No announcement yet.

Anyone use a sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once this new world opens up go to a sewing machine store and ask for help learning to see and get a used machine from them

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post

I was thinking about getting the heavy duty machine endo mentioned above, but right now none of the inexpensive ones are available in stores or online. I was thinking I might as well get a new one and then if it doesn't work out or I turn out to be really uncoordinated, I have a month or two to return it.

I would have bought one Saturday, even went to the store, but they were sold out of everything except for really high end expensive models.
      Yes, alot of people have recently taken up the hobby. Maybe try reaching out in your community (local reddit sub?) for someone who needs a break from sewing face masks to help you out? Any older relatives who might have an old machine they are not using?

I have heard Costco in the US has a great return policy but I checked their site and seem to be sold out of machines.

Hand sewing through multiple layers of upholstery sucks. Would not recommend unless you have a lot of patience (and hand strength)

Comment

I used to sew a lot years ago - I even have two machines. It is not difficult if you are not picky about how it looks. And you will get better over time. I would encourage you to get one that will handle the thickness of the velcro and fabrics that you will be using. Otherwie, you are fighting an uphill battle. And make sure that you get replacement needles with it. With what you are trying to do, I imaging that the needles may break a little easier. Good luck! and Enjoy! If you have questions, feel free to ask me.

ckf
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post

Yes, alot of people have recently taken up the hobby. Maybe try reaching out in your community (local reddit sub?) for someone who needs a break from sewing face masks to help you out? Any older relatives who might have an old machine they are not using?

I have heard Costco in the US has a great return policy but I checked their site and seem to be sold out of machines.

Hand sewing through multiple layers of upholstery sucks. Would not recommend unless you have a lot of patience (and hand strength)
          Joanns apparently has a 90 day return policy and pretty good prices from what I can tell.

Comment

We have a Baby Lock machine that has a hand operated speed control, no foot pedal needed!
            Doh!

Comment

Working...
            X