Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever tried to contact the dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you honour them as separate entities or as intrinsic manifestations of emotions/drives/perceptions? I'm just curious about your perspective. I live in a house that's from the 17th century and on occasion I have had similar paranormal experiences.The only proof that I have is that the voices that I have heard were also heard by various other people at the same time and at different times. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.

That about sums up -- good quote. "An open mind and a willingness to accept information from alternative sources is never a bad thing."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19 View Post

That about sums up -- good quote. "An open mind and a willingness to accept information from alternative sources is never a bad thing."
      Except, of course, when the entity in question is like the one in S. King's story, "Sometimes They Come Back".
      "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
      J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing View Post
        Um... no. Smells are not something we process via touch. Nor are sights or sounds.

i have to disagree. smells, sight and sound are all very tangible. we wouldn't feel them if not for molecular touch. we have physical sensors to all these things. smell via the sensory cells of nasal cavities in humans (fish have much greater olfactory touch), sight via the touch of light (molecules) on the retina and sound being pulses of air (molecules) hitting the eardrum. these are very tangible, demonstrable and replicable.

what is intangible are dreams. i have had them. i have even predicted things as young as 8. my best friend from then can back that up. including my family tragedies. i have made a concerted effort to block these. i don't want to know.
        Last edited by cass; 27 Feb 2009, 7:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing View Post
          How do you know that you saw or heard something that wasn't real? Were your experiences shown to be false or is it that you had no proof of the unusual and so concluded that they must be unreal?

C.
          To me, it's akin to being afraid of the dark. There is no rational reason for being afraid of the dark, but people, even myself, have been afraid of the dark for various reasons that are completely psychological.

But maybe there is more to be perceived, for example:

Not too long ago, my cousin Holli and I were discussing different things and out of the blue she told me she always felt a dark presence in the upstairs hallway in the two-story I lived prior to Katrina. What seemed odd to me was that as a child, I was also scared to go upstairs at times because my parent's room in darkness was always behind me as I walked to my room.

Does this prove my house was haunted? No, I don't think so, but I thought it was ironic we both shared similar experiences and maybe because of the set-up of the house and its ability to make you uneasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
            To me, it's akin to being afraid of the dark. There is no rational reason for being afraid of the dark, but people, even myself, have been afraid of the dark for various reasons that are completely psychological.
            There is a perfectly good reason you are afraid of the dark. Survival instincts have been embedded in us through many years of evolution. I believe that without you knowing, all of your senses become very heightened while in the dark: sight, smell, sound, touch. I even believe that goosebumps serve a purpose as "raising the hair on the back of your neck" gives you an added dimension of reception- a change in the direction of a slight draft picked up by your raised hairs may trigger the response that a predator is nearby.

When you are in the dark, you mentally process sounds and sights very differently than during the day. This is/was to keep you alive. It should be of no surprise to any of us that what you interpret as "being afraid of the dark" is simply equivalent to a survival mode that kicks in. Your mind automatically filters out the tiny sounds you hear during the day...but nocturnally, some of these sounds take on a whole new meaning to keep you in preparation of "what goes bump in the night".
            No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

not me, but a relative, and my mother. never never open up a door to the other side. not got to invite spirits. you may get the one you want, but others you don't want to know get past. no good.

I do believe someone no longer here may have contacted me though.

Comment

I am just catching up on this thread and there are a few comments that I take issue with.
                Quote Tiger:
                Smells are not something we process via touch. Nor are sights or sounds.
                Touch is processed by the brain when sodium and potassium ions move in and out of nerve cells and generate nerve impulses. Smell, sight and sound are processed in the same way, just in slightly different parts of the brain and indeed, synaesthesia is a recognised condition where parts of the brain that would normally process one sense process another. There are people who smell a sound or hear a coluor because the way different senses are processed is so similar.

You also stated that:
                "I am not certain of what comes after this life, but I do know that there is some sort of transition"

Saying that you "know" it implies it to be an incontravertible fact, and that it is not just an opinion. However, you also stated that:
                "
                there is no reason to take a single individual's experience as "fact" and told somebody else that:
                "The comment that you are just now responding to aren't "opinion"

These statements add up to be saying "Nobody else's opinion should be taken as fact but mine should." and I find several of your posts to be self-contradictoty.

As this is the science forum it is entirely legitimate to base my case for dismissing the idea of life after death on the grounds that it is not supported by science. Many people may believe that they have experienced contact from beyond the grave but the Mark Twain quote that "Faith is believing something you know ain't so." is relevant, in my opinion.

Comment

One time a Monkey who passed over contacted me here is his MugshotClick image for larger version

Name:	661-give-me-a-kiss.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	2657175

Was scary and I had to call a zoo paranormal psychic that i saw on JerrySpringer

Comment

hey now, monkey's see no evil, an since Jerry springer is an evil bassacwards sorta fella, what you did to the poor monkey was juss inappropriate.
                    you should call capn Kirk, when you get primate probs because he loves the lil hairy ladies and even let Coco gently cup him. now that is being contacted by a primate.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin View Post
                      Except, of course, when the entity in question is like the one in S. King's story, "Sometimes They Come Back".
                      I havnt read that one. is it good?
                      and hey! I havnt seen you post in about forever.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                        I havnt read that one. is it good?
                        and hey! I havnt seen you post in about forever.
                        Um.....jody, Jukespin's post kinda of an old post.......

Comment

Sometimes I see them in dreams. I wouldn't actively try to open that door though. In dreams they never speak to me, except Mom. As always, she had a comment about my weight LOL. My bro is always fishing w/ Uncle Bob. Last time he was walking away, by a lake, and he waved goodbye. He's never visited again.

ETA-Fishing w/ Uncle Bob was always heaven. I expect that still holds true.
                          Blog:
                          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
                            Sometimes I see them in dreams. I wouldn't actively try to open that door though. In dreams they never speak to me, except Mom. As always, she had a comment about my weight LOL. My bro is always fishing w/ Uncle Bob. Last time he was walking away, by a lake, and he waved goodbye. He's never visited again.

ETA-Fishing w/ Uncle Bob was always heaven. I expect that still holds true.
                            Like √

Comment

I once released a demon wile doing a seance as a kid. Or at least I guess that we did. He was in the book before the ceremony, but was no longer listed after the ceremony. I don't recall exactly what else happened, but somehow the ceremony went awry and the candles got blown out in a room with no windows open and etc. This was witnessed by all 4 of us that participated, so the name of the demon disappearing from the book was imagined by us all if this didn't really happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X