Disability horse saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability horse saddle

Does anyone know where I can get a horse saddle made that has a high back and seat belt? I found one place on the internet but it's very expensive. If anyone knows a place, I would really appreciate it.
    Amber

I'd too love to know! Amber, where on the Internet did you find a place?

Comment

.....grayscustomsaddlery.com.....they make them, i dealt with them pre-injury for standard tack, they're good people
      Last edited by justadildo; 18 Dec 2006, 12:43 AM.

Comment

i got mine from randy byrd. from tx he is a para who teamropes.and in the 90 was a prca rodeo act. my saddle cost 2500.00. it has high back and a 12 inch band around my middle.i don/t have his web site.also micheal who purina sponsors might be able to get a saddle he is a para

Comment

You will probally have to get it customed made. Many saddles do not come with seatbelts, but if the horse spooks, you will be unable to get off quickly. Here's a link to a roping saddle:http://www.statelinetack.com/global/...N=2050384&Ne=2 It has a higher cantel compared to dressage saddle's. It also has a horn in the front, so you have some extra stablity.

Comment

i will be traveling to central america soon where i would like to have a local tack shop build me a saddle.

does anyone have any detailed photos of a saddle good for a high para with strength?

how are the legs maintained in position?

the sites above were hard to find photos on
            thanks
            Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

on my saddle my feet are strapped in.

email me vjls@aol.com with disability horse saddle i will email you my pic

Comment

It's not safe to be constrained to the saddle w/ a seatbelt b/c if a horse falls to the side or on you, you will not be able to get out of the way fast enough. If you are looking to improve your balance and seat, I would recommend riding bareback with a valuting circingle. The bareback pad is not slippery like an english saddle. The circingle can also help you find your balance without worrying about slipping or falling. Strapping your feet to the strrups is also a bad idea b/c if you fall or get bucked off, your body will be on the floor while your foot is still strapped in. I would recommend a peacock strrup. This sturrup has a quick realise band so you can get your foot out in time. If you have a lot of spasicity and you cannot use these sturrups, I suggest that you shouldn't use them at all ( I never use sturrups b/c my feet do not stay in them).

Comment

so you are saying that with the grab handle in front and a comfortable saddle that a SCI with good strength and no spasms should be able to ride at a walk. what about a trot or faster? my horse is slow anyway and the trail he could do blindfolded i bet. i guess i will just have to get on and try. i might wear my old moto helmet at first. haha
                  Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

When I was first injured back in the day; '73. An old special effects person brought out an old roping saddle, he used in the '30's and '40's westerns, for me to try. It worked fine, but it just wasn't the same and my balance was weak. I was so new to sci that being around anything to do with "special equipment" was still embarrassing to me.

The sentiment was that SCI's shouldn't ride cause we couldn't feel if our legs were being chaffed or not. I didn't want to take the chance and never rode again. Back then we were always discouraged to try something out of the ordinary; today,thankfully we are enouraged to try.

The roping saddle has a high back and sturdy pommel. So is an option.

Comment

there's also a man in hopkinsville, ky that makes specialty saddles for the disabled, i can get his name and number if you've not found someone, he has made saddles all over the world, he made the saddle for one of the famous barrel racer that was disabled many years back, he was a good friend of my dads......i at least think he hasnt retired.......

Comment

While I don't have sci, I am disabled with limited use of my legs. I started riding with a seat belt last summer and it made a huge difference in my riding, I don't have to worry about flopping around at faster speeds and if the horse spooks I stay on! It is nylon webbing with velcro releases on either side, plus the buckle in the middle is plastic and would break if I had a huge wreck. I know I am still taking a chance doing it this way, but I have taken every precaution I can and prefer to take the small risk to continue riding. I also wear a helmet, something most people I ride with don't wear, and I feel they are taking a big risk. There is risk no matter what, but it is worth it to me.

I have some stuff on my blog about adaptive saddles, see the second post. Nick Smith has since had a saddle made by Randy Bird, but the video I linked to on my blog has him explaining his homemade adaptation and how it helps him. Also on my blog has a link to a great demonstration of bridle-less riding by paraplegic Michael Richardson, who also explains his saddle and safety features.

http://backcountrycripple.blogspot.com/

I hope that helps

Sarah
                        chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Comment

Thanks for the link-I'm going to look at the blog later.

Comment

Hi, I posted before about horse riding and got loads of replies so if you search under noirin's mum you should get them.
                            What we did was get a handyman to solder on a handle onto a saddle and this worked well for a while (noirin is lead and had one person holding her just in case). Since then she has progressed to bareback with a circingle (strap around the horse with a handle) and she no longer slips/slides on horse as sheepskin iis under her not leather. She has also started to trot and we no longer worry about the vibration of the spine on the saddle.WE still hold on to her when she trots but not when walking.
                            She has a complete T1 but wears a back brace(TLSO) which offers support.
                            Her consultant actually recommended horseriding as it puts her hips in a goood position and allows her body to 'feel' a walking pattern. But whatever about that , it has helped her balance and given her another means of mobility-she can access sandunes and rough ground and loves it!
                            Enjoy!!!

Comment

I saw your post. As you probably know, the reason horses are used for PT is there gait is like a humans. I have a neice who has MS & she does this. I also have a son who has a spinal injury C 3-4. To high an injury for him to ride, I sure wish there was a way for him to.

Comment

Working...
                              X