Transfers while on a catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfers while on a catheter

So lately I started using foley catheter and have limited a lot of activities because of it.
    Used to swim indoors , lift weights do pullups instead now im doing 0 activity.
    Im with a 16ch silicone catheter attached to a bag in my thigh. Anyone has a solution or advice for this life ?
    Im really scared and do every move carefully , cant take the risk of pulling my bladder out of place but also want to work out again and do physiotherapy

Lots of people swim and do sports with an indwelling urethral or SP catheter, which can easily be applied to a leg bag on the thigh. Many who do this prefer to conceal the catheter and bag by wearing board shorts as swim trunks, rather than a tiny trunk like a Speedo.

Of course you should also have a dependable method of securing your catheter to your leg or abdomen to prevent it being dislodged. This should be in place at all times, not just when you are engaging in sports or transfers. What are you using for that?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i've had an external catheter for 38 years. i believe it would be much easier to dislodge than a foley or sp. i've pulled it off on occasion but learned that by wearing the leg bag on the inside of my calf that took care of most problems. i've also found that hard plastic tubing from a hardware store works better than the surgical stuff (it kinks). a reusable leg bag works better than the plastic, because it resists kinking.

Comment

Im using a balloon indwelling catheter attached to a simple leg bag to my thigh. The leg bag has some bands to keep it attached to the leg but the catheter head moves around the pants free not secured anywhere. Ive also tried using catheter caps to be free without a leg bag but my bladder capacity is so small and cant hold urine for long.
        Is there any good brand for the leg bag or some velcro to keep the catheter in place ?

The balloon inside the bladder is what scares me i cant feel almost nothing except psychological pain which is painful too
        So i cant know how much delicate it is and how much it can be pulled.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          You should always secure the catheter (at all times) to your abdomen or thigh. This will help to prevent the catheter pistoning in/out of your urethra or stoma (a major cause of infection) and also help to prevent it from being dislodged by ripping out the catheter with balloon intact. See below for options. (KLD)

For males catheter securement can be done to the abdomen (preferred) or to the thigh. Some just use hypoallergenic tape, while others use name-brand securement devices such as the StatLock Foley or Cath Secure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	20.8 KB ID:	2910190

Click image for larger version  Name:	en3422448.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	2910193
        Attached Files
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ok seems like the catheter secure part is what is missing to keep it in one place. Will try it asap.
          Another question....how to deal with erections ? I experience difficulty when having an erection since the skin gets stuck and doest move along the cathete

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the major advantages of going with a SP indwelling catheter instead of a urethral for men.
            What is the material your catheter is made from (latex, silicone, Teflon coated, etc.)? (KLD)

I've had SP tube 29 years. I do clamp-and-drain. No bag...

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have a spinal cord injury? Your profile is incomplete. This method of bladder management is not recommended any longer; it can lead to urine reflux to the kidney, autonomic dysreflexia, and hydroneprosis. (KLD)

I use a statlock and velcro straps with long pants. with shorts I use a cover made by commfizz https://comfizz.com/products/comfisleeve-thigh. You need to change the statlock every week or two.

Comment

Working...
          X