How many people play wheelchair basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people play wheelchair basketball

I was wondering how many people here play wheelchair basketball.
    No, never played and don't want to
    0%
    No, never played but would like to try.
    0%
    Yes, I tried it but don't any more.
    0%
    Yes, I play occasionally.
    0%
    Yes, I play regularly.
    0%

It is a great sport. I saw a few games on the Paralympics and was really amazed by how exciting it is.

Incidentally, somebody just sent me some great links on the subject
    http://www.nwba.org/intercollegiate/index.html http://www.rehab.uiuc.edu/campuslife...s/default.html http://www.wsusa.org/ http://www.isport.com.au/

Comment

I've played recreationally before, but I just kept pissing off all the para's by slamming them in my rugby chair. I'd still play if they made it a contact sport...otherwise it's not much fun for a quad who can't shoot very well.

Comment

Wise, have you ever gone to a quad rugby game? I have seen both, and I really prefer watching QR...it started off being called "murder ball" in Canada.

The National Veterans Wheelchair Games are coming up in July in Long Beach, CA, which is a great place to see both sports (as well as many others). Spectators are admitted free to all events.

Comment

KLD, I don't know how you can watch a quad rugby game. I have seen some regular rugby games and end up wincing everytime I see them scrum. It is a spinal cord injury fest. Maybe I should try watching a quad rugby game sometime. Wise.

Comment

I agree that QR is much more exciting and adrenaline pumped. I'm biased though, because I can't throw a basketball up that high anymore, darn triceps.

Philippians 4:4-7
            Godspeed...
            freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

Wise, I agree about regular rubgy, esp. since I have had several patients with SCI due to playing it, but QR is different (although also pretty violent at times). Chairs flip, but this happens in w/c basketball too.

http://www.quadrugby.com/

http://www.quadrugby.com/1video.htm

(the video is a 90 sec. segment from the USA vs. Australia final game at the 2000 Paralympics when USA won the gold).

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 05-17-03 at 06:31 PM.]
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I humiliated myself once trying to throw a basketball up to a hoop.

No cure....no basketball.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
                ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Hey Jeff do you have to be so negative about wheelchair basketball-like as if the paras got it made. I read a few of your other posts and they seem inline with a negative attitude toward paras. Are you against able-bodied basketball also? I think Wise was informed that Rutgers is thinking about adding some wheelchair sports and he wanted to see how many were interested. I think wheelchair sports are a step in the right direction. Please don't be negative about it. If you want to vent your anger a good place would be directing it at Bush's stand on stem cells-not wheelchair sports. If anything wheelchair sports would direct attention to your cause. There are plenty of wheelchair sports available such as quad rugby and T1 or T2 Track. I also feel if Wise put this poll up to see how much interest there is in wheelchair sports he could have not limited it to just wheelchair basketball, but rather all wheelchair sports, as I understand it would be difficult for some to play. As it now stands I understand some of the negative voting. I challenge the Great Wise Young to help get the program going, and then just like Bush taking pictures on the aircraft carrier after his hook landing, Wise could be photographed at the opening ceremony of wheelchair sports being added to Rutgers.

Comment

I used to go to wc basketball games all the time. I went to the local weekly practice games for about a year. The lack of trunk control kinda prevented me from participating but it is exciting to watch. What's funny are the mixed ab/wc games. It's pure hilarilty to see the perplexed looks on the ab players as they get stumped by the wc players. Most of them think a victory over a bunch of crips will be a walk in the park. Not so.

Quad rugby is horrendus to watch. Those guys must sustain major bruises, gashes scrapes etc. I care a little too much about my legs to deliberately put them in harms way but I understand that it's a good way for previously athletic guys to get a rush.

