Which grill do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which grill do you like?

There are lots of good grills out there. But most of them are too tall to be used easily in a wheelchair. The Kamado Joe Jr and Green Mountain Davey Crockett pellet grills are both short and easy to access from a wheelchair. But they are also small. What do you use?

I use a "normal" Weber grill. It comes up to about my sternum. A little high, for grease splatter, for sure. But, it's the same as my stove top, so not so different, or hard to use.

The bases the grills sit on might be modifiable to lower the cooking surface, if you find one you really like. The grill top is typically just bolted to it. Or built into a small brick enclosure (my neighbor's is like that.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

The thing that's different about an outdoor grill vs an indoor stovetop is degree of heat, smoke, and smell. It can be downright dangerous having your face that close. But even if you manage the safety issues, you still end up smelling like BBQ the whole night (can't really get the smell out of your hair without a shower). The picture below shows the Kamado Joe Jr ceramic charcoal grill next to a person for perspective of how low to the ground it is. Overall height is 27" and cooking grate height is 17". This enables keeping your face at a safe distance. It's priced at $400. Another top contender for both accessibility and quality is the Rec Teq Bullseye stainless steel pellet grill (model # B380) with overall height of 36" and cooking grate height of 28". An added benefit is that it can reach up to ~750 degrees F (most pellet grills top out at 500 degrees F). Usually, we have to accept compromises in exchange for accessibility. But in this case, we get this bonus feature with the Bullseye. This one is also priced at $400.

Two others worth mentioning are Oklahoma Joe Rambler and Lynx Sedona priced at $200 and $3,200, respectively. The Rambler has an overall height of 22" and cooking grate height of 12" (maybe too low). Sedona has an overall height of 48" and cooking grate height of 32". The Rambler seems strong and a good option for travel. The Sedona is powered by gas whereas and I prefer wood.

For me, it comes down to Rec Teq or Kamado Joe for a good mix of features, build quality, cook quality, and price. I'd still like to hear about other options if anyone knows of any good ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamado-Joe-Jr-2-768x1013 (1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	2919106

Name:	SSbullseyeSupport.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2919109

Name:	81+7bg1KheL._AC_SL1500_.jpg