Plane travel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plane travel help

Hi my first question is when goin on a plane how do you guys store your smart drive? Since most ticket these days only allow like one bag do they take it off and store in plain or do I have to check it or take the risk of it goin with my chair and getting lost… also probably a long shot here but has anyone ever flew with firearm ? I have read all the rules and have the proper box and everything but I have never done it so just wanted a bit of ease from someone who has. I know long shot here but I prefer not to travel alone without it or really go anywhere without it lol

You can take it as one of your carry-ons as long as it is marked "medical equipment" and not mixed in the same bag with non-medical equipment, and it doesn't county against your carry-on limit.

Because the SmartDrive has a lithium battery, special consideration needs to be given to taking it onto a plane. This is from the owner's manual (page 9):

Because the SmartDrive drive unit houses a Lithium-Ion battery, special considerations have to be taken when traveling on an airplane. The SmartDrive must be carried onto your plane and should be stored in the overhead bin. It is recommended that advanced arrangements be made with each airline operator and approval received prior to departure date. A “SmartDrive Airline Passenger Certificate” can be downloaded from the Max Mobility website [www.max-mobility] or provided upon request.
    https://livingspinal.com/content/Sma...CURRENT%29.pdf

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeramie630 View Post
      Hi my first question is when goin on a plane how do you guys store your smart drive? Since most ticket these days only allow like one bag do they take it off and store in plain or do I have to check it or take the risk of it goin with my chair and getting lost… also probably a long shot here but has anyone ever flew with firearm ? I have read all the rules and have the proper box and everything but I have never done it so just wanted a bit of ease from someone who has. I know long shot here but I prefer not to travel alone without it or really go anywhere without it lol
      if you taking things to help you in your travels DME items like shower seats, hoyer lifts, power drives etc the airlines cant charge you extra

Smart drives have been approved to fly so depending how you board I would let the ground crew and the opps agent helping you board know in advance...

Lithium-ion (Lithium Iron Phosphate / LiFePO4) batteries of type UN3481, P.I. 967 Section II (which meets the requirements of UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III subsection 38.3), may be carried-on passenger aircraft without restriction according to IATA 2.3.2.4.

Roll in to the jetway and then disconnect the smart drive turn it off and put it in a small duffel and put it under your seat

Its less likely to not be damaged under the seat vs the bin above you.

Comment

Thanks I figured it go in the bin or under seat so I guess I’ll see I mean once I get to the gate usually they don’t give me a problem with extra stuff like my seat and handle bars that I don’t leave on the chair.

Comment

Give yourself a little extra time and check in at the ticket counter and ask for a ramps opp agent and jut make him or her aware of the battery pack and that its LiFePO4 those are none burning batteries not like laptop type

Just FYI we only fly Southwest with them you pre board to the front seats but front seats you cant store anything under the seat so take 2nd row or future

Just make sure what ever airline you fly dont take that 1st row

Comment

Working...
          X