them so much. I guess its out of fear they will be eating me when I'm sleeping. A few spiders I let live ended up biting me as I slept and it put me into a spider killing rage!!

      Some spiders I let live though because they look cute and harmless. But....BUT the ones that look like they could do some damage I crush with my crutch over and over again. Its something to witness because its not just once I keep going at it for awhile like some psycho who just murdered someone. I think the amount of times I hit it with the crutch is directly proportional to how big it was or how scarey it looked

      I remember one morning in NC when I was going to take a shower I hobble in there and sit on the toilet seat to undress and as I reach down to take off my sock this huge mother f'ing black spider was there. HE NOT ONLY WAS THERE BUT he put up his 2 front legs like he was challenging me to a death match. NOT OKAY SPIDER ... YOU WILL FEEL MY WRATH.
      He realized his mistake soon after when he saw my crutch coming for him. He didn’t realize some humans have crutches I guess. The first strike was a miss and he was headed straight for my leg! It was my bad leg so I couldn’t move it, it was just going to take the spider attack if he got to it in time.

      He was jumping over my socks like he was in the Olympics, I could tell he wanted a taste as soon as I saw his 10 eyes and right when he was about to get to my foot I DESTROY HIM!
      Again, I went on my insane smashing rage as I crush him over and over again. I wish I could see my face when I smash spiders. After that I take my shower pretending a life threatening attack didn’t just happen. I hop out of my room and roommates are like WTF DID YOU DO IN THERE. As I look down at my hands, I can still smell the faint hint of death on them. I look up slowly and whisper I was in an epic battle .... and I am the VICTOR! Then I do a back flip and MID AIR OF THE BACK FLIP I GROW MOTHA FUCKING ANGEL WINGS and fly the f outa there. I fly to starbucks and then to work. Needless to say the Boss was impressed I was a few minutes early and that I had wings. I don't find snakes or rats scary though.
      Last edited by mr_coffee; 09-13-2009, 04:19 AM.
      Injured:10-16-04
      C7/C8, T1 incomplete;


      For stalkers convenience:
      Blog:
      http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
      Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
      Progress:
      http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
      My drawings:
      http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by geege View Post
        The reason that mosquito bites cause inflammation is the same reason they spread disease. They inject spit when they poke you. Most people have a mild allergic reaction (skin-wise) to the amazing variety of chemicals in mosquito spit.

        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3077327/

        Also, if you believe in animal totems I believe the spider stands for Mother Wisdom.
        The reason why the mosquitos use the "spit" is because it contains an anti-coagulant, which keeps the blood flowing. But it would seem to me that the most successful mosquito would be one that invested a spit that does not cause an allergic response and thereby can feed getting the human upset. But, perhaps humans who hates insect bites and takes measures to avoid being bitten may have an evolutionary advantage over those who don't mind being bitten and may get bitten more. In other words, we evolved mechanisms to become allergic to insect bits because it motivates us to not be around insects.

        Wise.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by mr_coffee View Post
          I don't know why spiders make me want to destroy them so much. I guess its out of fear they will be eating me when I'm sleeping. A few spiders I let live ended up biting me as I slept and it put me into a spider killing rage!!

          Some spiders I let live though because they look cute and harmless. But....BUT the ones that look like they could do some damage I crush with my crutch over and over again. Its something to witness because its not just once I keep going at it for awhile like some psycho who just murdered someone. I think the amount of times I hit it with the crutch is directly proportional to how big it was or how scarey it looked

          I remember one morning in NC when I was going to take a shower I hobble in there and sit on the toilet seat to undress and as I reach down to take off my sock this huge mother f'ing black spider was there. HE NOT ONLY WAS THERE BUT he put up his 2 front legs like he was challenging me to a death match. NOT OKAY SPIDER ... YOU WILL FEEL MY WRATH.
          He realized his mistake soon after when he saw my crutch coming for him. He didn’t realize some humans have crutches I guess. The first strike was a miss and he was headed straight for my leg! It was my bad leg so I couldn’t move it, it was just going to take the spider attack if he got to it in time.

