No announcement yet.

Finally got my firearms license! *updated*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why the space at the front of the barrel? doesn't look level with the gun????
    oh well

Comment

Originally posted by kenf
      why the space at the front of the barrel? doesn't look level with the gun????
      Most large frame auto loading handguns have a slide lock that keeps the slide back to both let you know the gun has fired its last round and facilitate much faster reloading. With the gun in this configuration you need only insert a new clip and release the slide lock (bringing the slide forward and a new round from the top of the magazine to battery).
      "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
      J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Screw guns, I want a sword.
        Where do you get a sword licenses from?
        Do I even need one?

Currently I wield this one around, hacking off peoples limbs at will.

Injured:10-16-04
        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
        Blog:
        http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
        Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
        Progress:
        http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
        My drawings:
        http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

i understand about when you run out of ammo the bolt stays back. put new clip in and release the slide , pull it back to load a bullet. the barrel looks out of level with the gun. is the barrel loose , till the bolt goes forward? just wondering why it looks like that.
          oh well

Comment

Ken,
            At first I thought you talking about the slide being locked back, but the barrel does seem to angle up at the muzzle. I'm going to have to look at my guns now. Camera angle maybe?
            Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

Originally posted by kenf
              i understand about when you run out of ammo the bolt stays back. put new clip in and release the slide , pull it back to load a bullet. the barrel looks out of level with the gun. is the barrel loose , till the bolt goes forward? just wondering why it looks like that.
              Ok, but with the fresh clip in you need either release the slide lock or pull back the slide and let it ride forward to battery, not both.

Yes, the barrel isn't locked tight until the slide moves all the way forward into battery. For a decade and a half I worked on firearms and observed how this works internally. I could describe the mechanics of what happens to the barrel regarding unlocking and locking but it would take hundreds of words and probably not adequately give you the understanding. I disregarded the photo because, after seeing many hundreds of examples of the exact same thing in my own Colt Combat Commander and many other auto loaders I've owned and/or worked on, it looked quite as expected to me.
              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

the barrel is under angle only when the slide is locked back bcause of faster reloading of the bulet. lol my english is baaad
                http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

Comment

Originally posted by Ivica Rod
                  the barrel is under angle only when the slide is locked back bcause of faster reloading of the bulet. lol my english is baaad
                  No, some smaller frame auto loaders maintain a ridgid barrel and are no slower to reload for it. The barrel isn't in line with the frame/slide until at battery to confuse people like you and kenf.
                  J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

I keep my heavy S&W .45 Model #4516 in a fanny pouch now. It barely fits in there and it would take some time to retrieve it. It's also in a holster that has an extra magazine attached.

But for years I had the holster bolted under my chair. I used an 18x18 1/4 inch thick piece of plastic as a seat "sling" for most of the time. It's much better than the cloth slings... but it finally snapped into pieces after being on 3 different chairs for over 15 or so years. I was going to attach it to the cloth sling I now use and measured everything and with a soldering iron I burned the 2 holes needed to attach the holster with nuts, bolts and washers. I haven't gotten out to the hardware store yet to buy the short bolts and nuts and large thin washers. It's cool because if it's aligned just right, the gun fits right up tightly behind the tubular crossbeam of my Quickie GPV. This not only holds it tightly in place but it can't be seen from there either. I could reach under my chair, unsnap the holster snap, pull down a bit on the gun and presto... gun in hand.

I'm a T-5 (okay, T-4!) para so it may be different for someone who doesn't have complete hand function.

At least if we shoot ourselves in the foot we won't feel it.

Bob.
                    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Basically, 'tilting' barrel autos lock up to the slide when full forward and 'in battery'. To unlatch the barrel from the slide a link pulls the barrel down as the slide and barrel retract rearward when the pistol is fired. The barrel getting pulled down to disconnect from the slide results in the angle seen with the slide pulled back.

Pistols with barrels that do not tilt when the slide is retracted are known as blowback style pistols. The barrel is not 'locked' to the slide as with the other style, basically a spring keeps the gun in battery.

