Blue Lagoon, Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

I will be traveling to Iceland and Switzerland in Switzerland. While in Iceland I am considering a visit to the Blue Lagoon. Has anyone been? Do I need to be concerned about possible burns?

Never been to Iceland so not able to help. If you travel by train in Switzerland using a power chair it would be great to hear how it goes! Have a great trip!
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Comment

Do you mean burns from the water temperature? If so...

I went to Iceland in 2017 and although I did not visit the Blue Lagoon, we did hit Laugarvatn Fontana, one of the other easier to get to hot springs (or possibly geothermal baths - i forget which one it was, tbh). There were different areas with water of varying temperatures. Maybe 1 corner of 1 of the "pools" felt considerably hotter than your average hot tub (104 degrees, iirc?)... definitely not anything hot enough to burn skin though... not my skin anyway. Blue Lagoon may very well be different, but i'd imagine it's all labeled clearly. I've been to several other hot springs around the US that *did* feel quite a bit hotter - for me, it is much more a matter of making sure I get out (or sit on the edge) before I get over-heated than worrying about burning, but obviously your skin's durability and your sensation may vary greatly from mine. If you have any sort of issues with temperature regulation, DEFINITELY don't let yourself get overheated - it's ruined a good portion of more than 1 or 2 outings for me in the past.

Have a blast - it is beyond majestical!!
      Last edited by daveh0; 24 May 2022, 10:34 PM.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	209.8 KB ID:	2920760 Been to the Blue Lagoon, about 9-10 miles south of Rajkovic International airport. There are regular shuttles and back to/from the Blue Lagoon. Water temps are about 102 plus or minus 1 degree or two. The lagoon is quite large, about 1/2 acre. And, water depts are pretty constant at about 3 1/2 foot deep with smooth bottom, walk/wade up to a bar, and nice restaurant after the dip into the lagoon. There also is a section where you can rub white/gray volcanic ash mud on your face to exfoliate the skin. Water is replaced from hydro thermals about every 40 hours or so. We went in November and around sunset. It snowed a bit when a cloud would pass over, then the stars would come out after the cloud passed. They have shower rooms for male and females, plus lockers to store clothing. Bathrobe and slippers provided. Wife and I are not SCIs. Would call ahead of time to find out about wheelchair accessibility.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4861.JPG Views:	0 Size:	417.2 KB ID:	2920761
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 6 Shooter; 8 Jul 2022, 3:13 PM.

Comment

I was in Iceland in the early 2000's. We went to the Blue Lagoon and I thought it was great, easy enough to access and no unexpected/out of the ordinary difficulties, but then I usually assume there will be things that make anywhere unknown less than straightforward to use. It was a long time ago so my memories are not clear but I do not remember any issues without simple solutions. I am a pretty independent T10 and I was one of two SCI wheelchair users there on a trip with several AB friends. We were there in mid summer and it was a relaxing place to unwind after some time spent testing adaptive kit for sea kayaking.

Comment

Check water temps on your skin before getting in. Below LOI, possibility of easier to burn and definitely if injury harder to heal. CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I went to the Blue Lagoon in 2001 before my accident. Overall the water is hot but tepid enough that you won’t need to worry, though I do recall coming across hotspots in the lagoon that were too hot for me to tolerate at the time. They were few and far between.
              C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Working...
              X