Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone suggest a Caribbean vacation spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone suggest a Caribbean vacation spot?

Any recomendations for a Caribbean vacation? Nice places to stay? Any beaches with compact sand? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Does this help?

http://www.here.vi/stthomas/caribbea...cessible..html
    Last edited by roshni; 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Did you have any activities in mind? I'm looking at Aruba because I want to go diving.
      Blog:
      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Getting accessible transportation is a problem in most of the Caribbean. If you can transfer to a cab, or rent a car and manage that way, there are many other things you can do and places to stay.

Here is a resource for St. Thomas from Access-able.com:

Renaissance Gold Beach Resort
        Address......Smith Bay Road Route 38
        City.........Saint Thomas
        Zipcode......00802
        Country......U.S.V.I.
        Phone........340-775-1510

The Grand Beach Resort has 290 rooms, 36 suites and is located 7 miles from downtown Charlotte Amalie. Their accessible rooms have either roll in shower or tub/shower combination, both type have grab bars. The toilet has grab bars and there is knee clearance under the sink. The doorways are wide and there is ample room to maneuver about.

The Grand Beach Resort has an on-site Restaurant, room service, coffee shop, cocktail lounge, Hair salon/barber, fax, copying, PC available, voice mail, data ports on phone, TV with remote control and Cable/satellite. There are in-room movies and complimentary in-room coffee. The guest rooms are air conditioned, there is a iron and ironing board, hairdryer, bathrobe, in-room safe and cribs are available.

Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort
        Address......6500 Estate Smith Bay
        City.........Saint Thomas
        State........USVI
        Zipcode......00802
        Country......U.S.V.I.
        Phone........340-777-7100
        Alt Phone....340-777-7200 Fax

The Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort has 300 rooms and suites. They have two rooms designated accessible, one is smoking and one is nonsmoking. Both rooms have king size beds and wide doorways. The bathrooms have tub/shower combination with grab bars and adjustable shower head. The toilet is raised and has grab bars. These rooms are located on ground level and have a pool/garden view.

This is the only all-inclusive resort on the island. They have a spa, restaurants and art deco nightclub.

Here is a tour company in St. Thomas that has an accessible island tour available (if not already all booked with the cruise ships):

http://www.accessvi.com/

They also rent beach wheelchairs and some other equipment.

You can also go to St. John for the day. Not as much that is accessible there though.

No hotels listed for Aruba. There is this for Grand Cayman:

Hyatt Regency Grand Cayman
        Address......7 Mile Beach
        City.........Georgetown
        Country......Cayman Islands
        Phone........809-949-1234
        The Hyatt has several rooms with roll-in showers and the grounds are wheelchair accessible.
        You might also look into Puerto Rico. I know a lot of people in chairs who have visited there, and the NVWG were there about 5 years ago. There is a beach there that has great access:

Sea Without Barriers - Luquillo Beach
        Address......Luquillo Beach
        City.........Luquillo
        Zipcode......08060
        Country......Puerto Rico

LUQUILLO BEACH in PUERTTO RICO, USA has constructed facilities that make it possible to drive specially provided wheelchairs right into the sea!

These facilities allow disabled persons to enjoy the pleasures of a day at the beach - including a dip in the ocean!
        A unique facility in the world. Built and maintained by the government of Puerto Rico at one of the most beautiful beaches on the island - Luquillo Beach.

You can also check out some of the disabled cruiser resources at www.cruisecritic.com as there are lots of posts there about accessible things to do on the islands (less about hotels, of course).

(KLD)
        Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-26-2006, 07:10 PM.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X