Examples:

Locking barrel & slide pistol

Blowback style pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Andy

Pistols with barrels that do not tilt when the slide is retracted are known as blowback style pistols. The barrel is not 'locked' to the slide as with the other style, basically a spring keeps the gun in battery.
                        Which is why the system is limited to the low to medium powered cartridges. The high to very high power auto loader cartridges must employ either the tilting/unlocking, in-battery locking or a gas lock utilization design or a combination of both as in the Desert Eagle massive and generally very gentle auto loaders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6eZx_a0zHc
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8_NCv5Yyw

Note: The 50 AE (Action Express) cartridge is so powerful that it recoils powerfully even when fired (only a few very powerful handguns are caplable of handling the massive pressures generated by this cartridge) from the heavy, gas bleeding designed Desert Eagle.
                        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Andy,

Correct. The "Browning" (John Browning) barrel-slide-locking mechanism is used worldwide by nearly everyone.

I used to carry a Glock 19 in a fanny pack, didn't like the 19, sold it, got a Glock 17, like it better, but I am not a big Glock fan. Much prefer my CZ-75.

I prefer 1911's and have a bunch, from Commander size to full size. I have an extensive collection and shoot at an indoor range a couple times a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky
                            Andy,

Correct. The "Browning" (John Browning) barrel-slide-locking mechanism is used worldwide by nearly everyone.
                            Or copied directly, lol. I have a bunch of these and it is quite amazing how the lockup workings are almost identical to the 1911 system.

I used to carry a Glock 19 in a fanny pack, didn't like the 19, sold it, got a Glock 17, like it better, but I am not a big Glock fan. Much prefer my CZ-75.

I prefer 1911's and have a bunch, from Commander size to full size. I have an extensive collection and shoot at an indoor range a couple times a month.
                            I love the looks of the 1911, and really liking the latest Colts, very pretty. But I really cant get into the 1911 operating scheme. Had a ParaOrd P14 and a Kimber, but between being clunky on one and jam-o-matic on the other, I think I'll stick with my Glock 19 for the 'actually used' gun. I'd love to run a Commander size 1911, but I cant get the 1911's to 'fit' me to a state where it would be the 'ready to use' gun. Nice guns nonetheless. Definately need to get myself to a range, havent shot in some 6 years or so, probably forgot how, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                              Or copied directly, lol. I have a bunch of these and it is quite amazing how the lockup workings are almost identical to the 1911 system.
                              Why? A revolutionary, unique auto loader lockup design that is lightyears ahead of everything that preceeded it will naturally be copied.

I'd love to run a Commander size 1911, but I cant get the 1911's to 'fit' me to a state where it would be the 'ready to use' gun. Nice guns nonetheless. Definately need to get myself to a range, havent shot in some 6 years or so, probably forgot how, lol.
                              For me the trick that made eveything jell was getting the right grip onto my Commander. I must have tried a half dozen grips before settling on a modified Hogue hard rubber grip. This style is of a medium hard consistency and different models had proven cannon-tamers for me on some other guns. I chose to use files and sandpaper to all but eliminate the fingergrove ridges on the grip as I found my fingers being forced apart to an unnatural degree by the unmodified grip ridges.

Since installing this grip with fancy allan screws the pistol fits my hand and me like a natural extension of my arm. I'm not recommending the Hogue for mass universal public extension, particularly not for a Commander if you've got a hand like mine and no inclination/aptitude for a rather extensive modification of same to get a "natural" fit. I have, however, been repeatedly pleased by the entire hard rubber line of Hogue grips for handguns in a fairly comprehensive number of cases. I was able to tame a Dan Wesson 41 Magnum with another set of Hogue hard rubbber grips - without modification in that case. I later sold the nice Dan Wesson to a tweaker pal of mine who repaid me while I was in hospital by ripping off my residence. Now I wish I'd shot him instead.
                              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Andy,

It takes practice. 10 shots in 1" at 21', the other is 5 shots in 1/2" at the same 21'. This is my custom Norinco .45

Comment

Working...
                                X