No announcement yet.

Hunting with .30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great to hear. Glad you got out there.

I was out this morning. I too should have stayed home. I woke up at 2:00am. Tried to take a chit, but no luck. Now I'm nervous cause we're supposed to be out till noon hunting. Thankfully nothing goes wrong.

My partner is late showing up. He doesn't arrive till 5:00am and we were planning to be sitting in our positions at that time. We don't get to our positions till 8:30! My buddy insists on building a new rickshaw system this morning. Since he's draggin me around I keep quiet. It took him 1 1/2 hours to build the sucker and created enough noise to run off deer two states over. It was cold today. A high of 40. I froze my butt off in spite of owning some of the best cold weather clothing available. What's more, the trail I was sitting on was more like a pedestrian path than a game trail. Three elderly people walked by followed by two mountain bikers. So I lost 5 hours sleep, froze my hiny bee only to see people in the woods, no critters. I could have slept in and gone to the mall and sat in warm comfort for all I accomplished today.

The upside of it was that I was out in the woods which to me beats sitting in the mall no matter the convenience. My poor buddy managed to haul me about a 1/2 mile in over some pretty nasty terrain, up and down hills to boot. I don't know why he insists, but I'm glad he does...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Stylin, check out some of the vehicles on this CC webpage and the linked pages..
      http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53103

Here's one of 'em, I don't know how much they are, but I've been looking for something I can take to the mountains myself, bein' a mountain man loving person. I wanna be free in the outdoors, and something like this could do the trick. I'd save ya from having your buddy pulling your around...

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

RF...thats a monster rig to go yahooin' in the woods with!! No gettn stuck with that thing . I need to figger out a way to get into the deep woods without a lot of fuss about getting stuck or navigating rough terrain. Moe,You got a cool bud to wanna haul you that far! My brother in law drops me off on an old railbed and I can wheel a good distance on it,but not the same as getting to that "spot" you want to be.

Comment

that's a pretty wild looking chair. It doesn't seem very practical for many reasons though. If the local authorities would be OK with that they should be OK with allowing the use of an ATV. The only advantage that tankchair has is it's quiet. Otherwise I would imagine it's range would be an issue. Going uphill sucks a lot of juice and I'd hate to get to my "honey hole" only to find I can't get back due to dead batteries.

It's just more practical to allow the use of ATV's. I'd imagine that tankchair would have to run near $10,000 or more, where you can pick up a good big bore used ATV for half that.

I know what you mean graybeard about getting to "that spot." It drives me nuts to be peering into the woods and not be able to get in there to investigate.

There is a guy here that runs his argo all over place. He's even gone so far as to build a steel frame and use a bomb hoist to literally winch himself into a tree with the damn thing and swing around up there.

Here's another guy's (Richard) version of backwoods transpo... http://www.nimrodsplace.com/sr2001.html He's a T12 para and swings around from the roll bars like an orangutan. He can get himself up in the seat, but I can't get anywhere near it as a T4.
          "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by stlyin moe
            Here's another guy's (Richard) version of backwoods transpo... http://www.nimrodsplace.com/sr2001.html He's a T12 para and swings around from the roll bars like an orangutan. He can get himself up in the seat, but I can't get anywhere near it as a T4.
            Stlyin moe. That was some kind of machinery!!! Actually the turret idea is not so bad. It will allow him to move more easily. Maybe you can adopt the idea to and ATV if not your buddy insist to have it installed on a rickshaw (lol). A special buddy you have, I’m happy for that and I enjoy reading this thread. Leif

Comment

Originally posted by rdf
              Stylin, check out some of the vehicles on this CC webpage and the linked pages..
              http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53103

Here's one of 'em, I don't know how much they are, but I've been looking for something I can take to the mountains myself, bein' a mountain man loving person. I wanna be free in the outdoors, and something like this could do the trick. I'd save ya from having your buddy pulling your around...
              Ive been lookin at getting an Argo for awhile now..heres there website..http://www.argoatv.com/..I was quoted around 12g's Can..

We used them camp quite abit,they were awsome other you had to keep readjusting the chain drive on it,but i believe they changed al that and have a much better system now.Mind you the machines in camp were completely brutalized day after day also..But i think there absolutely amazing,they went through anything.

