Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American paralyzed at Pamplona bull festival

American paralyzed at Pamplona bull festival

A New York man was paralyzed below the waist while dodging young bulls with other revelers in the bullring at Spain's San Fermin Festival in Pamplona on Friday, festival organizers said.
    The 31-year-old, named by hospital authorities as Ray Ducharn, was undergoing surgery after being taken to intensive care after he was hurt while trying to escape when the animals were released in Pamplona's bullring following the famous running of the bulls through the town's streets.
    It was unclear exactly how Ducharn was injured but he did not appear to have been gored, organizers said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060707/...JknCHaXgtatAoB
    Last edited by Le Todd; 7 Jul 2006, 10:46 AM.

Poor guy! But honestly I don't get the attraction of running with the bulls down narrow streets - it's one thing for the locals to do it, but coming all the way from NYC seems a little odd.
    Personally I'd rather go to that other Spanish festival where they all chuck ripe tomatoes at each other! But then I'm a girlie, what do I know about bulls?

Comment

I think it's kind of abusive toward the bulls and stupid for the people.

Comment

Carbar, I am with you on running with/from the bulls. The article did talk about being a little drunk maybe that is the reason for choosing to do it. I would have to be passed out drunk and someone throw me on the street as the bulls ran by but then again I can be a bit of a wuss at times .
        www.cawvsports.org
        The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
        We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

I would have to be out of my mind to get in front of a half ton bull. The adrenaline rush must be what the attraction is or to be able to say one did it. I guess this guy is paying for his stupidity. The tomato throwing festival sounds fun.......unless you get a tomato seed in your eye LOL. I guess one could brag about smelling like tomatoes but wouldnt be near as entertaining as saying I outrun the bull. I just dont understand people sometimes........I would never do it.
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français
            I think it's kind of abusive toward the bulls and stupid for the people.
            So is eating beef.
            Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
              So is eating beef.
              Yes, but in this case the bulls are sitting laughing over those crazy humans and wondering why they don’t stick to throwing tomatoes at each other.

Comment

The annual "running of the fools" is how I have always seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
                  So is eating beef.
                  I support humane killing of animals for food.

Comment

1) beef is good

2) running with the bulls through narrow streets is a death wish

3) I sincerely hope this guy is being taken care of properly and hope for as much functional recovery as possible

4) I hate to say it....but what a cool paralysis story. "I was injured running with the bulls in Pamplona" sure beats the hell out of "I went swimming at 3am and dove without looking".
                    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Comment

Since he wasn't gored, I suspect he fell and a bull stepped on his back. Nothing like a half-ton of weight on your spine focused over a couple of square inches to break your back.

I understand that SCI care in Spain is pretty good, so hopefully he will good care until they can get him back to the USA. Wouldn't it be strange if he found us and then joined in this discussion!

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I actually wanted to do this before i died, but oh well...

I bet if i didn't injure myself two years ago, it would've happened anyway through dumb ambitions like the running of the bulls.

Comment

I did it in 2003 with a few friends whom I graduated high school with that year and I must say, it was an incredible rush and infinitely more satisfying than speaking poorly the "fools" who did it on a message board.

Someone said something to me before I did it that was something to the effect of "you're and idiot to put your life in jeopardy like that" and my response was, as it continues to be, the only people who criticize those who do something like this are the ones who themselves cannot hack it(physically, mentally, emotionally, whatever). I don't see that as a flaw or weakness, but there are people like myself out there who like to live a little, rather than cling to the safety harnesses of modern society.

Comment

[who like to live a little, rather than cling to the safety harnesses of modern society.[/quote]

Nothing safe about modern society. People get killed in car accidents every day. Why add to the risk by running with the bulls or bungie jumping?
                            Step up, stand up for:
                            http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

Comment

why not, driving a car or playing tennis is so pedestrian.

Comment

Working...
                              X