Public toilet transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public toilet transfers

With progressive MS, I had just started slide transferring before the pandemic hit. I was comfortable getting into our car with a long slick board between my scooter and car seat as we left to go somewhere. On the way back, I kinda tipped myself forward and up from my manual chair and tumbled into the car. No way that’s going to work anymore. In our house, I’m very comfortable doing non board lateral transfers between my scooter and whatever, tho my shoulder muscles are frequently mildly sore. Several things I’d appreciate any tips for: In order to participate in life post pandemic, I’ve obviously got to get comfortable transferring between manual chair and everything. The other HUGE thing regardless of my level of ability remains peeing, peeing, peeing. I’ve got my house suited to my needs so dread going anywhere but certainly want to. How do you deal w peeing at peoples houses and public places? The stress of the “peemergency “, the bathroom itself, the toilet transfer? And even for my little at home transfers, shd I be making myself use a short board instead of the direct sliding and lifting I’m doing now?

Can you use a female urinal and a jug at home? If so, this should work while out as well. You could perhaps wear maxi skirts and no underwear to facilitate the process. If this works you can greatly cut down number of toilet transfers. I use a tall Ride Design cushion which is 2 or 3" taller than toilet seat making it easy to do gravity transfer to seat. When transferring off toilet I remove cushion and do gravity transfer again to my slackened chair seat. This works for me because my next transfer is to my hospital bed which I again lower for gravity transfer. I am 76 and use every trick in the book. I would not be without a hospital. If you are interested in one be sure to get one that lowers below height of wheelchair with cushion then goes high enough for gravity transfers both ways.

Comment

Lots of interesting tips! I bought one of those urinals before having surgery but never could seem to get it right. Men have it SO much easier. I’m going to dig out the urinal and see whether seated I can get it working ok. I’ve been doing dresses and skirts without underwear since I started the lateral transfers. I generally prefer ones I can hike up easily for at home but like wraparounds for going out so I’ve got nothing accidentally falling on a bathroom floor or in a toilet. I flip it open and leave it on the chair before transferring. Where do you stow the urinal and chair cushion? I love the hospital bed tip longterm. I’m doing ok for now going scooter to bedside commode to bed.

Comment

Working...
      X