Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Turbine in High Wind Conditions

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-33749.html

It´s in German, but the visual says it all. Ooops!
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Nice video. I had been wondering recently how well wind turbines would stand up to hurricanes and what kind of insurance they'd need.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

I would've thought that they could adjust the pitch of the blades according to wind speed, to maintain a constant rotation.
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
      Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Comment

Wow! When the camera pulls back you can see a van parked at the base of the turbine when it comes apart. Then you can appreciate the scale of the event. I wonder how far the blades flew? How fast were the tips of the blades moving right before it came apart? Looked like they were moving hundreds of miles an hour.

Comment

Nice... Variable pitch would be a good idea. They have speed brakes of sorts, but it looked like the bade buckled in and shmucked the support.

Comment

The announcer said in the video that this was the second wind turbine failure this year in Denmark. This turbine was 10 years old. It said the failure is related to negligent maintenance and the cause is under investigation. As you can see, Mr. Murphy had a field day. That van owner had a hell of a lot of luck. There were no casualties.
            Last edited by Mike C; 31 Jul 2008, 4:51 PM.
            "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

I know that isn't a recent video, I don't know how old it is (several months at the very least).

That one showed a maintenance mistake, the crew had disabled a brake on the blades, as well as disabling the ability for the nacelle to turn away from oncoming wind.

The design on modern windmills will not allow this to happen. The blades are variably pitched, the nacelles turn, and there is a braking system. It is supposed to be mechanically limited in such a way as to prevent this from happening.
              Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Comment

The initial capital investment for a wind turbine is minimal compared to a 20 year service life of power generation. Most wind turbines can last up to 30-50 years with proper operating and service schedules. With the price of electricity going through the roof I am wondering if I can put one in my back yard. Who cares about HUGGING A TREE, I WANT A FORREST OF MONEY MAKERS!

Comment

This will be better; http://www.statoilhydro.com/en/NewsA...fullscale.aspx

A video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0oN5G3WVf0
                  Last edited by Leif; 1 Aug 2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I watched a clipm on the TeeVee that showed a new blade design, based on the Blue whale fin, that allows the turbine to still perform extremely well at very low winds.

I've always wondered if you could make the blades from solar panels, thereby doubling the usefulness.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                      I watched a clipm on the TeeVee that showed a new blade design, based on the Blue whale fin, that allows the turbine to still perform extremely well at very low winds.
                      Good thinking, and like often, nature holds many good secrets, the same with propeller studies I guess.
                      Originally posted by Patonb
                      I've always wondered if you could make the blades from solar panels, thereby doubling the usefulness.
                      No problem Patonb, one just has to move the sun to where the winds are coming.

Comment

Hubby's going to school to become a wind turbine tech (an exploding industry in my area). The modern wind turbine has many sensors to protect against failure. The turbines will turn (furlow) out of the wind when ever the wind goes above a certain speed (I think it's about 25 or 30mph) to protect them.

Comment

Working...
                        X