Electric clutch in 993

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric clutch in 993

Anyone any experience or knowledge of shoving electric clutch in 80's or 90's Porsche 911?

Contact DrSporto, Ted, who has a 85? Sportomatic as well as spare trans, etc
    Otherwise, I expect if you sourced the automatic stick shift Beetle parts (shifter as it lifts out of tunnel simply, vacuum servo, and vacuum controlled valve & (vacuum tank can be easily fabbed), you could make a setup like I had in my 88 GTI 5spd racecar which would be more satisfying than the sporto deal, hugely!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

• roller
      roller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot man. You make a lot of sense re the vacuum system. I had simplex servo system in 88 RS Turbo many a moon ago. I'm trying to research to see if the later electronic systems will work. I have one but I don't think it would have the balls for a 911?! I'll hit up Drsporto...
      Can't find DrSporto? Perhaps he left the forum...

OK! He's MrSporto or Mr Sporto-don't know about caps.
    I called him and he's OK w/giving his info to you............he'll reach out to you.

Another friend had some dumb French? clutch control in his E30 325ix 5spd. It basically sucked IMO. Don't know if that was simplex (Guido Simplex?)

Done with my trumpet lesson-phone lines are open
    Last edited by pfcs49; 05-11-2020, 08:18 PM.
    NW NJ

Comment

• roller
      roller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much. Yes, was an early day Guido simplex system, vacuum operated. It wasn't great, didn't work very well if the car got hot in traffic. That was back in Ireland but after I moved to US and then saw they entered the US market, I couldn't get my head around the price difference!

I basically used VW autostick components in an 88 GTI racecar. A fellow SCCA racer from Oregon (who shortly later died of bladder cancer) did it in a ITB BMW 2002. Ironically, in 1990 (Volvos From Hell, the Tour) I raced his car driven by his race partner at PIR and noticed the rig, asked, and was told his partner was paraplegic.
    1995 I got hurt, and ~2000 saw an article about 3 crips in Oregon racing cars, tracked him down and took his info. He was Charlie Hexam and he had a mobility company, Performance Mobility-sold me some used hand controls for street later.
    I built the race car and drove it all over hell with my dealer plate. I'm sure it uses basically the same stuff as the sportos. The VW stuff would work just as well.
    It's wonderful! You can almost let it go in first and move off without stalling-actually if you raised the idle to 1100 it would work great that way.
    But, the load sensitive (vacuum sensed airflow) vacuum control valve operates the clutch just as an able body would; want to pul out into traffic? Rev it to 1300 and hit the cutch button (or release the shift knob) and it dumps pretty quick and you'll need to feed throttle as it does just like the good old days.
    Hold it at 2200 and dump? BURNOUT! So much better than the torque convertor Sporto or autosticks! In fact, that's how VW did it in Europe: same as I described with no convertor, called it Saxomat.
    NW NJ

Comment

Working...
    X