Thailand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thailand?

Looks like heaven on earth. Anyone been? Doesn't look to accessible.

I was there in Feb. 2020. Beautiful country, friendly people, but you are right. Accessibility is very limited. Curb cuts are often there for hand-trucks and too narrow for most wheelchairs, and few public toilets even have a toilet, but instead are squat toilets. Transportation would also be a challenge. Cabs are expensive, and getting in and out of a tuk-tuk is not easy, even for AB people. Driving a rental car is also expensive, and traffic can be a nightmare in the big cities. You certainly don't see many people out in public in wheelchairs.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

You might want to check out this report from a European wheelchair user who lives in Thailand half of the year:

https://www.wheelchairtraveling.com/...r-wheelchairs/

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you, SCI-Nurse. Renting one of those luxury villas on Koh Samui would be a bucket list trip but getting there seems impossible. (Almost ;-)

Comment

I spent time in Thailand several times prior to my injury, mostly in Chiang Mai and in the coastal/island regions around Krabi. There's nowhere on Earth I'd rather be able to visit now, but reaching back through my memories it sure doesn't seem like there was a whole lot of accessibility anywhere. It would be tough at minimum. I've never been to Phuket, but given its popularity with westerners it might be an exception.
          C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Working...
          X