X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the world hysteria

End of the world hysteria.....
    http://www.thetechherald.com/article...-death-threats

Fear and paranoia is building to a potentially dangerous level as European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN) scientists seeking answers related to the universe’s origins prepare to officially flip the switch on their Large Hadron Collider (LHC) this coming Wednesday.

keep it on low setting for awhile.
    oh well

Comment

Originally posted by adi chicago
      End of the world hysteria.....
      http://www.thetechherald.com/article...-death-threats

Fear and paranoia is building to a potentially dangerous level as European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN) scientists seeking answers related to the universe’s origins prepare to officially flip the switch on their Large Hadron Collider (LHC) this coming Wednesday.
      Adi,

Thanks for posting this. It would not have occurred to me that people could be so ignorant and paranoid as to think that this device would lead to some kind of cataclysmic event that could lead to the end of the world. I am simply astonished.

Yes, it is true that the device is the highest energy particle accelerator ever built and one should probably not put one's hand in the beam. On the other hand, the absolute amounts of energy involved (7 TEV) are for such brief periods that it is not that much.

There is no conceivable danger from the device as described in the following document: http://www.aps.org/units/dpf/governa..._statement.pdf . I think that people are reading too many comic books.

Many comic books make up bogus science for the purpose of dramatizing and justifying the creation of their heroes. For example, spiderman arose from the bite of some radioactive spiders. Please...

Wise.

Comment

Ha ha sir ....Spiderman arose from the bite of some radioactive spiders ....good one....

Comment

particle accelerators are not something unusual or very new. Anyone have/had one in front of his eyes.

Originally posted by Wise Young
          It would not have occurred to me that people could be so ignorant and paranoid as to think that this device would lead to some kind of cataclysmic event that could lead to the end of the world. I am simply astonished.
          And some ignorants are doing politics and they decide where public money goes(for example in funding wars). Why people don’t understand that research is good, and war is bad(any war). I have a long story about wars, but is not the case now.

In Europe between 200-1500 some smart ppl were burn for their proven ideas . Same thing happen today but with other tools(veto, no money for research).

Offtopic: I really can’t understand how is some US states alcohol is illegal for teens under 21 years old, but they are good for fight in war, after 18.
          Last edited by cypresss; 09-06-2008, 02:50 PM.
          This signature left intentionally blank.

Comment

The Large Hadron Collider is the largest and most complex scientific instrument ever built and the highest energy particle accelerator in the world. The accelerator is located 100 m underground and runs through both French and Swiss territory.

Year 2008 marks the culmination of 20 years of work by physicists, engineers, technicians and support staff from over 80 different countries.
            isn't the human mind briliant?

Comment

Originally posted by cypresss

Offtopic: I really can’t understand how is some US states alcohol is illegal for teens under 21 years old, but they are good for fight in war, after 18.

It's all states in the US, and it's because of federal highway funds, though it's now being discussed somewhat. For added stupid, the voting age was 21 during most of Viet Nam till finally lowered to 18. (Draft age) Don't expect logic from our two party system, it will save you brain cells.

Comment

Ha ha sir ....Spiderman arose from the bite of some radioactive spiders ....good one....

http://www.geocities.com/d_dasylva/spiderman.html

Comment

pretty cool sculpture.

Comment

This is probably the most exciting thing that could happen in my
                    lifetime. Proving the exisitence of the Higgs Field.

Comment

Buck,

I can imagine theoretical physicists getting excited over this issue but I am wondering why this is of such importance to you? For those who have not heard of the Higgs boson, wikipedia has the following introduction:

Higgs boson

The Higgs boson or BEH Mechanism, popularised as the "God Particle", is a hypothetical massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics; it is the only Standard Model particle not yet observed. Experimental observation would elucidate how otherwise massless elementary particles nevertheless manage to construct mass in matter. More specifically, the Higgs boson would explain the difference between the massless photon and the relatively massive W and Z bosons. Elementary particle masses, and the differences between electromagnetism (caused by the photon) and the weak force (caused by the W and Z bosons), are critical to many aspects of the structure of microscopic (and hence macroscopic) matter; thus, if it exists, the Higgs boson is an integral and pervasive component of the material world.

