• Blue-footed Booby

Never saw one before

Attached Files

where was this?
    great photo!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Not sure. They are a marine bird living along the American Pacific.

Comment

With climate change, they have been moving further north than their traditional equatorial regions such as the Galapagos Islands. I learned this last year when traveling in the Guaymas area (northern Sea of Cortez), where we saw them nesting much further north than reported before. Where did you see this one? Great photo, by the way!

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Why are they called
          Blue Footed Booby?
          NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            With climate change, they have been moving further north than their traditional equatorial regions such as the Galapagos Islands. I learned this last year when traveling in the Guaymas area (northern Sea of Cortez), where we saw them nesting much further north than reported before. Where did you see this one? Great photo, by the way!

(KLD)
            I saw this one on FB. LOL. One day I'd like to see one in person and take such a great shot myself.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
              Why are they called
              Blue Footed Booby?

So that we can post pics whenever someone goes on about their breast fixation. I expect that name was given by an Englishman.

Comment

A booby is a seabird in the genus Sula, part of the Sulidae family. Boobies are closely related to the gannets (Morus), which were formerly included in Sula.

The genus Sula was introduced by the French zoologist Mathurin Jacques Brisson in 1760.[3] The type species is the brown booby.[4] The name is derived from sula, the Old Norse and Icelandic word for the other member of the family Sulidae, the gannet.[5]

The English name "booby" was possibly based on the Spanish slang term bobo, meaning "stupid",[6] as these tame birds had a habit of landing on board sailing ships, where they were easily captured and eaten. Owing to this, boobies are often mentioned as having been caught and eaten by shipwrecked sailors, notably William Bligh of the Bounty and his adherents during their famous voyage after being set adrift by Fletcher Christian and his followers.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booby

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Why are they called
                  Blue Footed Booby?
                  Yes! But why blue footed
                  NW NJ

Comment

Yes! But why blue footed
                    No idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6EFB34DF-E1E3-4723-AC22-3C85273D03E7.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	2896794
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Working...
                    X