What I am interested in is table tennis. I think that would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by seneca:

Quad rugby is horrendus to watch. Those guys must sustain major bruises, gashes scrapes etc. I care a little too much about my legs to deliberately put them in harms way but I understand that it's a good way for previously athletic guys to get a rush.
                      It's not that bad...I use to get alot of scrapes/cuts on my wrists and fingers till I started wearing full finger gloves and taping up my wrists. Your feet/legs are pretty well protected and sit behind the front bumper. You really only make contact with each others chairs, any bodily contact is a foul. So the only thing that really takes a beating is your chair.

Comment

Well, BigBob, I'm flattered that you find my experience trying to throw a basketball such a big influence in the world. Obviously this was a poll for paras. Next time I'll try to keep my quadriplegic perspective where it belongs. Sorry to have offended you.

Comment

Jeff I did not do the original post. Wise did. And it should not have been a poll on wheelchair basketball, but on all wheelchair sports, including sports that would include paras and quads. He also could have added an answer that would have read-I can't play but I would support it. In a way, I can understand that the choices he gave, you would have to vote negatively. I don't see the totem pole you refer to. I think wheelchair sports are a good idea. Because you are a quad, would you like to make it tough for paras? My son is a para that is paralyzed from above his waist down to his toes. He also has some other, unmentioned deficits, that to him regaining, would be even more important then being able to walk again. You are not the only one whose life has been compromised by spinal cord injury or disease. He was stricken with transverse myelitis at the age of 15. As a moderator, would you be happy if your negative attitude prevented Rutgers from having adaptive sports? Are you also against AB sports? If you read the mission statement from The University of Arizona, you would see that they not only offer sports to people in wheelchairs, but to people that are blind. I think it is noble, and I object to your comments. It would be a great deed to add adaptive sports to Rutgers.

Comment

bigbob,

Although this is a sports forum, I did not see any postings concerning wheelchair basketball and I was hoping to generate some interest. In my experience to date, I think that wheelchair basketball is very exciting.

Actually, I think that poll results are quite positive. If the trend shown in this poll continues, I am actually very impressed. It suggests that over half of the people in the community are interested in wheelchair basketball, have tried or want to try it. I think that about 70% of the registered members have spinal cord injury and about half of the people are paraplegic. If you were to ask the general able-bodied population whether or not they play basketball, I think that you would find a smaller percentage who play or want to play.

I hope that Rutgers indeed will give wheelchair basketball (and other adaptive sports) a chance to flourish. I suppose that much depends on how many participants there are and whether they have enough to field a team and to warrant to investment. I have a good friend who plays wheelchair basketball and loves it. His parents tell me that there are several really good teams and clubs in New Jersey that are very active and would be happy to provide all the contact information for your son or for anybody.

Wise.

Comment

Bigbob - Honestly, I object to you objecting to my comments.

I'm not at all negative about wheelchair sports in general or wheelchair basketball in particular. My first experience on a basketball court post injury was as a new quad who had no idea whether or not he could dribble or shoot a basket or not. Well, I certainly found out.

So you feel my comment is jeapordizing wheelchair sports at Rutgers? I can guarantee you it is not.

I agree the poll should have had an option to the effect that "I don't have enough function to play wheelchair basketball." In that case I know I would have simply voted and spared Bigbob from having to read my comment. I think it was because the poll was addressed to the "people here," and because it had such a variety of responses that I studied them for so long. But when none of them applied maybe that is why I felt compelled to share my negative experience.

I'm glad that wheelchair sports are so important to you. But I think you need to choose your battles a little more wisely. You seem to think that I am combatting wheelchair sports or something. Or that I'm so wrapped up in my own inability to play a sport that I would carelessly and callously deny that enjoyment to others.

This is a CareCure Community poll. Half of the people reading this poll are quads or quad family/friends. My experience with basketball will resonate with them very much.

And I doubt that the experience of one quad without the function to play is going to affect anyone's decision to have wheelchair sports at Rutgers. But yes....I did clutter the poll with my negative experience. Sometimes I'm really bad.

[This message was edited by Jeff on 05-26-03 at 12:51 AM.]

Comment

Working...
                              X