As of yet, no experiment has directly detected the existence of the Higgs boson, but this may change as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN produces results. The Higgs mechanism, which gives mass to vector bosons, was theorized in August 1964 by François Englert and Robert Brout ("boson scalaire"),[1], in October of the same year by Peter Higgs,[2] working from the ideas of Philip Anderson, and independently by G. S. Guralnik, C. R. Hagen, and T. W. B. Kibble [3] who worked out the results by the spring of 1963 [4]. The three papers written by Higgs, Brout, Englert, Guralnik, Hagen, and Kibble were each recognized as milestone papers by Physical Review Letters 50th anniversary celebration [5]. Higgs proposed that the existence of a massive scalar particle could be a test of the theory, a remark added to his Physical Review letter[6] at the suggestion of the referee.[7] Steven Weinberg and Abdus Salam were the first to apply the Higgs mechanism to the electroweak symmetry breaking. The electroweak theory predicts a neutral particle whose mass is not far from the W and Z bosons.
                      The questions that I have is why the Higgs particle is so significant, why it is so difficult to detect it, and what are the consequences if the Hadron collider is unable to detect the Higgs particle?

The Higgs particle is significant because it is the theoretical construct of what provides mass to the universe. Peter Higgs proposed in 1966 that the universe is full of a field that imbues particles with additional mass as they move through that field. Quantum mechanics requires that the mass occur in quanta and the Higgs particle is hypothesized to be the smallest quanta of mass. For example, photons passing through the field, now called a Higgs field, would acquire mass through absorption of Higgs bosuns. These Higgs bosuns supposedly fill the universe and act as a cosmic "molasses" that slows down particles, showing as as "mass". So, the Higgs theory is important because it explains mass in the universe.

Why is the Higgs bosun so difficult to detect? According to a recent article http://www.physorg.com/news139155299.html reporting the observation of Z bosuns at the Fermilab accelerator in Illinois, suggested that the Higgs bosun must have a mass greater than 170GeV/c2. A previous study in 2000 suggested that the mass of the Higgs bosun must be greater than 114GeV/c2. In order to observe the Z bosuns, the detector had to sort through 200 trillion particle collisions. To observe a larger mass, higher energy particle collisions are needed.

What are the consequences of a failure to detect the Higgs bosun? Well, it would essentially require a rewrite of the current Standard Theory, which depends on the Higgs bosun to explain how particles gain mass. Much of theoretical physics depends on the Standard Theory. Therefore, confirmation or refutation of this theory is important.

The strange thing is that there is some kind of strange movement going on that is creating widespread fear and paranoia concerning the Hadron collider. Scientists at this $10 billion facility received death threats:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-13964014.html
                      Scientists receive death threats over Large Hadron Collider

Monday, 8 September 2008

* Is our understanding of the Universe about to be transformed by the Large Hadron Collider?

The scientists behind the world's biggest ever experiment, the Large Hadron Collider, have received death threats.

Experts are attempting to recreate the forces which occurred in the immediate aftermath of the Big Bang.

The $10bn machine at CERN near Geneva will be switched on this Wednesday.

But sceptics fear it could cause the end of the world.

Professor Brian Cox of Manchester University has responded angrily to doomsayers who have predicted an Armageddon.

"Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a t***," he said.

Professor Cox added: "There's a kind of magic energy we've not been able to get to, and we know from previous experiments that's where things happen. Now for the first time, we'll be crossing that barrier."
                      I wonder what a t*** is. In any case, Cox himself is fueling speculations with the language that he is using, i.e. "...magic energy...", "Now for the first time, we'll be crossing that barrier." These kinds of energy must be occurring all the time inside the sun.

I also wonder if there is another way of proving the Higgs bosun other than by this brute force approach of colliding particles and hoping that the resultant particles show the kind of mass changes that would be consistent with a Higgs bosun. Another method would be to observe a particle gain mass as it goes through a Higgs field, as opposed to trying to break the particles down.

Wise.

Comment

Twat...*
                        Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

what you see is .....what show you lose

but pls watch this............prof Michio Kaku
                          Last edited by cypresss; 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM.

Comment

cool videos.....ovi.
                            Are you afraid of black holes guys [men]...c`mon ....
                            Last edited by adi chicago; 09-09-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

cool videos.....ovi.
                              Are you afraid of black holes guys [men]...c`mon ....
                              my point of view with that videos were: 1) a joke; 2) about the story in which US stopped the construction of this accelerator(a delay in progress of science).

Hawking bets CERN mega-machine won't find 'God's Particle'
                              We know the LHC won't end the world, but in an amusing note before its big switch-on tomorrow Stephen Hawking (he of the physics brain the size of a planet) has admitted he's got a $100 bet that the machine won't succeed in one of its big goals: finding the very mysterious Higgs boson.
                              Last edited by cypresss; 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X