X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd Marine Fauna of Norway

http://www.seawater.no/fauna/Nesledy...s/DSC01568.jpg
    http://www.seawater.no/fauna/index.htm

This is a great picture of a 12-legged creature found in Norway. It is very unusual to find creatures with 12 legs (a dodecapod).

P.S. I am writing for permission to display the image here.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-11-2008, 12:15 AM.

Great site and pics, Wise.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Downright stunning! -- thanks for the link

Comment

Even Stranger

Last edited by Foolish Old; 07-07-2008, 09:43 AM.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

I just received permission to post the image. It is quite amazing... the first dodecapod that I have seen.

Wise.

Comment

What is this Dodecapod Called?

Wise- Do we have a basic name for this Norwegian dodecapod image you have shown us? Common name? Genus and species? Thanks much!

Comment

never saw a creature like that. I would like to know what biologists opinion on this creature is.
              is it deep water?
              I think yes. it has no eyes or even light sensing organs. and it regenerates its legs, and I think maybe propels itself with water jets, or it would only be a bottom dweller. it may have teeth underneeth like a starfish rather than absorbing like a jellyfish. im wondering if it is very tiny. I think yes, because deep water creatures except squid would implode with the pressure unless they stay a small size. I think it is a scavanger rather than a hunter. that maybe it detects amonia from decomposition to find its food.

Comment

http://www.seawater.no/fauna/Nesledyr/kronemanet.htm

I guess it is less weird than perhaps we thought. It is just a Helmet jellyfish caught with its tentacles ominously arranged to look very spider-like. (They are trying to lose the "fish" moniker these days, so just call it a "jelly.")

It is the Scyphozoan "Periphylla periphylla." However, it is misclassified on the Norwegian site. Periphylla is in the Order Coronatae, not "Semaeostomaeida."

Hope that helps.

Comment

It's beautiful & chilling all at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by dodecapodophile View Post
                    http://www.seawater.no/fauna/Nesledyr/kronemanet.htm

I guess it is less weird than perhaps we thought. It is just a Helmet jellyfish caught with its tentacles ominously arranged to look very spider-like. (They are trying to lose the "fish" moniker these days, so just call it a "jelly.")

It is the Scyphozoan "Periphylla periphylla." However, it is misclassified on the Norwegian site. Periphylla is in the Order Coronatae, not "Semaeostomaeida."

Hope that helps.
                    Thanks for finding this out. I wasn't able to figure it what genus and species it was. Wise.

Comment

it's beautiful. if i'm not mistaken, this would be under the umbrella of cryptozoology?
                      mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
                      type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
                      aspergers & friends
                      survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Comment

Working...
                      X