Germany - Alternate Lodging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany - Alternate Lodging

Hi all of you World travelers. Before my injury (T 11 Spinal Infarct 2015) I lived in Germany on the second floor. Getting around is no problem. Now that I'm in a wheelchair, it is difficult but doable. Certain platforms are for disabled entry and exit. People are friendly. All transportation is available for us.
    Now lodging can be difficult. Check each hotel as Accessible does not mean bathrooms. If you can't find normal lodging here is something you might look into.
    Nursing home type of lodging. They are quite nice and modern. If they have a room available, you can stay there for very little money. They provide a doctor, nurse, cleaning staff, full handicapped bathroom, powered beds, closets, three meals a day, and cake and coffee/tea later in the evening. You get a key to the building and your room. I visited 2 years ago and stayed at one in Sandhofen/Mannheim. No regrets.

This almost sounds like a plan...any Names or links you can share for specific research? Some day I'd like to try traveling to europe but I really hate flying, even before the wheelchair.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Comment

Originally posted by Broken1 View Post
      Hi all of you World travelers. Before my injury (T 11 Spinal Infarct 2015) I lived in Germany on the second floor. Getting around is no problem. Now that I'm in a wheelchair, it is difficult but doable. Certain platforms are for disabled entry and exit. People are friendly. All transportation is available for us.
      Now lodging can be difficult. Check each hotel as Accessible does not mean bathrooms. If you can't find normal lodging here is something you might look into.
      Nursing home type of lodging. They are quite nice and modern. If they have a room available, you can stay there for very little money. They provide a doctor, nurse, cleaning staff, full handicapped bathroom, powered beds, closets, three meals a day, and cake and coffee/tea later in the evening. You get a key to the building and your room. I visited 2 years ago and stayed at one in Sandhofen/Mannheim. No regrets.
      Yes please do offer details on the lodging locations! And information in general on the accessibility, economy of life in Germany for SCi folks would be welcome!

Comment

I apologize for being so late on the response. I haven't been here to CC in awhile. When In Sandhofen/Mannheim Germany, here is where I stayed. The link is in German (sorry if you can't read it) I recommend Google Translate. It does not say that they have rooms for us SCI travelers, but if you call them prior to arrival, they can tell you if they have rooms available. https://www.seniorenportal.de/pflegeheim/pflege-und-wohnen-sandhofer-stich-spinnereistrasse-8-68307-mannheim (cut and past the address into your browser.) There are additional places to stay. I recommend checking with every city you wish lodging. You can get some great deals and a nice place to lay your head.

Comment

Thxs. Need to learn German...at least the ads don't bother me
          "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
          T5/6 complete

Comment

Working...
          X