Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSA Pre Check

Hi All! Quick question for those of you who use TSA Pre Check:

Do you still get pat down every time? The only thing that would make it worth it to me is if I didn't have to be constantly getting pat-down.

I think its a waste of $70...pat down takes a max of 3-5 min...and its minimal impact if you know what you are doing you guide the TSA agent on how to inspect you and your chair.

Comment

I'll be honest that I haven't flown since Feb 2020, but prior to then I flew with TSA Pre-check all the time. They should not be conducting a full pat down unless guidance has changed over the past year and a half. They should only swipe your hands to check for explosive residue, then swipe your chair as well as conduct a visual inspection. As long as neither of the swipe tests come back positive, you should be good to go. If either of those test positive, then you'll be subject to a full pat down and a more thorough look at your luggage.

Don't be afraid to tell the TSA agent that the standard for pre-check is just the hand swipe. Often the people who they call over are just whoever is available and they likely don't have regular experience with wheelchairs users with TSA pre-check.

I'll warn you after learning the hard way several times that it is best to thoroughly wash your hands before going through if you use a manual chair. I used to test positive fairly regularly. After figuring out what I was testing positive for, I looked into what it is present in and found that I had apparently rolled through fertilizer, which had transferred to my hands through pushing, and then makes it appear I'd been handling ANFO or something like that. Now I make sure to wash all upholstery of the chair right before I leave and wash my hands before proceeding to security.

I don't know which airports you fly through often, but it has been really rare that the TSA has required a full pat down for TSA pre-check after being reminded that hands are good enough. The best parts of pre-check for me have been shorter lines (that move quicker too), not having to remove my laptop from my bag, and not having to take my shoes off. Saves me a whole bunch of time even though I'm almost always early to the airport...

Safe travels!
      Last edited by ToastGuard; 28 Oct 2021, 1:02 PM.

Comment

• rockbybay
        rockbybay commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! This is all really helpful. Sounds like it may be worth the splurge for me.

Just say you're late for your plane. Pat down goes quick.

Comment

Originally posted by rockbybay View Post
        Hi All! Quick question for those of you who use TSA Pre Check:

Do you still get pat down every time? The only thing that would make it worth it to me is if I didn't have to be constantly getting pat-down.
        I have Global Entry, from before my injury. I have traveled a few times and found that TSA is very respectful. I have only been swiped for residue and a swipe occasionally under my seat (tilte ZRA). The benefit of not having to take anything out and going through shorter lines is well worth the $100.00 for 5 years. i intend to travel international next year, so GOES is necessary. Otherwise, get pre-check if you only fly domestic.

Comment

Working...
        X