No announcement yet.

Costa Rica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And you might want to check with the CDC* about anti-malaria pills and any other vaccines you might need. I'll be in Puerto Limon on a cruise the end of March and was looking at a side trip to SJ.
    *Centers for Disease Control.

Oh, ask any of those 'gals' about trips to Italy and Tunisia. For Brazilians they go to Italy to start their hormones and faking it to make money to go to Tunisia for the operations.. Probably the same for most Central American trani's.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

My son suffered his SCI in Tamarindo and was taken to Liberia until he could be flown back to San Diego. The hospital in Liberia was pretty up to speed on medical care and especially SCI. They treated him with the necessary meth. steroids and got him stabilized until he could be moved back to U.S. Even the ambulance drivers seemed to have it together. The ambulance trip was normally a 2 hr. drive and they did it in 1 hour ( imagine a Costa Rican ambulance flying down those country roads - makes me weak just thinking about it!). The American Embassy in San Jose was very kind and helpful since our son's passport was stollen along with his cousin's. There are lots of thieves in the larger cities. The Embassy warned the other boys not to have money wired to San Jose at the telegraph office as it was a dangerous hang out for these criminals. My son loves Costa Rica. The people are especially kind and friendly, the food is good, surfing is awesome, inexpensive lodging, and overall a beautiful place. Have fun!!

Comment

While traveling outside of the USA

Pack like a boy scout. Be prepared.

Bring along some refills of your anti-biotics, cipro, bactrim and imodium just in case?

Some other important things to remember especially if you are leaving the country. Don't forget to pencil in the page on your passport "Contact incase of an emergency." Also it wouldn't hurt to write down the US Embassy's telephone number and contact people there, just as a pre-caution? You never know what will happen when you leave the country?

Other numbers to add is to the airlines just incase you loose your tickets or have to change a flight. Telephone numbers of family here and contacts in Costa Rica. Telephone numbers to your credit card companies and your card numbers incase your wallet is stolen or the clerk forgets to give your card back. Contact your credit card company(s) and tell them the dates you will be out of the country in Costa Rica. Any charges during your stay are from you so the credit card company doesn't rejects foreign charges on your account (thinking they are fraud) and you are left with the cash you have.

Bring along extra supplies. Pack your clothes and personal items in luggage you can lock. Bring along two keys, one in your wallet and one on your key chain.

Tie-wrap any loose parts on your 'chair like side-guards. If one is missing the airlines have to go search the cargo area or cargo bins for it and you are loosing time in the airport incase you have to go through customs or pick up a connecting flight.

Be aware of liquid restriction the airlines now have in place. Do you know what numbers to use to call home from Costa Rica?

This is a difficult one but bring along some tools. I have always had problems with simple tools just incase something happens. Believe it or not I did have a flat tire while I was on travel in China and had no tools.

Read the fine print on restrictions on your plane tickets or e-tickets. If you can get printed boarding passes get them even if you have to pay the $10 charge for them. It is worth it in case you arrive in late and miss your flight out because you didn't have them.

I generally go on a juice diet for 3 days before my flight and the morning of my flight a regular breakfast. If the flight is long bring some dry fruit or chocolate along with you.

Do you know where your Constitutional Rights begin and end while traveling by air?

Most important thing, relax, have fun and enjoy yourself while you are there!

titanium4motion
        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

nicotio- 560 is the area code?

24/7- Sure will!

Mombo - Everyone says the love CR

t4m- Yes that US Embassy # incase I need him.
          No, I don't know which #'s to dial to call home. 26th Amendments?

Sue- I will call CDC- good looking out! I dont got no luck!

Comment

I got my diving certification in Tamarindo, Costa Rico! Beautiful, beautiful place. I can well imagine that harrowing ambulance ride, I did the drive from San Juan and it's through the mountains on narrow roads.
            Costa Rico had very nice people who were always helpful to us. And it was clean whereever we went, even the poorer sections showed pride. Their literacy rate is higher than the US and many speak English.

Comment

mad - the country code is 506, to be used when calling from the us,like 011-506 then the #, once in cosa rica there are no area codes, too small of a country so just dial the #.
              Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

hmm

Is this right a travel agent say.

400$us for ORGANIZATION of stay to MAKE reservations of activities, hotels and tours, plus a day by day itinerary with suggestions. It DOESN'T include guides, transportation, tours and hotels.
                . A ride to the beach can cost 150$us +, depending of your destination-plus fax credit card #'' not stupit.

Comment

be careful, there are more scams in CR than anywhere else i know, everyone can speak english and they get lots of practice at it with all the tourists. $150 damn, for that price you can rent a car or 4x4 for a couple of days. $400 for what?? just use the internet or just as well, the first day in town, make some calls and get free info from just about anyone, especially at your hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by nicotico
                    be careful, there are more scams in CR than anywhere else i know, everyone can speak english and they get lots of practice at it with all the tourists. $150 damn, for that price you can rent a car or 4x4 for a couple of days. $400 for what?? just use the internet or just as well, the first day in town, make some calls and get free info from just about anyone, especially at your hotel.
                    $150 for mini ramp ride to beach from escazu.

$400usd---It's to MAKE reservations of activities, hotels and tours, plus a day by day itinerary with suggestions. It DOESN'T include guides, transportation, tours and hotels. damn they coulda least said a meal.
                    Must think im a sucker.

Comment

i fly to Nicaragua next friday for a 10 week hiatus. have fun, i know i will.

Comment

Originally posted by MADPRODUCER
                        $150 for mini ramp ride to beach from escazu.

$400usd---It's to MAKE reservations of activities, hotels and tours, plus a day by day itinerary with suggestions. It DOESN'T include guides, transportation, tours and hotels. damn they coulda least said a meal.
                        Must think im a sucker.
                        Any decent hotel can make arrangements for you and normally for very little. If staying with a friend go through the American Express office in SJ for tours, etc.

And check your wheeler tools or they get grabbed by the TSA half the time.
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Ever heard

of http://www.empowermentaccess.com/tourism.htm he wants $150 epa
                          & www.culinaryadventurescostarica.com

Comment

Working...
                          X