I'm going to be on ESPN...Hopefully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to be on ESPN...Hopefully

I just got e-mail confirming that ESPN is going to come up to our bike riding challenge this weekend. The event is on Saturday, but they are coming up Friday to do interviews with several of us that are going to be participating. They want before pictures of us before our accidents and since mine happened when I was 16 the majority of them are all real dorky. I have a friend who works for ESPN, but I've not been able to get in touch with him yet to see if he will be helping with the interviews. There's also another guy that lives about 30 minutes from us that my mom knows that works for them. I'm not sure when it will air or which ESPN channel it will be on, when I find out I'll let everyone know. Getting computer usage up at Snowshoe West Virginia as a little difficult since our ISP does not have a dial out number in the area. I'm sure the president of the sports organization that I work with will let me get use his.
    I am so excited what good publicity
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Aly, This is really great news!! PLease, as soon as you find out any further info, let us know. It would be cool to see if this happens. Good luck with the bike race...John

Comment

Aly

Yep, do keep us briefed....times, dates....etc.

That is just super....
      Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Comment

Originally posted by queen
        Yep, do keep us briefed....times, dates....etc.
        Yes,deffinately! How cool is this for you eh! Good luck...

Comment

Very cool Aly! If I wasn't going to a wedding next Sat. I'd make a day trip out of it & give you all some support.

Comment

Because of some timing issues my interview with ESPN didn't happen. But Dave's (the president of the challenged athletes program) and Brandi's went well. I was a little upset because it would have been nice to show there are sports out there that quads can do besides rugby. But at any rate the event went well and it is still really good publicity for the CAWV program. So far we raised $15,000, which is our biggest fund raiser to date. They started to break ground for the new building which is supposed to be finished by Nov. If it's not we are screwed because it gets cold quick up at Snowshoe. ESPN is going to film live from Snowshoe for the NORBA downhill bike race, crazy stuff even if you watch just for that. Our segment will air with that coverage on Aug 18 at 6pm.
            www.cawvsports.org
            The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
            We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Our Greenbrair Challenge segment airs tonight a 6pm on ESPN. If you get a chance please watch. I think it will be great even though I wont be in it. Ther are also pictures of the event on our web page www.cawvsports.org. I'm the one with the peach tank top in the chair.
              www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Is this going to be on "Sportscenter" on ESPN or "ESPN Hollywood" on ESPN 2?

Comment

It was on regular ESPN. I thought they did a pretty good job.
                  www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Thats bunk, I missed it, I'm on the west coast and still at work. do you think they'll re-air it.
                    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

I'm not sure if they will re-air it or not. It is in a series called 50 states in 50 days. They pick some type of sporting event from each state into a little spotlight on it. I saw the Maine one the other day, and it was about the eating competitions (eewww) that would make me so sick. They may re-air all of them at once when it's over, our segment was the 33rd one. But then again, a busy sports season is about to be here with NFL, college football (GO HOKIES), and the end of regular baseball winding down and postseason beginning. I'm sure there are other sports those are just the ones I pay attention to.
                      www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Hi Aly,,,, cool you were on ESPN,,,but I missed it. If you ever know it's going to br reaired ''post up''
                        I went to the link of the event, your group nice pics. Where is that park/name,,,,, the path for the cyclist looks really good, with the wooden bridge. It looks like it would be a great path to take a powerchair on ).
                        Nearby my house there are a few walking/rollerblading paths that meander through woods and parks, they're cool to drive on.

I saw the pic of you on a handbike,,,rrreally cool. I'm a C-4/5, no hand grip, poor trunk balance; I see you're a C-6.
                        How much hand grip do you have,,,, triceps,,,,,
                        Do you use anything to grip/hold the 'pedal' thingss,,,, and to help you to stop from falling out, like getting strapped in,,,,

Thanks Freej
                        yeaa,,,,Hokie ''D'' kicks ass,,, )

Comment

Aly,,,, when you're able can you please tell me about the handbike.

Thanks,,,
                          Freej

Comment

Freej - Sorry I forgot to post again. I have full triceps but no hand function. I think there are some guys that have partial tris that bike. I think my trunk control sucks. I have no function from about three inches below my shoulders. I think most bikes come with a waist strap I also have a chest strap sown on the back, works kind of like my chest strap I use when driving. Christopher started a good handcycling thread, it has lots of pictures of different people on it. Bike-on sells several quad type grips. I use the one that is all the way to the right on the top of this page, the C5 grips
                            www.bike-on.com/Getagrip.htm They are pretty pricey but worth it. I'm going to send my stepdad to lowe's to get the stuff to make them next time. I have to tape my wist because my hands are a little small for the small gloves and rub raw spots on my wists. Since I have started taping them I have had no problems. I thought about letting them "toughen up" on their own but I like my soft girly hands (big reason I wear gloves for my regular chair.) These grips allow you to slide the hand piece in to a cylinder and pedal and easily slide out to change gears or use your hand brake if you do not have a coaster brake.
                            www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Lets see if I can get this to work, pic of my new bike.
                              www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Working...
                              X