          He was jumping over my socks like he was in the Olympics, I could tell he wanted a taste as soon as I saw his 10 eyes and right when he was about to get to my foot I DESTROY HIM!
          Again, I went on my insane smashing rage as I crush him over and over again. I wish I could see my face when I smash spiders. After that I take my shower pretending a life threatening attack didn’t just happen. I hop out of my room and roommates are like WTF DID YOU DO IN THERE. As I look down at my hands, I can still smell the faint hint of death on them. I look up slowly and whisper I was in an epic battle .... and I am the VICTOR! Then I do a back flip and MID AIR OF THE BACK FLIP I GROW MOTHA FUCKING ANGEL WINGS and fly the f outa there. I fly to starbucks and then to work. Needless to say the Boss was impressed I was a few minutes early and that I had wings. I don't find snakes or rats scary though.
          Ah, you see, this is the strange thing. Most spiders don't bite humans. They don't eat humans and they have no reason to attack a human. They eat things that bother humans. Yet, many hate them for some reason and, like Mr. Coffee, would go out of their way to smash them. So, why do humans hate spiders and imagine that spiders hate humans.

          Wise.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by cripple4life View Post
            anybody hear about the guy in cali who got bite by a brown "reculse" i don't know how it's spelled but he was a para for 20 years shortly after being bitten he started get feeling back and is now able to walk again.
            My mother got bit by a brown recluse spider on her foot. Her foot swelled to 3 times it's size and had a hole in the top of it that you could stick a roll of quarters in.
            Last edited by SKYCO; 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM.
            http://outcampaign.org/

            Comment


            • #21
              I like spiders (creepy crawlys dont scare me) and consider then good luck, snakes too, however I am cautious till I can identify what I may run across. Here in FL ya need to have a healthy respect,we have the black widow also the brown recluse as well as the handful of poisen snakes. I myself have run across a black widow, pigmy rattler, cotton mouth and had a close call with a coral snake and would never hurt them but turn and walk away unless otherwise threatened. Been bit by a scorpian too,it was like a bee sting.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                The reason why the mosquitos use the "spit" is because it contains an anti-coagulant, which keeps the blood flowing. But it would seem to me that the most successful mosquito would be one that invested a spit that does not cause an allergic response and thereby can feed getting the human upset. But, perhaps humans who hates insect bites and takes measures to avoid being bitten may have an evolutionary advantage over those who don't mind being bitten and may get bitten more. In other words, we evolved mechanisms to become allergic to insect bits because it motivates us to not be around insects.

                Wise.
                Dunno, evolution is a fascinating thing. Their spit also contains an anesthetic, which should keep the human "victim" from noticing for a bit. Maybe some people have evolved a resistance to the anesthetic? And in really hot parts of the world the disease carrying thing is seriously dangerous. So maybe people with origins from hotter parts of the world are evolutionarily more vigilant? I remember reading or being told that one of the serious genetic blood diseases, Sickle Cell Anemia, offers some protection from malaria as long as you're only a carrier. I found an article on a blog, if anyone's interested in reading more about it. (I didn't read all of it, it got beyond me pretty quickly. ) But it's something I always thought was interesting... well, that and why mosquitoes evolved to need warm blood for reproduction in the first place. It's not so much that they want to eat you... their biological clock is ticking.

                I'm cautious of spiders and snakes... but what REALLY freaks me out is Blow Flies... you know, the kind that deposit eggs inside a living thing? Gwaaaahhhh, that will totally inspire a shuddering dance of disgust from me.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Have nothing against spiders. Just hate the mess the make.
                  oh well

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                    Have yall ever seen anyone bitten by a black widow? It is very painful and scars badly.

