Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blu-ray and HDTV's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Blu-ray and HDTV's

    I'd like to buy one. A Blu-ray player that is. But I'm curious about one thing. Does a Blu-ray fill the entire screen of an HDTV? Or does it still produce the two black areas on top and below the picture?

    That would totally blow if it does.

    #2
    it fills it and the the picture is great

    Comment


      #3
      Sweet! Thanks, Druston.

      I want to test out the full potential of the Panasonic 1080p plasma.

      I'm thinking of staying with the Panasonic brand and going with the DMP-BD55.

      Are all new release movies available in Blu-ray discs?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
        Sweet! Thanks, Druston.

        I want to test out the full potential of the Panasonic 1080p plasma.

        I'm thinking of staying with the Panasonic brand and going with the DMP-BD55.

        Are all new release movies available in Blu-ray discs?
        If you want the best and most convenient blu-ray player, go with a playstation 3. Even if you don't play games, the onboard memory and wireless updates make it the best all-around player out there.

        The only real downside is that there's no power button on the remote. Because of that, I opted for a Sony bdp-s550... picked it up for $250 shipped on ebay, brand new.
        "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jbinny View Post
          If you want the best and most convenient blu-ray player, go with a playstation 3. Even if you don't play games, the onboard memory and wireless updates make it the best all-around player out there.

          The only real downside is that there's no power button on the remote. Because of that, I opted for a Sony bdp-s550... picked it up for $250 shipped on ebay, brand new.
          Yeah, that's what I've read. That the PS3 is a killer blu-ray.

          I've really thought about buying one even if just as a blu-ray player. But it would just piss me off to look at it. I've tried many times to game with my PS2 and I just don't enjoy it because my hands don't allow me to do all the cool shit. A PS3 sitting above or below my tv would just be constantly reminding me of that. Then my fist would throttle someones ass. Just anyone's ass that happened to get in the way too.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
            Yeah, that's what I've read. That the PS3 is a killer blu-ray.

            I've really thought about buying one even if just as a blu-ray player. But it would just piss me off to look at it. I've tried many times to game with my PS2 and I just don't enjoy it because my hands don't allow me to do all the cool shit. A PS3 sitting above or below my tv would just be constantly reminding me of that. Then my fist would throttle someones ass. Just anyone's ass that happened to get in the way too.
            LOL, i know what you mean. actually, i'm really considering one of those quad controllers, but i'm not too fond of sip'n'puff stuff.
            "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

            Comment


              #7
              About lines top/bottom:

              You can/will still get those lines on some movies. It all depends on what aspect they originally filmed at. The 16:9 aspect of our tv's do not "line up" with all movie aspects(there are 3 different ones) so sometimes the movie is "wider" than our screen and it has to "shrink" a little to show all left/right parts, resulting in some black bars at top and bottom. You can "zoom in" to fill the screen, but then you drop off the side stuff.

              You will never see any on the sides of course, unless you view something that was originally filmed in 4:3, like old tv shows.

              I have the Sony S350, I bought it mainly because it handles all the latest audio codecs(as does the 550) so I get the best out of my surround system, that also handles the new codecs. The Panasonic may too, don't know.

              I believe all new movies come out in both std dvd and BR.
              Last edited by McDuff; 15 Feb 2009, 12:30 PM.
              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

              Comment


                #8
                The aspect ratio has nothing to do with format such as video, DVD, or Blu-ray. It varies depending on the one source itself and not the format. Hence, you've often had choices to buy full screen or wide screen DVDs. It works the same with Blu-ray. The Blu-ray disc itself has nothing to do with aspect ratio on a universal level and all to do with the particular disc. You can often bypass these defaults on the disc by changing the settings on your screen.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Totally, Dudes. Thanks for the info.

                  I think I'll go with a Panasonic Blu-ray player. Too bad the lines aren't a thing of the past completely. But oh wellzies.

                  I can't wait to unleash some 1080p on my screen. High-Def satalite is good but I read not quite 1080p good.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                    I'd like to buy one. A Blu-ray player that is. But I'm curious about one thing. Does a Blu-ray fill the entire screen of an HDTV? Or does it still produce the two black areas on top and below the picture?

                    That would totally blow if it does.
                    it fills it..if i were you i'd look online make sure you get 1080p for the max resolution..not all hdtvs are full HD...also i would definitely look into high quality sound equipment..i run a yamaha reciever with the Klipsch quintet III series and the 10" subwoofer..its awesome

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                      Totally, Dudes. Thanks for the info.

                      I think I'll go with a Panasonic Blu-ray player. Too bad the lines aren't a thing of the past completely. But oh wellzies.

                      I can't wait to unleash some 1080p on my screen. High-Def satalite is good but I read not quite 1080p good.
                      I've been told that the PS3 presently plays Blu-ray discs faster than standard Blu-ray players because the PS3 requires the capability to play video games on Blu-ray discs.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by nbtoppers2 View Post
                        it fills it..if i were you i'd look online make sure you get 1080p for the max resolution..not all hdtvs are full HD...also i would definitely look into high quality sound equipment..i run a yamaha reciever with the Klipsch quintet III series and the 10" subwoofer..its awesome
                        Yeah, I was thinking of going the easy route and buying a THX certified theater package. But I'll definitely do my research on it all. Thanks!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
                          I've been told that the PS3 presently plays Blu-ray discs faster than standard Blu-ray players because the PS3 requires the capability to play video games on Blu-ray discs.
                          If I ever decide to try gaming again, mabey I'll get the PS3 for my room. Then I'll have a bonus Blu-ray player. And if the gaming doesn't go as wanted then I still have a reason to justify buying a PS3.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                            If I ever decide to try gaming again, mabey I'll get the PS3 for my room. Then I'll have a bonus Blu-ray player. And if the gaming doesn't go as wanted then I still have a reason to justify buying a PS3.
                            Hah, that's what I'm thinking too. I use Netflix and now I get all my movies in BR, and only have normal dvd in bedroom. I have a 42" HDtv back there but now can't watch my rented movies.

                            Since I spend an inordinate amount of time in bed, if I got the PS3, then I get to watch movies again, and maybe play games.
                            "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X