Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airport security check

how did it go?

Extensive. Don´t have any tools or other gadjets (such as cutical sets) in your backpack....they will be confiscated. Your chair usually will be trace tested for explosive residue. You will also be well pat-checked. You also will have to take your shoes off. The process isn´t too long.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Mike C,
      thanks!
      any problems because of the built in rods?
      i know that often one gets its mouth checked, because of fillings or a prothesis. i mean, if one can talk without a problem, and they don't look like dizzy gillespie when working his trumpet, how much explosive could be they hiding in their mouths? i guess that our rods light those detectors up like a christmas tree...

Comment

I've wondered about that too. I've got rods in my back and a baclofen pump in my abdomen, man, you just know they're gonna think I'm a bomb waiting to happen.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"
        "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

i have been thru airport security at least 6 times in the past 2 months, i will notake off my shoes, i lift myself up , let em pat me down, he metal in my body does not set off the dectotor

Comment

Titanium will not set off the alarm. Steel will. Many appliances are a combination of the two: Steel rods/Titanium screws, that kind of thing. You were probably told, at the time of the surgery, what kind of metals you had. But, you were probably not in a position to remember or care, unless you had someone else with you 24/7 (like spouse, or parent). Don't know about the pump, McDuff.
            BeeBee

Comment

titanium in any substancial quantity WILL set off the alarm. i only have a little piece in my neck and the wand picks it up.

=It's the people that care for you that hurt you the most=
              Death and taxes

Comment

Yeah BeeBee, did not know or care at the time what the rods were. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Saw the bill paid by my ins later. They BETTER be f'in titanium; $18,500 just for the hardware! I ain't the $6mil man but working on it. Wonder if I can sell them for scrap if I ever get them removed? They span T8-T12, ought to get decent money. PARTY.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"
                "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

i would be suprised if those detectors would not detect titanium. titanium knives anyone?

McDuff,
                  i was also quite suprised seeing those "pentagon" prices for the hardware. i have two rods, 11 screws and whatever assy was needed. all titanium. i was told medical grade. have no idea what's the difference, but for examle each of the titanium screws cost around $1500! (screw that) the total for the hardware was ~$30k!
                  once i get them removed, i will assemble them and frame them. modern art. maybe i can sell that for more than selling it for scrap. [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Rods, or not, unless you can walk unassisted, your going to beep anyway just because of the metal in your chair or walker. If they suspect something, they will trace test you...and they are looking for molecules of explosive so if that machine goes off your going to get an unintended colon check so were clean underwear. I found that the more extensive checks were always involving international flights. Flights within the US varied at least for me. Philly was pretty hardcore, JFK standard, McClaren (Vegas) went very fast.

Comment

I had no problems at Cleveland or Jacksonville. In Cleveland they just patted me down and did the wand thing, they asked me to take off my shoes and I said "no" they said ok we can do trace test, they did that and I was on my way.

Jack

"Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock
                      "Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

Comment

I'm very impressed with the people working the pat-downs her in Minneapolis Minnesota.
                        The last time I flew was in May 2004. they asked me to go into a small room weir I removed my shoes and pat me down. I have no problem with airport security and complying to do anything they request of me. I'm not f-ing off and if it insures my safty, then let the strip search begin. It didn't happen but I would have complied if they asked that of me. Anyways, the women that conducted the pat down on me was probably the most knowledgeable person I ever meet outside the SCI hospital. She asked me stuff like the rods and hardwire in my back, if I had any indwelling catheter, and if I had on any leg or back braces on. Not only did she tell me weir she was going to pat down my back but she was super careful about touching the hypersensitive area of my back. It's like she knew everything about my injury and how to conduct her job without causing any discomfort. Not only did she ask me if she could pat-down between my legs but also asked me if I had a leg bag on and witch lag my catheter was. I told her that I don't have a bag or indwelling catheter. To me, it was very thoughtful that she was concerned not to disturber that stuff if I or anyone ales would need to use.
                        To bad their aren't people trained as well as she was at every airport.
                        A tip of the hat to the women working at the Mpls. airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C:
                          if that machine goes off your going to get an unintended colon check so were clean underwear
                          Are you serious? I feel sorry for the poor people who do manual stimulation for their bowel program?
                          Krystal

www.sciinfertilitysupport.com/phpbb
                          Krystal

Comment

Krystal,

Of course I used a wee bit o´humor there. Believe me, if the alarm bells went off after a trace testing of your chair failed, then you and your chair are going to be dissected by not only the airport security personnel, but probably by the FBI as well.

Comment

i wonder how long after handling explosives do i need to wait to pass the trace test. i wouldn't want a rectal check just because i was reloading shells the day before.

=It's the people that care for you that hurt you the most=
                              Death and taxes

Comment

Working...
                              X