Comment

Originally posted by graybeard
                I finally got in the woods Wednesday. Shoulda stayed home. It was 75 degrees, hot as could be. I was pleased to be able to handle my muzzleloader without a whole lot of movement. However, my body did tire quickly when having to stay on target for awhile. It was sweet jus to hang out in the woods for the day. I plan on going again next Wednesday,hoping the deer will be more accomodating this time.
                Did ya get back out? How'd ya do?

Comment

Hehehe......Yea,I got outta there. Was not very successful. It was hot agin,even the squirrels quit pestering me. The very next day it puored buckets,and a 40 degree temp swing. I am planning to try agin soon,not sure when. Anybody else shooting anything? I see Nevada nailed a nice 8-pointer. That was cool. Had his boy with him also!!
                  Last edited by graybeard; 25 Nov 2005, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Got back into the woods today. Very cold this a.m. But,as usual, no sighting of ANYTHING, just the complimentary circus of squirrels chasing each other all around my stand. Can definitely asscertain that I am way more susceptible to the cold. Figured I could still deal with it as before. Not. Legs started spazzing like hell. Couldnt keep'em quiet for nuthin. Put a heat pack in each sock and a "Johnny hand warmer" in each pants pocket. No doing. I tell ya, no matter how many bushytails I blasted in the early fall,it seems they restocked plus some. Those damn things drive me nuts,especially when the ground has a dusting of crunchy snow layer on it. oh well give it a go agin next week.

Comment

Hunter Dangles Upside Down for 8 Hours
                      By Associated Press
                      Sat Dec 10, 7:44 AM

MOUNT HOLLY, Ark. - A hunter suffered hypothermia and kidney damage after becoming entangled in his deer stand and dangling upside down 30 feet above the ground in sleet for 8 1/2 hours.

Raybon E. Upton was hunting by himself Wednesday when his ankle became caught on the deer stand and he slipped. He was trapped there until about midnight when rescuers called by his wife were finally able to free him.

"I had cooked a big supper and he wasn't home, then I just got this gut feeling that something wasn't right. And I went out there and found him," Tammy Upton said Friday.

Upton was conscious but trapped when his wife found him about 8:30 p.m. and call for help. A firefighter was able to secure him with a rope until a fire crew with a ladder could free him.

Upton underwent surgery on Thursday and had another scheduled Saturday and Monday, his wife said.

"He thought he was going to die there," Tammy Upton said. "He had made his peace with God and everything."
                      Be careful out there guys. I bet Mr. Upton wished he had a cell phone or a hunting buddy along with him. That must have been a real nightmare hanging upside down like that for so long. It may have killed a para or quad because of the blood pressure problems we have.
                      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Will at least ya got out there John,just a matter of fine tuning things now,right..Maybe give Gerbing's a call..Heated pant liners buddy,git in to em ..http://www.gerbing.com/divhunt/home/hunt.html..

Im plannin on being out next fall,so im gonna be lookin at a whole heated wardrobe..especially for late season moose,which i really want to get back into..

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark
                          Be careful out there guys. I bet Mr. Upton wished he had a cell phone or a hunting buddy along with him. That must have been a real nightmare hanging upside down like that for so long. It may have killed a para or quad because of the blood pressure problems we have.
                          It would have killed most of us just trying to climb up into a 30 foot treestand!
                          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye
                            It would have killed most of us just trying to climb up into a 30 foot treestand!
                            And all the grunting and cursing woulda spooked every damn deer within a 5 mile radius!
                            "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Hey Shaun,thanks. This website may be the answer. Oh yeah,trying to get into a treestand woulda done me in,thats for sure. Heck yeah Bob,all the fussing woulda clearded the woods of even the damn squirrels.

Comment

I traded mine

I traded my .270 because the doctor advised against alot of recoil. I bought a
                                7MM 08 and it is perfect. Shot a deer 3 weeks ago. No kick at all. It barely
                                kicks harder than a .243 and not as hard as a .308. The .270 was too much,
                                I have a laminectomy T2-C7, so I am not going to hose that up any more!
                                Also my gun is a Remington Model 7 laminate stock...under 6 lbs. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X