                    In my opinion, I would rather suffer a dog or cat bite any day as opposed to the effects of the venom of a black widow. Not that the bite is not painful or causes scars, but the healing phases of a black widow bite is nasty and one of my friends lost quite a bit of muscle from her forearm because of a black widow bite.
                    How do you know for certain that your friend was bitten by a spider, let alone by a black widow specifically? What makes you think that you would have the same reaction to this venom? Haven't you known anyone who's been stung by a bee? I know dozens of people that were annoyed by such a sting, but thought little of it days afterwards. OTOH, my mother would die from a bee sting if she was not immediately treated for it. Different people have different reactions. Not to mention the fact that many, many so called "spider bites" are actually misdiagnosed. Spiders get a really bad rap when the truth is that they are incredibly beneficial animals.

                    2,000 brown recluse spiders in a Kansas home and no bites, UC Riverside study notes

                    C.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                      A spider is not an insect. I was thinking about insects, looked for an illustration, and came across this picture where a spider is crawling on a girl's face.
                      Ah! It's a very cool picture.

                      many people are very squeamish about cockroaches and flies, even though these insects don't "bite".
                      That could be because we know that cockroaches and flies tend to spend a lot of time hanging around the waste of other animals.

                      I wonder why mosquitos don't evolve a bite that does not cause inflammation and itching.
                      Again, technically speaking, the mosquito bite itself does not cause inflammation and itching. It is our reaction to it (the release of histamine) that causes the negative effects. There are millions of plants that cause the same reaction, but most people don't insist on stomping the life out of cotton wood trees.

                      Maybe if spider evolved to be more cute, they will not be killed as much by humans.
                      I think many spiders are already cute! Check out this mating dance. And look at this adorable jumping spider's face!

                      They are actually wonderfully cool creatures and are very useful to humans because they kill the insects that eat and infect us.
                      Indeed!

                      C.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I'm fine with them until they exceed a certain size. It's totally arbitrary and irrational, but there it is.

                        For an absolutely delightful view of insect life, or more specifically, human life as seen through the world of insects, I highly recommend the Archy and Mehitabel stories by Don Marquis. You can find some here:

                        http://www.donmarquis.com/archy/

                        including the poem "pity the poor spiders"


                        Fantastic stuff, and exemplary of how at least some fear of insects is culturally driven.

                        (Just a note: the lack of punctuation or capital letters is due to Archy, the narrator, being a cockroach. He can only dive on one typewriter key at a time.)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Not only do I have spiders in my house, black widows, but I'm also stuck with cockroaches and scorpions. I got stung once by a scorpion before I was hurt. Damn thing got me in the leg while I was sleeping. Woke me right up in lots of pain. It was like a bee sting times 20. I didn't go right back to sleep, that's for sure. I took some Tylenol and laid there awake knowing that it was around somewhere. Sometime later after that, after I got hurt, same room, my mom took off my shoe and a scorpion was running around on my sock. We tried pulling it off with a pair of tongs but it wouldn't come off. It took a lot of trying to get it off. It's pretty crazy the insects I get at my house. I least I don't have any snakes that I know of. I need to get my house sprayed to get rid of all the bugs. I have a bunch of black widows living outside my front door. It scares the hell out of me if one were to get in my bed and bite me overnight. I would definitely go dysreflexic and have no idea what caused it.
                          C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                          Scottsdale, AZ

                          Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Thank you so much for the video. Things are much clearer to me now... Like Cory, I have often mistaken the raised front legs of a nearby spider to be a deathmatch challenge and have reacted with foot work worthy of a Riverdance solo. I am so ashamed. Now, I know that it was actually a spidery request for a hug. A simple expression of arachnid affection. Yet another love gone unrequited. Interspecies relationships are SO HARD! *sniff

                            Seriously... loved the video.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by geege View Post
                              I have often mistaken the raised front legs of a nearby spider to be a deathmatch challenge
                              Think defensive, not offensive. Wolf spiders and jumping spiders will attempt to defend themselves against the massive, moving mountain that humans must appear to be to them. Isn't it funny how scared people can be of a creature that is smaller than their thumbnail?

                              Seriously... loved the video.
                              They really can be adorable!

                              C.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Lady spiders often eat the man spiders just after boning them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X