Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CERN computer grid to analyze particle experiment results

CERN computer grid links 7,000 scientists

GENEVA (Reuters) - CERN, the world's biggest particle physics laboratory and creator of the Worldwide Web, on Friday unveiled a new computer network allowing thousands of scientists around the world to crunch data on its huge experiments.

Some 7,000 scientists in 33 countries are now linked through the computing network at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, to analyze data from its particle-smashing test probing the nature of matter that began last month.

[...]
    i, for one, can't wait to see what they come up with after chewing on this data for a while!

(source)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Originally posted by Daleb
    i, for one, can't wait to see what they come up with after chewing on this data for a while!

(source)
    If you don’t like watching science put a potato in the ground and watch it grow.

Comment

Beside, its old, like the genome projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Daleb

(source)
        Me too. I don't think this experiment is getting anywhere near
        as much attention as it deserves. They could've potentially
        found the only Standard Model particle that has not yet been
        observed. More importantly, (if that's possible) this will explain
        why everything has mass and why everything is exists.

Comment

I think CERN and NASA, should be funded much more.

Comment

NASA wastes a lot of money, being solely at the whim of politicians. Europe simply doesn't have the infrastructure to be able to run CERN year around.

I too can't wait until next year, when we get the first experimental results from CERN.
            Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Comment

Working...
            X