Splitting wood - safely!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting wood - safely!

We have a solo stove fire pit on our deck and much of the wood is too big to burn efficiently. I’ve been considering getting hubby a kindling kracker because it seems to be relatively safe and easy to use once properly secured. I would greatly appreciate opinions! Thinking of this for Christmas….but may not wait here in SW PA…

looks like you have to split the wood to get it in there. there are a lot better ways

Comment

I’m trying to figure out a better way for a 66-YO paraplegic….any ideas?

Comment

I'd go with a powered one. Is there electrical available or would you need to go for a much more expensive gas powered one?

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Electrical isn’t an issue - are you talking about a log splitter - like a big one?

Comment

This one comes highly rated:

https://www.amazon.com/BILT-HARD-Hyd..._t1_B099BCVFP9

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you! I just may pick this up way early…😊

Comment

I would suggest looking for one that allows vertical splitting/operation. That way the logs do not need to be lifted up. I will try and link to an example. It is gas, but shows the vertical position. Again, this is just an example, I do not know it there is an electrical model that does vertical.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4087_200674087
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Vertical is a nice feature but someone still has to pick up the wood at some point right?

Comment

Right. And the first one you showed is manual...you have to hit the log with an ax or heavy mallet to split the wood. Here are a few more options, but you can spend well over $1000 for some of these.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...3f&action=view

(KLD)

Comment

I’m thinking the first one you suggested is better than my original thought - and more in our price range!

Comment

if you are going to spend that kind of money, look at a pellet stove. when i lived in CO i got one and would never touch anything else after that.

Comment

We have a solo stove fire pit on our deck and a lot of trees on our property. Some already down, some need to come down. Want to use the wood…pellet stoves are cool though…

Comment

Originally posted by Nickib View Post
                            Thanks for the suggestion. Vertical is a nice feature but someone still has to pick up the wood at some point right?
                            It may be possible to roll the wood to the splitter, split it, and then the pieces are a lot smaller. It depends on what size the logs are also. Anything over 12 inches in diameter (approximate) is going to a lot of work for a 66yo para to pick up. There are a lot of factors, but they make vertical splitters for a reason.
                            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

KLD,

I have seen videos of vertical splitting, and have run the hydraulics on a lot of horizontal splitting. I do not see how it would be easier for a para to LIFT a log 18 +/- inches up on a horizontal splitter vs sliding, pushing a log to the base of a vertical splitter. A lot depends on the size of the logs, and the 66 yo, but all I can see is the lifting of logs up 18 inches is going to get really old, really fast.

Comment

Working...
                            X